The theme of rape in SRD's writings

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

jelerak
Bloodguard

The theme of rape in SRD's writings

Post by jelerak »

It seems to be a recurring theme in SRDs works that there is a victim and an abuser in his SF and fantasy series. A necessary plot vehicle? Maybe.

Here's the scoop...

Mordant's Need - Master Eremis to Terisa Morgan

The Gap Cycle - Nic Succorso and Angus Thermopyle to Morn Hyland

The First Chronicles - Thomas Covenant to Lena

The Second Chronicles -

Gibbon's touch to Linden Avery, a type of rape in her mind
Linden Avery to Thomas Covenant, his possession a rape in both of their minds
The Sunbane to the Land - obvious rape there

So who will be the victim and who will be the antagonizer in this Last Chronicles? If you follow SRDs themes, it's bound to happen somewhere down the line. Who?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

[mod edit of the original title]
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I think Time was the victem, and Linden was the agresser.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Tom
Stonedownor

Post by Tom »

I don't think SRD tries to make rape a theme, but rather he isn't afraid to be brutally honest about the feelings and actions his characters would go through in the situation being described.

Angus and Nick are true scum-of-the-galaxy bad guys, and if you are afraid to depict them as rapists, then part of that hardcore bad guy image isn't realized.

TC is overwhelmed by his vitality and attention upon entering The Land for the first time. He loses control and the rape of Lena ensues, but not as an added scene for thrills. The results of the rape change the future of The Land.

I've never seen SRD go for the cheap thrills. If he includes rape, theft, murder, pillaging, etc, it is to further the story and make the eventual resolution to troubles the characters are having have much more emotional involvement from the reader. It is not a case of "ho hum the good guys won", it is a case of "holy crap, after what those folks have been through they deserve a victory and have earned the right to go on another day."

Tom

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”