"Stephen Donaldson raped my childhood..."

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Glaive
Stonedownor

"Stephen Donaldson raped my childhood..."

Post by Glaive »

...has been brought up for years by fan-boys in another major franchise (not Donaldson, but another auteur) of note...and there's no such thing as 'bad-press'...
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Hmmmm ... seems like a harsh title ...
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand either the title or the introductory post. Please elaborate.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

As I see it, Glaive is stating that on other boards he's been to, he's heard people say, "Donaldson raped my childhood," probably more or less verbatim, considering the quotation marks. It's understandable. A lot of us (myself included) found the Chronicles quite young and by accident. I think at the time I found the Chrons in the fantasy section of my local library, I had read Tolkien, Pern, Xanth, Dragonlance, and maybe Eddings. I know I wasn't prepared for what happened in LFB (and as a result, just didn't think about it that much).

But just because I understand the statement, doesn't make it fair. Donaldson himself has said he doesn't believe people that young should read the books. It's not his fault where his books get shelved (heck, a lot of libraries put the majority of fantasy in YA). It's not his fault my mom never bothered to find out what I was reading.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

I agree with Syl completely! And as we've heard from other posters who've read it young, it has not disturbed THEIR childhood.

I also think the way SRD describes Covenant's reaction show's that this was a despicable act that Covenant was ashamed of and spent much of his time in the Land trying to atone for it.

[BTW, the same statement about childhood could be made for reading ANY adult fiction; I would NOT have wanted to read the GAP series at a young age!!]
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
aiken
Stonedownor

Post by aiken »

What franchise fans are the complainers?
Glaive
Stonedownor

Post by Glaive »

Star Wars fans.
Sorry for the media switch, but on many film forums the cry of 'Lucas raped my childhood' is a commom one with his prequal series of Star Wars.

Just wondering if that sort of BS will birth here.
Last edited by Glaive on Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallan
Ramen

Post by tallan »

*blinks* That just sounds so silly. I was 10, maybe 11 the first time I read 1st and 2nd Chrons. And I loved them. Maybe I wasn't mature enough to fully understand the horror of rape, cause I had no serious problems with forgiving Covenant for it, but... In that case it was a good thing. :)
aiken
Stonedownor

Post by aiken »

I am still trying to figure that one out. SW fans (including myself) rightly lament the prequel movies, b/c they are lousy in almost every respect except FX (and Natalie Portman). But SRD fans? I did not like the Lena rape scene either--I read it 3 times b/c I could not believe what had happened--I was sure I had misinterpreted it. I was revolted and it took me a long time to have any positive feelings for TC.

OK, maybe I am dense here. Are you suggesting that SRD has lost his narrative voice and is ruining the TC series? Or are you saying that you liked Runes and hope that similar fan misgivings don't arise with Runes?
Glaive
Stonedownor

Post by Glaive »

aiken wrote:
OK, maybe I am dense here. Are you suggesting that SRD has lost his narrative voice and is ruining the TC series? Or are you saying that you liked Runes and hope that similar fan misgivings don't arise with Runes?
The latter.
Funky Staff of Law
Servant of the Land

Post by Funky Staff of Law »

I think it is inevitable that some people who read the most recent stuff will be horrified/disappointed/pissed off because you will never please everyone all of the time. And people have had a very long time to interpret the frist two series the way they personally want. Have SRD come back and possibly redefine their understanding of it might jar, on the other hand it might fit like a glove.

Horses and courses, I believe. It is exactly what it happening with Star Wars - except of course the new SW are also badly executed, nevermind the actual story ideas behind them.
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

No raping here - the love affair continues!
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
Corruption
Servant of the Land

Stephen Donaldson SAVED my childhood

Post by Corruption »

First read LFB aged around 14 I guess, finished the whole 1st and 2nd Chronicles within a year. Boy, did those novels save my life! From the dark depths of my depression Donaldson taught me that we can derive real-life knowledge about ourselves and our relationships to each other and the world we live in. TCoTC has probably done more to keep me sane than any amount of counselling I could have received.

Just hoping the Last Chronicles is up to scratch. Currently on page 350 of Runes, and it's all good so far....
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

One of my daughters is currently reading LFB. I asked her last night, "So -- did you read Chapter 7 yet?"

She said, "I'm on Chapter 9 now."

I said, "Ah, you're past the rape, then. So what do you think of Covenant -- is he an annoying git?"

She said, "Pretty much, yeah."

I said, "Well, don't worry. So far, he's spent 7 books paying for it!"

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Stephen Donaldson SAVED my childhood

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Corruption wrote:First read LFB aged around 14 I guess, finished the whole 1st and 2nd Chronicles within a year. Boy, did those novels save my life! From the dark depths of my depression Donaldson taught me that we can derive real-life knowledge about ourselves and our relationships to each other and the world we live in. TCoTC has probably done more to keep me sane than any amount of counselling I could have received.
Interesting, without getting into details I also consider myself "saved" by the 1st Chronicles and also at around age 14!

I give credit to Mhoram though. He was the father figure that I didn't have. And I tried to handle my world getting turned upside down by Juvenile Diabetes that same year with the dispassion and attitude of a BloodGuard.
And of course, my appreciation of the beauty of the Earth just practically EXPLODED by the end of the 1st Chronicles.
I've never looked at a tree the same way since!
And I mean that in a good way not being afraid that I was going to get blasted by getting too close. :twisted:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Donaldson too saved me from Teenaged depression. The chronicels made me realize that no matter how....worthless, or how much someone feels like they don't belong, everyone has a place, everyone belongs, and it's important not to be ruled by negative feelings, especially your own. My kids are way too young for the Chonicles...heck they're too young for the Hobbit, but the lessons I've taught myself from these books, I've used in my parenting.

-There. Not all of my posts have to be jokes!!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

drew wrote:Donaldson too saved me from Teenaged depression. The chronicels made me realize that no matter how....worthless, or how much someone feels like they don't belong, everyone has a place, everyone belongs, and it's important not to be ruled by negative feelings, especially your own. My kids are way too young for the Chonicles...heck they're too young for the Hobbit, but the lessons I've taught myself from these books, I've used in my parenting.
I follow the WWCID program with my kids myself.
It's worked pretty well so far.
"What Would Charles Ingalls Do?"
:D
drew wrote: There. Not all of my posts have to be jokes!!

"Joy is in the ears that hear"
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I like that ALOT better that the WWMA(LF)D sceneo.
Spoiler
what would mr. avery (linden's father) do
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

*shudder* don't even want to contemplate that scenario :P

k, this is totally jumping back a subject or two here...but I think that the people who use the "raped my childhood" sentence don't understand rape.

After all, the only place you read a book you're not necessarily willing to read is in school (and even then, people choose, whether the teachers like it or not). Rape implies, no, declares that it is not done at the victim's will.
Yeah, I know...it's probably just a metaphor, and a hyperbolic one, at that...but it's not a very well thought out one, obviously.
In general, I don't think people here would even dream to use such a phrase in relation to Donaldson and his works...the man is too highly respected, and I think people know better than to think that.
I'm not trying to sound harsh *rueful grin* I just can't seem to find a way to write all that without the edge in the tone.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

But folks, that phrase doesn't have to do anything with Lena's rape in LFB. What they basically say is that by creating the abysmal prequels Lucas has practically taken away their illusions and fantasies that they had experienced having seen the original SW films in the eighties of the last century.
Now I do not think that will happen to TCTC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”