KW Anthology - and this time we mean it!

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Having copy right is good, but that does not stop some people from picking the stories apart and taking up some of the ideas.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Since the only people buying it will be Watchers, that shouldn't be much of a problem.
lhaughlhann
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by lhaughlhann »

My, my, how this thread has grown! It looks like things are really coming along. Edge came over to twist my arm and kick my lazy butt into writing something. Tell you the truth, I'm a little nervous. I've never really submitted anything before for something big like this. But I'll give it a try.

Fiction: sci-fi/fantasy, up to 10 000 words, due date sometime in Jan 2005. Anything else I need to know? (when it's done I'll ask who to give it to).
"The universe does not give first warnings. Or second chances."

Go-OpenSource
ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

Is there a place on the forum where the fiction is going to be posted for feedback, etc., or do you just do it and pm it to someone?

(Another IBDoF-er and I are posting our Nano Novels up as we go, and it is GREAT fun. I LOVE the instant feedback.)

BTW--if anyone's worried about copyright, all you have to do to establish intellectual ownership is have it notarized. I bet everyone knows at least one notary. My mom is a notary--and the business manager at my school is a notary too.

That's what I do.

Empress Cho hammers the KABC of Evil.

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Take that, you Varlet! :P
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

aTOMiC wrote: My only true concern about the length of each story is that I would like for everyone who wants to contribute something to have the chance to be included. As I recall Cafepress, for example, charges for each book depending upon the number of pages. I would hate for our anthology to end up costing as much as a popular hardback and become a hardship for members to purchase because of the overall page count. I would like to maximize the number of submissions if possible. We have a lot of very creative people at KW and I'm anxious to read everyone's work.
It's true that they do, but I don't think it will be a problem. They charge $3 for every 100 pages, plus $7 for the binding. (assuming we are going to use perfect bound.)

A 5000 word story will be about 15 pages, if I'm not mistaken... so If we had 10 stories averaging at about 5000 words, we would be looking at paying $11.50. If we had 15 stories averaging at 5000 words (which I VERY MUCH doubt we will), it would be about $13.75 (225 pages).
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Myste wrote:Maybe we need to have a discussion about what the parameters will be--how much editing are we actually going to do <snip> Also, it might be a good idea, when we get to the editing process, to decide just how much back-and-forthing we want to do with our authors
:D Myste. Glad you decided yes. :wink:

I'd say, however much it takes to make the best possible story. We don't need to limit ourselves to a KW readership. My publisher sister tells me one can sell self-published books on Amazon for a percentage. (Not sure how that system works.)

I'm counting on the selection committee to send on only the stories that make good reading. I don't want to spend months (perfectly possible) working with an author and finally have to tell them the story would drag the book down if we included it. (OK, a little kinder than that.) But you did say you want this to be to professional standards.

Regarding copyrights, intellectual ownership applies here. My website makes a statement on each page that the article belongs to the contributor, and that settles that. Yes, with the little copyright symbol. :wink:
Myste wrote:What is the schedule?
As long as it takes to make the story good. This won't be just a matter of one editor's taste, we have two editors partly to make sure a story isn't neglected just because one person doesn't like it.

Two people have already announced they are done, Jay and Loremaster. As soon as we have a selection committee, the committee could decide whether to pass those stories on to the editors and we could get started. That would help avoid a logjam at the end of January.

Most of us are busy people in our regular lives, and we need to work with that, so deadlines don't cause people to drop out.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Good point about including the good-stuff Joy. I can be quite tough when it comes to what I read, which is why I put my name forward for the selection team.

Speaking of which, when is that team going to be finalized, and how will it work. Will they just pass on any work deemed good enough, or will they be limited to a certain number of works?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Put VS down for the selection committee. :D :wink:
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The selection committee has been tentatively set with the following members: dlbpharmd, Matrixman, and Variol Son.
I recommend that the team put their heads together and come up with the procedure for members to submit their stories and let us all know. I suggest a submissions thread for information from the committee.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
ZefaLefeLaH
Banned

Post by ZefaLefeLaH »

What's the timeline for this project?
The first ever kitten psychologist
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

ZefaLefeLaH wrote:What's the timeline for this project?
aTOMiC wrote:The schedule is tentatively set at 60 days or the end of January with the hope of the book being available sometime in February. The true publication date should be associated with the editing process. If a large number of submissions are entered near or at the deadline there may be a great deal of editing to do before we can arrive at a publication date. I plan to submit my story in the next 30 days and I've heard that some members have already completed their work so there may be a good deal of editing work completed before we reach the deadline. We'll just have to be flexible with the publication date. Of course I haven’t touched on what the selection process might entail.
Here ya go, Zeph. You need to submit something, and you have two months to do it.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Ok...so where do I submit my story? Or was that already posted and I missed it?-jay
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

kevinswatch wrote:Ok...so where do I submit my story? Or was that already posted and I missed it?-jay
As of yet there is nowhere. We are going to sort out the selection committee first...

I think it's safe to say that the selection committee has been selected.

Matrixman
Dlbpharmd
variol son

You are in. From here you will need to discuss amongst yourselves (and with myself and TOM), about the ins and outs of the selection process.
Last edited by hierachy on Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

That was fast! You're really cracking the whip this time around, WB. :)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

He's doing a great job.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Im not on the list :(
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hmm, what to make of this? I would be quite willing to give up my place on the selection team for Queeaqueg. I thought I would be more useful as a proofreader anyway, as Dragonlily said. But I'm happy to help the anthology along in whatever capacity Hierachy deems appropriate. :)
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Don't worry Queeaqueg. Now this means that you can submit something. :D

MM, dlbpharmd, I'll Pm you later tonight with some thoughts.

Thanks Hi and Tom for choosing me. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

We considered all applicants, and the choices were made based on what we know of them and their appropriate skills (or likelihood thereof). Please do not offer to switch places. If you wish to resign from the committee, a full re selection will be held.

But don't! We need you :P
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I can't be bothered to read this whole thread... can someone explain what's going on?

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”