Anele - the true meaning

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Shaun
Servant of the Land

Anele - the true meaning

Post by Shaun »

Warning: spoiler below if you have not read RotE

Am I the only person to notice that Anele is Elena spelt backwards?

Also the general plot seems to be a
Spoiler
repeat of the very first book

Lost Staff of Law,
Find Staff of Law
In finding it release a power that serves the Despiser
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh, yeah, this topic has been covered before. :D

But I didn't notice still I had it pointed out for me...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

5 entries found for anneal.
an·neal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-nl)
v. an·nealed, an·neal·ing, an·neals
v. tr.
To subject (glass or metal) to a process of heating and slow cooling in order to toughen and reduce brittleness.
To strengthen or harden.

v. intr.
To become strengthened or hardened: “the time she needed for opinion to anneal around her policy” (Alexander M. Haig, Jr.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English anelen, from Old English onlan, to set fire to : on, on; see on + lan, to kindle.]

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Main Entry: an·neal
Pronunciation: &-'nE(&)l
Function: transitive verb
1 : to heat and then cool (as steel or glass) usually for softening and making less brittle
2 : to heat and then cool (nucleic acid) in order to separate strands and induce combination at lower temperatures especially with complementary strands of a different species anneal intransitive senses
: to be capable of combining with complementary nucleic acid by a process of heating and cooling <some bacterial nucleic acid anneals well with eukaryotic DNA>

Source: Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

anneal

\An*neal"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Annealed; p. pr. & vb. n. Annealing.] [OE. anelen to heat, burn, AS. an?lan; an on + ?lan to burn; also OE. anelen to enamel, prob. influenced by OF. neeler, nieler, to put a black enamel on gold or silver, F. nieller, fr. LL. nigellare to blacken, fr. L. nigellus blackish, dim. of niger black. Cf. Niello, Negro.] 1. To subject to great heat, and then cool slowly, as glass, cast iron, steel, or other metal, for the purpose of rendering it less brittle; to temper; to toughen.

2. To heat, as glass, tiles, or earthenware, in order to fix the colors laid on them.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

anneal

v : toughen (steel or glass) by a process of gradually heating and cooling; "temper glass" [syn: temper, normalize]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

anneal

anneal: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & Cancer
Love as thou wilt.

UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

not to mention:
2 entries found for anele.

anele

\A*nele"\, v. t. [OE. anelien; an on + AS. ele oil, L. oleum. See Oil, Anoil.] 1. To anoint. --Shipley.

2. To give extreme unction to. [Obs.] --R. of Brunne.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

anele

v : administer an oil or ointment to ; often in a religious ceremony of blessing [syn: anoint, inunct, oil, embrocate]
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
srtrout
Woodhelvennin

anele/elena

Post by srtrout »

I noticed that anele was elena spelled backwards early in the book, and was even a bit disappointed to find that there was another explanation for his existence.

A couple of thoughts: Do we really know "he" is male? - he is old, but hasn't duffed his drawers yet! Maybe he is Elena, but just too old to look very female anymore!

Elena broke the law of Death; could she be brought back in some sort of reincarnation between Cale and a sexy merewife?

(As I have said before, the merewives are a brilliant analogy of addiction; the Haruchai are stressed over servitude and celibacy; thus they will seek the false pleasures of the merewives even when they know them to be false. And now, ultimately, we see a consequence of that false pleasure)

senor trout
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Re: anele/elena

Post by ur-bane »

srtrout wrote:... Do we really know "he" is male? - he is old, but hasn't duffed his drawers yet! ...
Considering Anele, in a moment of clarity, tells Linden that he is the son of Sunder and Hollian, I hardly think we need him to expose himself to know he is male. :wink:

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”