How many readers

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Sergio
Woodhelvennin

How many readers

Post by Sergio »

Curious, were there ever any stats that indicated how many readers there are of The Chronicles of Covenant?

:lol: and on a personal note, how many females? I swore to myself that if I ever saw a woman reading any of these books (on the bus, subway, etc) I would just have to walk up to her and ask her out..."cold!" No intro or anything...
LOL

Sergio
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Re: How many readers

Post by MrKABC »

Sergio wrote:Curious, were there ever any stats that indicated how many readers there are of The Chronicles of Covenant?

:lol: and on a personal note, how many females? I swore to myself that if I ever saw a woman reading any of these books (on the bus, subway, etc) I would just have to walk up to her and ask her out..."cold!" No intro or anything...
LOL

Sergio
LOL... I wonder about female readers myself... My wife saw the covers of the Chronicles and said, "why are you reading children's books?"

(The ORIGINAL covers, red, blue, green, purple, gold...)
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

original

Post by Sergio »

lost my orginal LFB, red...i miss it, the other's look out of place with my new copy
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

My parrot (ca 1983 or so) chewed off the top half of my POWER THAT PRESERVES cover...

I have a matching set of all books except for WGW, that one is in hardcover! <g>

DAMN they all look battered now - my TWL copy is disintegrating, time to apply lots of packing tape... :D
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
KATIE
Servant of the Land

Post by KATIE »

Well gentlemen, I am a woman and I have read all six books and am curently reading the new one.

If your women dont like these books it is because they havent read them.

It is all about self love and self lothing. women can relate
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

There are plenty of women on the Watch, Sergio! I think you might be out of luck, though. Most are spoken for. ;)

I think fantasy never has been as appealing to women as to men, though I don't know why. Probably a gender role thing that doesn't allow women as many chances to relate to traditional fantasy characters.

If you want a rough indication of how many people are aware of the Chronicles... Runes was #18 on the best-seller list back when it first came out. Can't say how many actual readers this would be, unfortunately.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

well i wasn't looking for any. but i always did have that thought (bus, book, female). funny thing is, i am not a huge sci-fi fantasy reader, but this serious just instantly clicked with me. sure, the xanth novels are fun, and the sword of shanara (sp) was also a great. let me not forget elric. and yes, i liked the LOTR.

but the TC series, just went so beyond that with me connection wise that it means so much to me. anyway just a thought. i mean when i was in high school, not one girl knew about LOTR. but now, it's a totally different story.

as for #18, yeah, not a clue what that means. woudl love to know what kind of a fan base it has tho.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

KATIE wrote:

It is all about self love and self lothing. women can relate
I agree! And I think one of the great things about SRD's work is the themes are to a great extent non-gender specific.

I am also a female and SRD is my favourite author. Sure, I think there are some things that might put a female off reading SRD's work (rape of Lena, Morn's rape in the Gap are the two obvious ones) but that has never really concerned me. I mean, those things aren't just for the sake of being there.
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

>>>It is all about self love and self lothing. women can relate

recently have gotten hooked on 'sex and the city' and depsite what some of my ex's say, i am a man!

what i man to say here is that we all think this is a guy thing, this is a girl thing, and in the end we're all messed up the same way...we just come in different packaging ;-)

sergio
Damelon_Giantfriend
Servant of the Land

Part Of The Story

Post by Damelon_Giantfriend »

Seareach wrote:
KATIE wrote:

I am also a female and SRD is my favourite author. Sure, I think there are some things that might put a female off reading SRD's work (rape of Lena, Morn's rape in the Gap are the two obvious ones) but that has never really concerned me. I mean, those things aren't just for the sake of being there.
Those things are in their to show what type of changes covenant undergoes and if that hadent happened, some crucial story parts would not have happened.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I talked about Runes being an Oprah's book club book a few monthes ago in the Runes forum...I still think it could work :D
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Another female here, Sergio.....
Seareach wrote:Sure, I think there are some things that might put a female off reading SRD's work (rape of Lena, Morn's rape in the Gap are the two obvious ones) but that has never really concerned
But Seareach, have you ever read any of those ridiculous historical romances? They are markedted 100% to women and almost all of them involve rape or stop just short there of! (You know how it goes, all of us females have these rape fantasy's :roll: ) I just don't see the rapes having that big of an impact gender wise. Just my opinion. :)
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Kymbierlee
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kymbierlee »

Sergio- apparently you and I have been at all of the wrong bus stops..... :lol:
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I am a female! Interesting about the dating thing. I went out on a date with this guy from yahoo personals just because he had read TCTC. BIG MISTAKE! We ended up in a dispute over just about everything in the books. Hah! We I met Mr. Donaldson and now I know *I* was right! lol So there. Never saw him again. *whew*

Not that this implies any guys on here are like that one. I am sure you are all quite nice. I met some at Eloimfest, so I know for sure.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

Kymbierlee wrote:Sergio- apparently you and I have been at all of the wrong bus stops..... :lol:
:?: i wonder if it has to do with the fact that we are in two different states? :?:
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sergio »

SoulQuest1970 wrote:I went out on a date with this guy from yahoo personals just because he had read TCTC.
wow, i never realized people would post that in their ad, you know:

i am ya tall, this color hair, etc....

although actually now that i think about tho it makes sense, things that are important, etc...nevermind
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

LOL I guess it was in my ad somewhere. In some section of favorite things. I only learned that he had read the books when we spoke on the phone first. We got to talking about books. I was seriously trying to find things to talk about because it was a really weird conversation. I only went out with him because I figured anyone that had read TC had to be alright. I was wrong lol. Heck, check my personal... it may be on there. It is yahoo personals and my name is... SoulQuest1970... go figure. lol
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I'm a girl too, and have been reading fantasy since I was in Jr High school..waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 70's. The first fantasy I read was The Hobbit...the rest is history. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Same with me, Furls! I love these books and I am a girl.
The King has one more move.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Sergio wrote:>>>It is all about self love and self lothing. women can relate

recently have gotten hooked on 'sex and the city' and depsite what some of my ex's say, i am a man!

what i man to say here is that we all think this is a guy thing, this is a girl thing, and in the end we're all messed up the same way...we just come in different packaging ;-)

sergio
What drives me nuts is the concept that some books are girls' books, and a guy reading them is odd - some people think it is odd that I am a massive Pride and Prejudice fan. I think it is easier for girls to read books that are seen as a boys' thing; contrawise, it is more difficult.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”