Haruchai: Sleepless Ones

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Kenaustin Ardenol
Stonedownor

Haruchai: Sleepless Ones

Post by Kenaustin Ardenol »

Do the Haruchai also not sleep, I was under the impression it was the vow that deprived the bloodguard of sleep, but in Runes the Ramen call haruchai sleepless ones ie: Hami To Stave "You speak of that which lies beyond you, sleepless one." I don't recall any of the haruchai in the second chronicles ever sleeping either, excluding unconsciousness, but don't recall reading anywhere that they don't sleep. Is this an error or does their service act like a mini vow taking away the need for sleep.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Think they're using the term as an insult. Like when they call them Bloodguard.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

native wrote:Think they're using the term as an insult. Like when they call them Bloodguard.
"Yo momma wears combat boots!"

"Oh yeah?!?! Yo momma a sleepless one!"

Hmmm....doesn't really work. :P
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Now wouldn't that depend on what yo' momma was doin' instead of sleepin'? ;)
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Well I guess it's the best a Ramen (singular Raman?) can come up with.

Anyway to answer the question, Bannor slept, after he stopped being a Bloodguard iirc.
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

I had a thought about the haruchai, and I guess this might be a good place to ask- How do you think the haruchai's mission became corrupted? At the ending of WGW, Covenant gave the haruchai a mission to serve Revelstone. It was the only thing that was truly great enough to deserve their service.

How did they get from serving revelstone to running the land? It doesn't make sense. Every other commitment the haruchai ever made went unchanged for thousands of years; they never forgot a word. So why did they alter their mission?
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

I guess we will find out further on down the road (in the series). The Haruchai were serving the land and became its Masters. I remember passages in Runes that referred to the Haruchai extending their Mastery over the Land following the passing of the Sunbane, but I still haven't re-read the book enough to match my encyclopedic knowledge of the first two Chronicles. Help, anyone?
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

native wrote: Anyway to answer the question, Bannor slept, after he stopped being a Bloodguard iirc.
Yes, in TPTP Bannor sleeps and rediscovers dreams...and I believe that in TOT, isn't there a reference to the haruchai sleeping somewhere in the Lady Alif chapter? Or did she drug them? It's been awhile since I read that. :?

MrKABC, I had thought that the haruchai took mastery over the land sometime after the passing of Sunder and Hollian? :?
Love as thou wilt.

Kenaustin Ardenol
Stonedownor

She drugged them, if anyone can quote any references to the haruchai sleeping in the 2nd chron or runes for that matter, other than drugings or being knocked unconscious please do to clarify this. As far as I can remember whenever TC or LA slept the haruchai were on guard.[/quote]
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Kenaustin Ardenol wrote: if anyone can quote any references to the haruchai sleeping in the 2nd chron or runes for that matter, other than drugings or being knocked unconscious please do to clarify this.
I'm fairly certain we've never seen them sleep in the second chronicles, but it's said many times that the lack of sleep was part of the bloodguard oath, along with immortality. We didn't see them age either until we met the voice of the masters.

Maybe they sleep standing up with their eyes open 8)
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

kvickie wrote:I had a thought about the haruchai, and I guess this might be a good place to ask- How do you think the haruchai's mission became corrupted? At the ending of WGW, Covenant gave the haruchai a mission to serve Revelstone. It was the only thing that was truly great enough to deserve their service.

