white gold dollars

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Ageless Stranger
Ramen

white gold dollars

Post by Ageless Stranger »

I think there should be a "steal" option under the "donate" option on peoples names for their white gold dollars. anyone agree?
Every man dies; not every man really lives.

Doc Holliday from Tombstone is my hero.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Um, I'd put that in my "NO" category :)
Ageless Stranger
Ramen

lol..rats

Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Sorry Ageless, but i have to say thee nay! :P :evil:

I'm saving up for a custom title, and the last thing i'd need would be you stealing my hard-gotten gains!!! :? ;) :D
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I don't think stealing is a good idea at all. :?
Earthfriend, your custom title might be a little closer than you think. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Oh my.... :oops: :D

Thank you, duchess, your generosity knows no bounds!!! :Hail:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

WGDs have ruined the Watch I say give them all back 2 Vain--I'm really disgusted by the whole thing and I'm embarassed by how the new folks preceive all this...don't bother replying 2 me I am really ashamed and won't b seeing y'all 4 a while--it has lead to post wars and RPGs that have really belittled the Watch from it's true purpose. We used 2 be happy and friends here...but now that we're at each other's throats I cannot abide it...
Last edited by danlo on Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Lady Althea

Post by Lady Althea »

Err, hate to sound ignorant here, but what are these "white gold dollars?" :?
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

danlo wrote:WGDs have ruined the Watch I say give them all back 2 Vain--I'm really disgusted by the whole thing and I'm embarassed by how the new folks preceive all this...don't bother replying 2 me I am really ashamed and won't b seeing y'all 4 a while--it has lead to post wars and RPGs that have really belittled the Watch from it's true purpose. We used 2 be happy and friends here...but now that we're at each other's throats I cannot abide it...
Well, I'd like to get more than one viewpoint on this. I figured I was making things a little more interesting around here but if that's not the case then I'd be happy to reverse things.

I'm not entirely sure what the true purpose of the Watch is - I have always seen it as a place for people who enjoy SRD's work to mingle. I think we mostly manage to achieve this - with a few bumps along the way but if anybody thought it's possible to be in a constant state of Nirvana then I'm afraid that that's an unrealistic expectation.

It's how we deal with these issues that should separate us from the rest of the pack.
Samadhi Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Samadhi Foul »

Umm, I kinda get what WGDs are now. And I think that they just motivate people (or Fair Folk, in my case) to post. I think they're a good idea and that they should be kept. :)
Beware of cutlery. It is violent. And sharp.

Vayne has a good siggy-sense. ;)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I like the WGD system. It doesn't really motivate me to post more - I only post on topics I find interesting, and I never start my own topics because they flop - but it's good to be able to customise your profile a bit (but only when you've been here for a while, so you sort of have to be a regular visitor to earn it). And the items in the shop are just a bit of fun to display them next to your posts.
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Well, here's my :2c: :

I think they're a bit of fun, nothing more, nothing less :D

I like being able to customerise my on-line persona, with titles and items and the like; and i think it adds a bit more personality to people's posts, much like having an avatar does 8)

I'm new here, so i'm not sure of all my facts; but personally, i know of no-one who has been at another person's throat over WGD's. Indeed, WGD's have, if anything, displayed the generosity of the people here at the Watch, like Infelice and the duchess of malfi. It's also given me the chance to use cool phrases like, 'accepting the gift honours the giver'. 8) :)

I assume the original concept for the Watch was to have a place where lovers of TCTC could come and discuss the books - and i think that is what we spend most of our time doing. I've inserted myself into the group read of the IEW, and signed up already for TPTP - and i must thank danlo for allowing a 'newbie' like myself to participate in something which is essentially part of the heart of the Watch. And iv'e loved it! :D There are whole chapters of these books that i'm still exploring, and hearing other peoples viewpoints is eye-opening! 8O :wink:

Well, thats it, i guess :oops:

What was the original theory behind the introduction of WGD's anyway, Vain? :?:
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I think the heart of the Watch has always been to NOT treat "newbies" as newbies. Everybody has as much say as the next person the moment they register and post their first message.

The original concept behind the WGD's? It took ages to get going but pretty much what you see now in terms of features etc.
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Well, then the concept worked admirably!! :D

And so does the heart of the Watch - i've never met a nicer, more welcoming bunch of people/ravers/elohim/creatures!!! :wink: :D
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Yeah, I like the WGDs, as others have commented, it makes things a bit fun, which is what this place is all about.

I think Vain should be congratulated for the great site he has put together here and thanked for the time and effort he puts into making this place more fun to visit. :)
Last edited by Infelice on Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ageless Stranger
Ramen

i like the WGDs...they are just a little entertainment. i think they dont need to be taken too seriously..i didnt know there were post wars and RPGs and stuff..thats not too cool. just to clarify, my suggestion about stealing was totally in jest. but i think they are just fun little additions to this board that sets it apart from so many other boards.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I definitely like the idea of customizing ourselves. But I don't think it's necessary to have the WGD's to do it. We could just give ourselves a title; any number of us could have Revelstone or Andelain or wherever as a location without anyone owning it; we could all have a Lord's Staff; etc.

The one-time items might be a different matter. SoL, krill, etc. Don't know how that stuff would be doled out. Vain gets first pick though. White gold perhaps? :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I have found the WGDs to be fun. I haven't really perceived there to be "post wars" per se to be going on - though people have been having some fun with the WGDs.

And I definitely wouldn't want someone to be able to steal my WGDs. ;)

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Who figures we should have FREE customisation? :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I like the WGD system, though I do worry a little bit about inflation... minor worry, tho. I don't think the item icons should be free, but maybe some of the name and title customizations? I think some titles should cost WGDs (say Forestal, Hiltmark, Ehbrand, or especially Lord), though that might be too hard to regulate so would probably be better left as it is. I think that's my opinion on everything... better left as it is.

And if you're under 50 posts, your title should automatically be Newbie... heh ;) jk
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “General Discussion Forum”