The Dark Tower

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Warmark
Lord

The Dark Tower

Post by Warmark »

hey just wonderering what people thought of teh Dark Tower series? i loved it. favourite book had to be Wizard and Glass. I thought Song of Sussanah was teh weakest of teh seven ,but i still thougth it was ace.

Post by Guest »

Self moved to the Stephen King thread in the library... Thanks Roland!
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Warmark, there's a separate forum for Dark Tower/Stephen King in the Library section, but I what the heck? I'll respond here, too.

I think with the release of Dark Tower VII that King has now produced the finest epic fantasy ever. Some folks don't care for the ending, but I loved it. And let's face it, King warns the reader to cry off at the happy point if you don't want to learn something you might not want to hear. :P

I would rank Wizard and Glass as the second best, and I would agree with you that Song of Susannah slipped a little. Relatively, though, of course, as DT at its weakest is still good.

There are scenes in DT that move me to tears, other scenes that make me raise my fist in triumph, others that make me shake my head in denial and dismay, others that I marvel at their cleverness and "rightness."

Donaldson's Covenant trilogies and Tolkien's LotR have done this, too, don't get me wrong . . . but King's style is one I prefer, easier to read and with a humor that I find unmatched by any of the great fantasy authors.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Absolutely amazing series of books. Wizard and Glass is by far my favorite in the series, and arguably the best thing King's ever written.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'll finish this series once all the books are paperback, I think (they're cheaper when you buy a few at once, heh). Wizard and Glass was good, hope the latest books have something that can at least come close to the Susan Delgado story.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

sorry, new here. note to self find stephen king thread
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”