How did they get from serving revelstone to running the land? It doesn't make sense. Every other commitment the haruchai ever made went unchanged for thousands of years; they never forgot a word. So why did they alter their mission?
I imagine that they started shortly after Anele dissapeared. They must have realized that it was completly up to them now.
The question I want to know, is why bother?
The Land didn't do much good for the Haruchai...took the lived of their 500 best soldiers and ruined them, made them question their worth..and then a few thousand years later, the next time they show up, they're just murdered....Oh I guess I just answered my own question...it was because of the Land, and because of Earthpower in the Land that they've done any suffering in their past. If that's the case, they must have been thrilled when Anele dissapeared!! "Allright" they must have thought "Now there is no Earthpower weilders left, lets make sure they don't come back, so we don't end up as Bloodguards or get butchered ever again!!"
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

drew wrote:I imagine that they started shortly after Anele dissapeared. They must have realized that it was completly up to them now.
I seem to recall that Stave explicitly states that it was after the loss of the Staff of Law and their failure to find it that they started their mastery.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

That would be about the same time line eh?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

duchess of malfi wrote:
native wrote: Anyway to answer the question, Bannor slept, after he stopped being a Bloodguard iirc.
Yes, in TPTP Bannor sleeps and rediscovers dreams...and I believe that in TOT, isn't there a reference to the haruchai sleeping somewhere in the Lady Alif chapter? Or did she drug them? It's been awhile since I read that. :?

MrKABC, I had thought that the haruchai took mastery over the land sometime after the passing of Sunder and Hollian? :?
I think someone else mentioned it occurred after the disappearance of Anele and the new Staff of Law. Drat... I don't have Runes memorized as I do the first two Chronicles... Otherwise I would know this off the top of my head.

In TOT, Lady Alif knocked Brinn out with sleeping powder. I can't recall any references to the Haruchai sleeping in the second Chronicles. There was a reference to Mistweave attempting to match Cail in his sleepless watch over Covenant and Linden and failing.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
JD
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by JD »

I think in the 2nd Chronicles it started after Convenant rescued them from Revelstone. They swore to protect Convenant and the "Search".

In my opinion how the Haruchai became the Masters and their service became "Corruption", is thru their arrogance and absolutness. They are so set in their ways and not real quick about learning lessons when they failed. They've been trying to oppose Corruption thru what they considered pure service for thousands of years. So when they came up with the Earthpower serves Corruption angle, which was totally wrong, they should have said that Earthpower was not the total answer to fight Corruption, they banned the people of the Land from using it once the Staff of Law was lost.
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

In the GI SRD says that they do all there sleeping off camera so to speak in the SC. They must also do it that way in Runes also.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

In the GI SRD says that they do all there sleeping off camera so to speak in the SC. They must also do it that way in Runes also.
Would you mind posting a link to this?
Kenaustin Ardenol
Stonedownor

From the GI
No, the Haruchai did not re-enact their Vow. Nor have they done anything similar in "The Last Chronicles." They're just so ^#$%# stoical that they do all their sleeping off-stage. <grin>
I'm glad this ended up getting asked on the GI allthough I think its a bit of a coverup answer. Its the 2nd last question on the GI today.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

We never "see" them sleep in the 2nd Chrons. But then, we never see most characters in any of the books sleeping.

The reason I think they slept in the 2nd is because Mistweave tried so hard to match Cail. Would even a Giant attempt to match an Elohim's ability to stay awake? I can't imagine they're fool enough for that. Though we were never specifically told, I believe the Elohim do not need to sleep ever. A Giant wouldn't be idiot enough to try to match that.

But a Haruchai? Hey, Giants are tough. REAL tough! Prideful, too. I can easily imagine one trying to prove himself the equal of these other guys who, though as tough as can be, still have mortal limits. Mistweave would have loved to be standing over Cail's sleeping form, yelling, "Ha!! The Giant outlasts the Haruchai!! Ah, they will sing of this for centuries!!" Then he passes out, and all the other Giants laugh themselves silly.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

native wrote:Think they're using the term [sleepless one] as an insult. Like when they call them Bloodguard.

Geez, I am so dense. I never thought about that. While reading Runes I simply assumed that the Ramen in the First Chrons referred to the Haruhcai as the sleepless ones. I never verified it--still haven't--it just sounded right to me.

The insult, however, does work. Calling Stave a sleepless one is yet another way for the Ramen to remind the Haruchai that they are failures.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”