My ultimate to play TC in a film version

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Ossie
Servant of the Land

My ultimate to play TC in a film version

Post by Ossie »

Probably because there's obviously so much of him in the character, whenever I envision TC I always see Stephen Donaldson himself. Even the physical description seems pretty close. May be a bit old for TC in the first chronicles now, but SRD is *exactly* how I imagine TC would look now. So in trying to get actors who fit that look, someone mentioned Harrison Ford in an earlier post, who would be close-ish, but you probably need someone who appears a bit taller & gaunter. What about Jeremy Irons?
"Amok, *what* are you?"
"I am the seventh ward of High Lord Kevin's Lore"

.....stunned silence from reader.....
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Gotta say too old there too.

I'm sticking with Robert Downey, Jr.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I always liked SRD's pick, Anthony Hopkins; now, if only we could go back about 30 or so years in a time machine and kidnap a younger Hopkins to play TC . . . Oh well, back to the drawing board!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Not to argue with the author, but I can't see Hopkins doing it. He's a fine actor, but I don't see the required desolation in Hopkins' eyes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Worm of Despite
Lord

And you see it in Downey Junior?! Oh well.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Have you seen Less Than Zero?
Worm of Despite
Lord

Yes; read the book, saw the film; thought it was plenty stylish, but none of the novel's shock value. Yeah, Downey's a fine actor, but so is Hopkins; I don't think the desolation is just "there" in his eyes--more like part of the overall act/feel; it's something I think Hopkins could/can do just as easily as Downey or better.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Eh, different strokes. Don't get me wrong, Hopkins is a damn fine actor (better than Downey), but I just can't picture him pulling off TC's range of emotion.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

My choice is always Christian Bale. And now that he's shed 60 for his new movie he really is guant! I always get a kick out of other fans at Cons and our fellow Elohimfesters when they first meet SRD and whisper to me, "OMG he is Thomas Covenant!". (then they always cast a quick glance at his right hand, for some reason... :wink: )
fall far and well Pilots!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

No doubt about Donaldson. I never really got that 'till I got my hardbacks a couple of years ago and finally saw what he looked like.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:My choice is always Christian Bale. And now that he's shed 60 for his new movie he really is guant! I always get a kick out of other fans at Cons and our fellow Elohimfesters when they first meet SRD and whisper to me, "OMG he is Thomas Covenant!". (then they always cast a quick glance at his right hand, for some reason... :wink: )
And he's gained weight again for Batman Begins. But yes, perfect choice, danlo.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Re: My ultimate to play TC in a film version

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Ossie wrote:Probably because there's obviously so much of him in the character, whenever I envision TC I always see Stephen Donaldson himself. Even the physical description seems pretty close
Every time I see a picture of SRD, I think "This is Covenant." The look in his eye, particularly in the pic on his website - I think this is the look Covenant gave people after returning to his own world after TPTP - the look of someone who's seen or suffered too much, and knew something nobody else could, but was finally content with a job well done. *shrug*

;) ;) BTW, isn't there already one of these thread going somwhere... and isn't it, like, 60 pages long... ;) ;)
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
francois60
Servant of the Land

Post by francois60 »

Ice Cube!

Covenant doesn't have to be white and Ice Cube plays a good antihero.
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

No, no, no.
It's gonna be Jim Carrey.
And it's gonna be a comedy, with a touch of drama.
A cross between Ace Ventura and The Truman Show.

Oooooh! It's gonna be goooood! :evil: :evil: :evil:
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Kymbierlee
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kymbierlee »

What is this Saturn and his representatives bit..? Did they somehow mix up TCTC with ancient Rome???
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

Someone didn't like the name "Lord Foul," I suppose...but Saturn? That seems silly to me. Ah, well...we knew that any Covenant movie would end up being blasphemous to the fans...this would just be the first sign of it.
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

They may have meant 'Satan'. Could be a stupid typo.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Yeah, but Foul's not exactly Satan either... Yeah, yeah, evil incarnate, blah blah, but I see them as two different concepts, and if somebody puts such an overused spin on foul, I'm gonna be pretty sad.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Darkman for TC

Post by Khat »

I agree with Danlo
My choice is always Christian Bale. And now that he's shed 60 for his new movie he really is guant! I always get a kick out of other fans at Cons and our fellow Elohimfesters when they first meet SRD and whisper to me, "OMG he is Thomas Covenant!". (then they always cast a quick glance at his right hand, for some reason... )
Since I had to take a look at Batman to see what Christian Bale looked like I happened to remember Liam Neilson - if he was only made to look a bit younger. We already know he can be made to look like he is in despair with Darkman. I think he would be my pick ...

I am editing this as I just remembered who I think would be quite good at being TC: Check out ALIAS on ABC Wednesday night - the guy who plays Agent Vaughn - MICHAEL VARTAN.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”