Dan Brown - Da Vinci Code

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Dan Brown - Da Vinci Code

Post by Usivius »

Anyone read this? Just wondering what people thought. No spoilers, though, I'm only a thrid of the way through.

So far I have an opinion I don't think will change by the end: is it my imagination, or did anyone get the feeling this book was written with the very concious idea that a movie would/could be made of it?

I am loving the mystery aspect of the story, but there is little character insight or development.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I won't spoil it for you....but Rosebud is a sled!!!! 8O

Ohh, wrong story.

I got the same feeling reading it that I get reading the last 4 or 5 Michael Crichton books, especially Disclosure. They're screenplays-in-waiting. Doesn't necessarily make them bad reads, but I think there's definately a long view being taken.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Great book this, although the trail the Langdon follows in Angels and Demons is far better in my opinion.

In The da Vinci Code, Brown seems a little preoccupied with making a socio-religious point sometimes. Not always, and it doesn't ruin the story at all, but it does distract from it at times. Imho anyways. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

jhust wants to mention that Brown is from my native New Hampshire. wow, I can feel the awe!
now I should get around to reading one of his books?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I should probably mention this, though I will spoiler it:
Spoiler
I found it to be contrary to my religious teachings, and in some parts downright sacreligious
I still enjoyed the book tho'.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

Cail:
your spoiler is why i haven't picked up the book yet.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

c'mon guys it's just a story. :)
I can't remember hearing about the Worm Of the Worlds end in church, but I love the story!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I read it after one of my coworkers had a hissy fit about how all copies should be burned. :wink:

I found it to be a fast paced and entertaining mystery story which involves a conspiracy that has lasted for a couple of thousand years.

And, yes, some people would definately find it to be sacriligious, like my coworker does. But it is quite clearly a work of fiction.
Love as thou wilt.

dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

hey, I haven't even seen Mel Gibson's movie yet. but I still like zombie films. it just gets triesome seeing attack after attack. I saw an interview with Brown and he seemed convinced of the veracity. but maybe it was for sales?

to clear up, the Gibson movie seems so heavy, I don't want to get into a massive funk. but i will see
it...sometime.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

I haven't read the book, but have read some mixed reviews. Alot of people like it, but the ones who don't seem to be devout Christians who've got their panties in a knot ...

Anyway, from what I know about the story/plot - it seems to be much too similar to one of my favourite books of all time: Foucault's Pendulum by the mighty Umberto Eco. So I think I'll just save myself the potential disappointment/headache of reading an over-hyped book and go back to re-read Eco's classic once more.

EDIT - Corrected spelling
Last edited by Metal-Demon on Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I will add that I did find the book to be rather anti-Catholic Church, but maybe that was just me. :?
Love as thou wilt.

ook
Servant of the Land

Post by ook »

I hated the book and I'm not catholic or anything much else. I thought Umberto Eco did it better and so does Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner harris. I read a lot and it was very derivitive and copied ideas from Scott McBain, John Case etc

I also thought it was poorly written and agree totally with whoever said it read like a 'made for movie' book.

ook
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

I waited until The da Vinci Code was at a discount (After everyone read it) picked it up and couldn't put it down. I had to go out and read everything else he wrote.
I find his writing entertaining and as far all of the hullabaloo about his anti-catholic and anti-Masonic indications, I look at his works as adventurous fun -- after all I never stopped reading SRD because the Land isn't a real place (except in our imaginations of course). ;)
However I find I am looking more into the history of the Masons for the heck of it! Aren't conspiracy theories fun?
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
BT Shire
Woodhelvennin

Post by BT Shire »

I couldn't put this down, either. However, a lot of the book seemed the be the author saying, "Look how much stuff I know! I'm so much smarter than you!"

I really loved the book, though.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

I just recently picked up a copy of "The Illustrated Da Vinci Code" ... I hope to start it soon.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I loved the DaVinci Code...

His books are all the same basic theme but I love them anyhow. I think Deception Point is my favorite.

Pie and Cake
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Following on what Metaldemon said... 'Da Vinci Code' is basically a populist, dumbed-down version of the inimitable Umberto Eco's 'Foucault's Pendulum'. Do yourselves a favour, and read the real thing! :)
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Edge wrote:'Da Vinci Code' is basically a populist, dumbed-down version of the inimitable Umberto Eco's 'Foucault's Pendulum'.
I've looked at this book so often, because I love THE NAME OF THE ROSE. Glad to hear three glowing reports of it.

I got DECEPTION POINT and DIGITAL FORTRESS. Expect to enjoy DIGITAL FORTRESS most, because of the computer hacking theme.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Well, I figured I should get the book, just to see how it fares against Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" ... I suppose it's not really fair to judge "The Da Vinci Code" until I've read it myself, but again ... it'll have to be pretty damn good!
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Following on what Metaldemon said... 'Da Vinci Code' is basically a populist, dumbed-down version of the inimitable Umberto Eco's 'Foucault's Pendulum'. Do yourselves a favour, and read the real thing!
Thats pretty much the truth.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison

Return to “General Literature Discussion”