WOW II - great-granddaddy of all spoilers

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

How did he get there?
The fire he burnt his hand in, which was the mechanism for transporting Cov and Linden in the Second Chrons.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Murrin wrote:
How did he get there?
The fire he burnt his hand in, which was the mechanism for transporting Cov and Linden in the Second Chrons.
Yes, and remember Roger's comment that
Spoiler
"he's just meat".
That's because his spirit / soul was in the Land!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Folks - this means that Jeremiah has been in the land for 3,500 years.

Apparently, in his horsey pajamas the entire time ...

C'mon people! Try harder!

Jeremiah is not the only one who requires healing. Joan does. Certainly, she requires emotional and spiritual healing, whereas Jeremiah requires healing of a more physical variety. And Roger is a question mark - is he a plain old bad guy, or were his actions the result of a spiritual and emotional issue he he needs to overcome?

But I do agree that, if the creator chose another person, then it would be another person who would be helped in the process of helping the creator. He does pay one back for the effort.

Lord Foul claims to "have" Jeremiah. How does that fit in?
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Jeremiah is not the only one who requires healing. Joan does. Certainly, she requires emotional and spiritual healing
Linden tried and failed to heal Anele’s madness (which also does not respond to hurtloam). I suspect that Joan’s would also surpass her abilities.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Aleksandr wrote:
Jeremiah is not the only one who requires healing. Joan does. Certainly, she requires emotional and spiritual healing
Linden tried and failed to heal Anele’s madness (which also does not respond to hurtloam). I suspect that Joan’s would also surpass her abilities.
Actually Linden was ready to heal him once she had the Staff of Law and from what Anele said, she could of done it. He refused. He said it wasnt time yet or something to that effect.
SoulBiter
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

So here's an idea. I don't think it qualifies for daddiness at any level, but ...

How many people are on the stone when the summons happens? 1... 2... 3... 4... 5! Linden, Roger, Joan, Jeremiah, and ... Sandy Eastwall. Sandy Eastwall, laying right there on the rock, right next to everyone else.

Now, cast your mind back. Linden calls Sandy, can you come over? Sandy's practically already there. She says she's suddenly worried about Jeremiah, too.

Now I kind of wonder if that wasn't something like "On my way home I met this old guy, and he freaked me out, saying stuff, and I have no clue what it all means, but I sorta understood Jeremiah is in trouble, so I had to get right back over, and I'm not quite ready to admit that all that happened yet, but here I am" going on.

In other words, could it be that Sandy met the old man that night? And that she has been summoned to the Land?
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

Hmmmm... didn't think about Sandy... I wonder if she is a throwaway character though... like Dr. Berenford.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

[mod edit - read at your own risk! dlbpharmd]
Spoiler
Okay, if you look at Time as a circle and not a straight line, you will see where I'm coming from when I say Thomas is the Creator. When the Third Chrons ends, it's going to end with Thomas accepting Lord Foul. When this happens, the universe as we know it will cease to exist and a new one will be formed....thus, throwing us to a "new" beginning. By Thomas accepting Foul as part of himself, he thus becomes the creator of the new universe. And the circle begins again. Hence...Thomas is the Creator.

Okay...I know it's a stretch. But, I'm going by Donaldson's interview from about 20 years ago.
Edit: oops :oops: sorry, guys. Didn't realize that speculation could be considered a spoiler... my bad. :oops: :cry:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

I know why he called it a spoiler. It is because it means nothing at all. He just wanted to keep people guessing about the plot of the story. That is what I would like to believe.
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Loremaster wrote:
Lord Mhoram wrote:It means Jeremiah is the Creator.
Uh . . . . no. Covenant was in the Land before Jeremiah was born. Hell, the Land existed long before that.
Uh . . . . try not to be a snob.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Wayfriend wrote:So here's an idea. I don't think it qualifies for daddiness at any level, but ...

How many people are on the stone when the summons happens? 1... 2... 3... 4... 5! Linden, Roger, Joan, Jeremiah, and ... Sandy Eastwall. Sandy Eastwall, laying right there on the rock, right next to everyone else.

Now, cast your mind back. Linden calls Sandy, can you come over? Sandy's practically already there. She says she's suddenly worried about Jeremiah, too.

