What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

He's worth a try. His best book, though it's out of print, is Consider Phelbas. Excession was also a good book. They are both Culture books. The Culture is a galaxy spanning civilization where machines have computer sentient minds, and have rights equal to animate beings like humans. It forms the background for the books, though the characters from the seperate books don't interact. I havn't been able to get started on Look to Windward, another Culture book (I keep forgetting to put it in my briefcase to read on the train). In general they are well written, and you have to pay close attention to plot; which is not often easy if it deals with keeping plotting ships straight. The ships minds all have whimisical names like Fate Amenable to Change, and Anticipation of a New Lovers Arrival
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Goodkind: Enjoyed the first two books but wasn't very impressed with anything after that.

Dark Tower: Love it! Can't wait for Wolves of the Calla this Fall!

Jordan: Can't stand it. Rambling and boring.

Pullman: Loved the "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

Once again I'll give a hearty recommendation for "Tigana" by Guy Gavriel Kay. Wonderful literature but hard to find. :D
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Samadhi Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Samadhi Foul »

I'm reading The Isle of Glass, by Judith Tarr. I'm almost finished with it and will be moving on to The Golden Horn, the second book in the trilogy. :)
Beware of cutlery. It is violent. And sharp.

Vayne has a good siggy-sense. ;)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I'm actually taking a pause from reading! But these are the things I'm planning on taking on my trip:
short story collections by
Dan Simmons
David Brin
Roger Zelazny
along with one or two Zelazny and Simmons novels. 8)
My sons will be taking along Narnia and Amber. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Wow! Somebody else has heard of Judith Tarr! I've never found anything else by her, but I really enjoyed Avaryan Rising. :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

I just bought A Game Of Thrones and A Clash Of Kings and I'm about to start reading the first . After all I have heard about ASOIAF I couldn't resist them any longer. :D
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

You'll enjoy them. :)
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Ahhh Infelice I envy you...I wish I could read them again for the first time 8) !
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm back in2 The Fall of Hyperion and writhing on the Tree of Pain--oh the xquisite agony! I'm going 2 try 2 fly through the rest of it (which is rare, Mongo read real sloooooow...) as I'm xcited 2 find The Hound and the Falcon (based on Turiya's recommendation) and take big slobbery bites o/o it!
Last edited by danlo on Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

:D Yay!! The Hound and the Falcon is great!

(Slobbery? honestly... 8) )
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I am reading Otherness, a short story collection by David Brin. The story I just read, Dr. Pak's Preschool was extremely creepy to me, about the way some scientists found a way to make babies work in utero. 8O
Love as thou wilt.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I just finished reading Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix.

I just started reading The Riddle Master Trilogy.

And in between those, I am re-reading the EarthSea Cycle and The Ilearth Wars.

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Post by Guest »

I just went through both the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the First & Second Chronicles again over the past few months. So, I guess I need to take a break from sci-fi/fantasy for a while.

Right now I'm reading Atlas Shrugged again for the ?th time and various historical non-fiction books...... oh ya that is all in addition to the normal heavy load of legal case reading for law school. :-x
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I just finished ASOIAF. Right now I'm reading The October Horse by Colleen McCollough, the 4th book of her Masters of Rome series. I saw on the Martin website that he is reading Helen of Troy (I think that is the name of the book :roll: ) by the same author. They are really wonderful books!

Duchess, I have heard you and danlo talk about Narnia and Amber. Could you elaborate please? Who are the authors and the books? I would like to read them. ;)
The King has one more move.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

C.S. Lewis wrote the Narnia books and Roger Zelazny wrote the Amber Chronicles--there's forums on both authors at the Hangar!
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

The Narnia books were originally written for children, but many adults adore them as well. I got them in a huge all-in-one edition for my younger son (age 10), and he read it twice while we were on vacation! :D In fact, he has requested that I track down any movies based on the books, especially his favorite, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. If either of your kids like fantasy, you probably can't go wrong having it in your house. :wink: You can also get the Amber books in a huge all-in-one edition called The Great Book of Amber. They are fun and adventure-packed. My older son (age 14) is enjoying them, so if you have younger teens on up, that book might get a good workout as well. :D
Love as thou wilt.

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Thanks!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

caamora, I love your sig - made me laugh out loud. :D

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Thanks!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

You are quite welcome! 8)
I am currently reading Harry Potter 5, at my younger son's special request. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”