A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy
by Patricia A. McKillip

What are your thoughts on this series and/or the author, good, bad, crap, Steven Erikson has his little thumbs up label on the book, but I don't know, I picked it up cuz it was in the bargain section all three in one anthology for $10, so I figured at that price it doesnt matter if it sucks. But still would like to hear your thoughts if you've read it. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I loved the Riddlemaster trilogy. It is a very interesting story, keeps you guessing and trying to figure out just what is going on throughout all 3 books. I loved it even more the second time I read it.

Go for it, and enjoy. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I'm a huge Patricia McKillip fan, and the Riddle-Master is an excellent place to start. (My av comes from the pb of Heir of Sea and Fire.) She's a terrific high fantasist. The only books of hers I've had trouble penetrating are The Sorceress and the Cygnet and The Cygnet and the Firebird; I've read them, but I finished them feeling like my understanding only skittered across the surface.

SRD is a big fan as well--I think I read somewhere that his fave of hers is The Book of Atrix Wolfe.

In other words, Go for it!

:D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Really good. Lots of mystery, lots of magic, nothing 'usual'. You will cry.
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

I first read the Riddlemaster trilogy back in the early 80s.

I've re-read it probably twenty times since then, and every time I find something I hadn't found before, something that makes the work more and more enjoyable, deeper and more rooted, vaster and more wonderful.

It is, I think, one of the greatest works of fantasy ever written -- moving, mysterious, powerful, deep beyond knowledge, and altogether glorious.

Read it. Then re-read it. And then do it again.

I can't recommend these books highly enough.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Morgon and Raederle rule! One of the greatest fantasy couples of all time! Myste, for one, has a great Raederle avatar! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

:oops: :D Cheers, danlo, thanks! :D

It was actually McKillip who got me started on Donaldson--he was in a dedication in one of her books, or maybe he blurbed one or something, and I decided, well, if he likes her, I might like him....The friend of my friend is my friend, etc.

So read it already, Fiz!
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Sounds interesting. I just looked on Amazon and found the trilogy in one volume for £7.19 new (about $11). I might have to get it 8)
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Yeah, its on the shelf but I'm in two books already so I'll get to it eventually. I'm reading The Gunslinger, & Deadhouse Gates so it'll be done. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I bought all three at the local used bookstore for a resounding dollar 25! 8O 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I've had to buy second and third copies of my 3-book set because I keep reading them to pieces. And I like the individual books because they're easier to carry around than an omnibus.

8O I want to go to danlo's local bookshop. $1.25?!?!? Holy cow!
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have read the three books myself and I must say that although they were very good they did not stick in my memory like they seem to have done for some of those posting here.

However I recently read "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld", and got a very favorable impression of McKillip's other work so I have now ordered the book of Atrix Wolfe from Amazon.uk.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

tonyz wrote:I've re-read it probably twenty times since then, and every time I find something I hadn't found before, something that makes the work more and more enjoyable, deeper and more rooted, vaster and more wonderful.
I just re-read The Riddlemaster, and I have to say, I feel that way about it too. I understand and love it more and more with each re-read. Really a wonderful, moving story.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I actually just picked up the book club omnibus edition of the trilogy, just for kicks (& because it was super-cheap [$3] on ebay). They named it "Riddle of Stars" and its cover is only slightly better than the jacket on the original pb of Riddle-Master--you know, the one where Morgon looks like He-Man? Well, on Riddle of Stars, he looks about 12 years old. I like McKillip's new covers much better--Kinuko Kraft is wonderful!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

My copy has this cover.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
seven reds, seven blacks
Servant of the Land

Post by seven reds, seven blacks »

from what i can say now (and that is not very substantial since i have not yet finished), it is a fantastic work with a really unique way of telling things. the atmosphere is so compelety unconvential and enigmatic. i think it is also a great plus to transcribe magic from the usual meaning to a different level (riddles and music, wow.). do you know the cover of the fantasy masterworks edition? i think that one is a great description of the whole atmosphere. hum, i have the books for one and a half years or so, and still haven´t finished (had to restart also because i was completely confused), which is really strange now that i think of it... have to post more later, now that i got meself spurred to read them :).

cheers,
srsb
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It arrived in the post a couple days ago - will read soon!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think you will enjoy them, Murrin! McKillip is a very gifted writer. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Ordered it today from my favourite local book shoppe!
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I hope that you will enjoy it. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”