Now I kind of wonder if that wasn't something like "On my way home I met this old guy, and he freaked me out, saying stuff, and I have no clue what it all means, but I sorta understood Jeremiah is in trouble, so I had to get right back over, and I'm not quite ready to admit that all that happened yet, but here I am" going on.

In other words, could it be that Sandy met the old man that night? And that she has been summoned to the Land?
That was my theory. I hate it when people steal other people's theories. :-x
Spoiler
Okay, if you look at Time as a circle and not a straight line, you will see where I'm coming from when I say Thomas is the Creator. When the Third Chrons ends, it's going to end with Thomas accepting Lord Foul. When this happens, the universe as we know it will cease to exist and a new one will be formed....thus, throwing us to a "new" beginning. By Thomas accepting Foul as part of himself, he thus becomes the creator of the new universe. And the circle begins again. Hence...Thomas is the Creator.

Okay...I know it's a stretch. But, I'm going by Donaldson's interview from about 20 years ago.
This is my theory as well!!! :x :x :x Or nearly so...

Foul will escape, the Earth destroyed, but Thomas, as the Arch of Time, will do battle with him nonetheless, and also the Creator will enter the situation somehow, and The Earth will be created again, and this time with no Despiser to mess it all up again.
urieth
Servant of the Land

Post by urieth »

I'm new to the forum so my apologies if I screw something up. I had a sudden thought, in reference to the 'grand-daddy of all spoilers' and felt the need to post for the first time. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a spoiler or not, so I'll just err on the side of caution. Here goes...

Spoiler
What if the Land truly is a figment of Covenant's imagination? What if everything he's been through has been a dream, born out of desperation and a need to escape his current reality? Perhaps he is not only 'Lord Foul' as has been suggested, but the Creator as well. Lord Foul represents his capacity to do harm and the Creator represents his capacity to 'do good'. Perhaps, at the end of the final book, we'll find him waking up in the road after almost being hit by that police car and thinking, 'It /was/ all a dream, after all'.
Just a thought...
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Acctually, I thought this one up myself a little while back..but now it kind of seems like a cheap ending..not to mention how insane it would make poor Thomas...to him it's been about 3520 years since that accident..imagagine waking up and finding out that you just been dreaming all that time!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Shades of The Bob Newhart Show.....
srtrout
Woodhelvennin

Some more ideas

Post by srtrout »

Regarding the idea that perhaps the whole thing was just in Covenant's imagination; I believe somewhere in the gradual interview SRD mentions that after the 2nd or 3rd book of the first chronicles, that he presumed that everyone understood that the Land was real. I think it had to do with the question of whether or not Hile Troy had really lived in the "real" world.

But, another fanciful idea: Jeremiah was building the land out of Legos at the beginning of Runes - could it all be in his imagination?

As I have mentioned previously, the comments you all have referred to that SRD made about the 3rd chronicles many years ago have caused me significant trepidation - I worry about the potential for TC having an evil character to him.

TC's evil deed in the f1st and 2nd chronicles was obviously the rape, which although abhorrent was more of a sign of human weakness rather than a conscious decision to do someone harm.( I fully realize that many if not all rapes in the real world are primarily violent rather than primarily sexual acts).

It will be an interesting journey through SRD's psyche over the next 9 years or so!

Srtrout
"Heck with the Illearth war, Hile; let's just go fishing!"
urieth
Servant of the Land

Post by urieth »

I guess what struck me about the whole thing was the fact that Linden had not encountered the ochre-robed man prior to being sent to the Land. Why not? Perhaps because Covenant is the Creator and he's essential 'dead' in the real world. Linden didn't encounter him because he's no longer in our world.

What was that line from the prophecy concerning the white gold? 'he has the capacity to save or damn the world'? Sounds a lot like a Creator/Lord Foul paradox to me. The white gold is, after all, a paradox. And Covenant is the white gold...
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Welcome to the Watch urieth!

Welcome and Be True!!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lord Mhoram wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
Lord Mhoram wrote:It means Jeremiah is the Creator.
Uh . . . . no. Covenant was in the Land before Jeremiah was born. Hell, the Land existed long before that.
Uh . . . . try not to be a snob.
:roll: Sorry, but your point was simply wrong.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Don't worry Loremaster! You're not a snob! (you're just mean! :P )
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Of course. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”