Fatal Revenant POV

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

jelerak
Bloodguard

Fatal Revenant POV

Post by jelerak »

Maybe this has been addressed in another topic. Sorry for the duplication, if that is the case. But what do ya'll think of Fatal Revenant being written from TCs point of view? His story from the point of Jeremiah's journey to the land? After all, this is another one of his chronicles, 'The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?'. Shouldn't he get some POV storyline viewpoint?

Just an idea...let me know what ya'll think.

Steve
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome to KevinsWatch, and the Runes forum!

I for one would love for FR to be written from TC's viewpoint. I agree, this is supposed to be his Last Chronicles.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

If FR is written from TC’s point of view then that will effectively kill any suspense as to whether it really is TC. I myself expect this will be a major mystery of the book. Although of course I could be wrong.
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

SRD will have to get to that point at sometime. I hope it's the next book. I mean a few blurbs here and there from TC and then the ending. I think it will be like TIW in that it will be the story of what happened to TC and Jerimiah while Linden was doing her time-travel thing. :D
I like others here can't wait to read Hellfire again :x
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Maybe it will change. Like the other Chronicles... I reckon though, I definitly know tha it isn't going to start with Linden as the view point... never has Donaldson written a book with many characters view points to take, to have the same view point at the end of one book, to having the same at the beginning of the next one.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

If you take a book in thirds, which is often the way major plot themes are developed/resolved, I cannot see the Linden/Covenant relationship being resolved before the end of the first third, rather than the end. The first third scenario would involve an event that would be of greater magnitude than the resolution (of Covenant and Linden). This would be more in keeping with the promise that SRD has made of a "ride" and would be less 'manufactured' in terms of suspension, than the re-encounter type promises of lesser works.

So I think the viewpoint will remain consistent and I must say, the viewpoint is Linden now through the necessity to drive the story, if the story needs driving through another character (TC), then it will shift accordingly.

If, as I hope we are gifted with the "real" TC back again, then the Last Chronicles will be from the same point of view as the previous Chronicles.
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I'd like to see the next book written from Stave's POV. I empathize with Linden losing her son and all (I'd certainly be quick to sign up to the "Luke Skywalker school of hack and slash" if something happend to one of MY kids), but I think Stave now has the more compelling story and internal conflict. It's closer to the scale of Covenant's and Linden's internal struggles from the first two chronicles than any other character's. And we haven't had a Haruchai POV since Gilden Fire (well, except for a few brief paragraphs of Bannor getting Covenant out of Earthroot), so perhaps he's planning to do something along those lines.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Maybe we will see the first part of the book written from Stave's point of view... though I think it might be from Liand's point of view also.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Romeo wrote:I'd like to see the next book written from Stave's POV. I empathize with Linden losing her son and all (I'd certainly be quick to sign up to the "Luke Skywalker school of hack and slash" if something happend to one of MY kids), but I think Stave now has the more compelling story and internal conflict. It's closer to the scale of Covenant's and Linden's internal struggles from the first two chronicles than any other character's. And we haven't had a Haruchai POV since Gilden Fire (well, except for a few brief paragraphs of Bannor getting Covenant out of Earthroot), so perhaps he's planning to do something along those lines.
Yeah, good point - Stave's character is definitely the most interesting.
Tim The Enchanter
Servant of the Land

Post by Tim The Enchanter »

A lot of this depends on the nature of Covenant. I would like to see an extended section where Covenant relates things from the viewpoint of one of the dead and whatever social life he's had with the host of other dead folk in the history of the books: Berek, Foamfollower, Mohram, Cair Caravel and other Forrestals, Elena, Lena, Prothall, Atarian, Pitchwife, etc. etc.

But something tells me that if there is a "great gig in the sky" chapter, SRD is saving it for the last book.

And it probably isn't going to be some long extended party either.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

What if Covenant still didn't beleive in the Land...?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It would be totally wild to have Jeremiah's POV-but maybe we'll have to wait till The Last Dark for that... :?
fall far and well Pilots!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Liand is my bet.
He doesn't know anything about anybody or anyplace.
His viewpoint would be fresh no matter who/what/where/when we were introduced to.

It would give us oldtimers a feeling of "newness" and newbies a place to get introduced.

imho!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

SRD said in an interview that he wants to show us how Foul became what he is. Maybe he will start with Foul's point of view??
I for one think it would be wild.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I would love to read this story from Foul's point of view!
Ken Socrates
Servant of the Land

Post by Ken Socrates »

I expect that it will continue with Linden's POV and the tale of Covenant and Jeremiah's arrival at Revelstone will be told in similar fashion as "Tull's Tale". I hope not, of course, because sometime Linden's POV can be a bit...bland, I guess. I think the story will initially revolve around the question of "Which Covenant is this?" Which time period has he come from, etc.. Perhaps Linden will be forced to make the choice between sending him back or keeping him in the present. Lots of possibilities.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeha... the more I think about it, the more Liands point of view makes sense... I don't really see Stave's point of view coming in it yet... And Foul... no... I doubt it... though I guess a lot of people would like it, but to be honest, I wouldn't. It's pretty obvious what he feels towards everything. And that's comtempt. Pretty boring.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”