Designing and selling some new Watch/TC T-shirts

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

You know ... I'd be interested in some KW or TCTC shirts too.

Any way that you could get the artwork for some of the TC books put on to shirts??
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Since the jacket artwork from the books is copyrighted, I don't think that'd be a such good idea, even though it would be nice. But maybe some of the Watch art...I bet Edge would have some wicked cool idears!
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

That's what I'm saying, definately. I wonder if Mr Donaldson would have any suggestions for what he thought was a neat idea? That'd be interesting :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

That picture of Kevin o the Watch at TheLand.com would seem appropriate
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Well, of course the book covers are copyrighted,silly ... but why let that be an obstacle? How hard would it be to approach the artist (or whoever held the copyright) and ask them? What's the worse they could say ... "No"?? It'd be worth finding out what it would take to use those images! I mean ... their friggin' classic!! If we're not looking to profit from them, why not get the images we want and be willing to pay for them?
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I have a couple of tee-shirts with book covers from McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series on them, so it can be done. I suppose it's simply a matter of obtaining permission and paying royalties.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Metal-Demon wrote:Well, of course the book covers are copyrighted,silly ... but why let that be an obstacle? How hard would it be to approach the artist (or whoever held the copyright) and ask them? What's the worse they could say ... "No"?? It'd be worth finding out what it would take to use those images! I mean ... their friggin' classic!! If we're not looking to profit from them, why not get the images we want and be willing to pay for them?
:D It's actually more likely that the publisher owns the copyright to the jacket art--usually it's done on commission, and the pub pays for full rights so they can use it any way they want to, publicity, marketing, tattoos for the editorial assistants, etc. ;) Since we're charging money for them, we--and by extension, Cafepress--are technically profiting from the sale of copyrighted material, whether or not the money just goes for maintaining KW. As you say, though, there's no harm in writing to the Publisher and asking permission, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to charge us for use--unless we could convince them that's it's all just publicity.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Like I said in my post - even if they did want to charge us for the use of those images, I'd be more than happy to pay my share.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

One t-shirt idea I had was some Ranyhyn running... no words on the front... then kevinswatch on the back.

Another I would love would say "Joy is in the ears that hear".
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Oh! Oh!

and...

"I wouldn't know a prophecy if it fell on me."
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

I can help...

Post by Khat »

I am part of a new company (in it's infancy really) It is called Important Imprints.
We make t-shirts, buttons, mugs etc - but our premise is to provide NON-bulk amounts for individual puposes.
I have an idea we used for some Grateful Dead buttons. If you are interested email me and I will work it out with my partner - who happened to let me borrow his SRD books so many years ago! This means he is a fan and may really get into helping with this project.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Very cool! Bring it on! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

OK Danlo - I am on it - I will let you all know what prices we can offer and what items. (arn't we all starving readers here?) - We can use anyone's design as long as it isn't copyrighted. If it is - we need to find out how to gain permission and so forth. Since we also own a web hosting and design company, I don't see any reason we can't set up a store in the future.

Anyone have specific wants or ideas let me know!
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

As for logos and sayings, how about tried and true, in huge scrawled red font, Do You RAVE!?!?!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Anything but "Do You Rave?" ... I'd hate to think that people will see that and immediately think of Extacsy-filled "rave" parties. :roll:

Seriously though ... I'd like to see some artwork rather than just a logo and a phrase.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

Metal-Demon wrote:Anything but "Do You Rave?" ... I'd hate to think that people will see that and immediately think of Extacsy-filled "rave" parties. :roll:

Seriously though ... I'd like to see some artwork rather than just a logo and a phrase.
You've got a point there Metal-Demon!
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

That's what people think about my Do You Rave shirt... and the sad part is that they don't even ask for an explanation. *sigh* How can I spread word of the Land if nobody cares? :roll: ;)

I vote for a shirt with the Kevinswatch panorama banner... I love that thing.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I still like this one:
theland.antgear.com/kevins_watch2.jpg
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:That's what people think about my Do You Rave shirt... and the sad part is that they don't even ask for an explanation. *sigh* How can I spread word of the Land if nobody cares? :roll: ;)
Hehe. I still need to get one of those shirts for myself sometime... It's sad I don't have one yet, since I made the stupid things, heh.

Well, the whole reason why I made the text only shirts is, because, you know, I don't want to steal someone else's artwork. Heh. And it seemed like too much of a hassle to get permission.

Plus, just having one line on a t-shirt is pretty funny, in my opinion, heh. Like my "I killed Asmodean" shirt, heh.

But yeah, if anyone has any new shirt ideas, I'm open ears. Lay them on me.-jay
Brinn of the Haruchai
Ramen

Post by Brinn of the Haruchai »

How about an Abercrombiesh design with a fictional tavern name and give the location as Mithil Stonedown---that way you could use your own art work?

As for simple tag lines what about Got Staff? or maybe My other ride is a Rahynyn?
Ok cheesy but I'm just being pragmatic
I am who I am, Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol. The Guardian of the One
Tree. Brinn of the Haruchai.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”