Ending of Runes

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

rbyrd2531
Servant of the Land

TC or not TC

Post by rbyrd2531 »

I believe it is him and not an imposter. Possibly from a time when he was still alive.

He did not tell Linden to beware of him, he said to be "wary of me. Remember that I'm dead".

I believe his warning is in much the same context as the warning from the Mahdoubt. He doesn't want her to be fooled that he has been restored to her.
Russ
Kenaustin Ardenol
Stonedownor

Post by Kenaustin Ardenol »

I don't know when the skurj were released but I'm willing to put money on the fact that Kevins Dirt appeared very soon after Kastenessen broke the durance releasing the skurj to make their new home in mount thunder. We know the skurj is fire of some type and were theirs fire theirs smoke.
Anele reading the stone of the close about kastenessen
and at his behest the skurj which he once unwillingly restrained have unleashed their cunning and frenzy against the land.
Dragonlily
Lord

Re: TC or not TC

Post by Dragonlily »

rbyrd2531 wrote:He did not tell Linden to beware of him, he said to be "wary of me. Remember that I'm dead".
And if Keven and Elena are any indication, a dead Covenant would be subject to Foul.

That's the logic of it. But that logic here makes no sense, because he was also dead when he opposed Foul into a state of defeat.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Spork wrote:I LIKE this theory. The initial description in runes is of smog. Some tuning might be necessary. The skurj are likely those dragon thingies eating up the land, and maybe that creates the "smog". Question: were the skurj freed "recently" or not?
Off-topic, but I think Spork should check out one of my favourite web-comics: The Adventures of Sporkman
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If Kevin's Dirt blew down from "the far north", why did it happen to blow down to the Land, and then remain there, never blowing away, and never appear anywhere else? This is too unlikely for me to believe in it.

Kevin's Dirt has to be an emination from the Land itself, like the Sunbane. Else why would it be so specific?

It could be something the Masters unwittingly did. (I posted such an idea before: link). Or it could be the Land's reaction to what the masters have done.

There's just too much synergy between Kevin's Dirt and the Masters to ignore.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Ah, thank you, Wayfriend I didn't get that far down in the menu.

All the objections I read in that thread can be dealt with by the suggestion that the Masters didn't realize that it was created by their own determination.

And it's a good point that the Masters must have named it because they are the only ones who can see it. Oh! and the Ramen.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Rowan
Stonedownor

just rambling thoughts....

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Runes today and finally I figured it was safe to come into this forum and read a bit. :) After the ending of WGW, Pitchwife and the First are left alone in Mount Thunder with Covenant's body. Pitchwife picks up the body and the couple make their way out of Kiril Threndor with plans to ward the Staff and deliver it to Hollian and Sunder.

In Runes we hear that they did indeed deliver it safely. They eventually meet up with the rest of The Search and wind up spending years in Revelstone making repairs to Lord's Keep. I kept expecting some kind of memorial to be built at the resting place that eventually held Covenant's body, but there is never any more information about what happened to it.

Perhaps the people of the Land do not build such things as monuments to famous/important people. Then again, the Masters would probably have erased it in order to remove any trace of the Unbeliever and his role in the history of the Land. I just find myself quite curious about what was done with his remains. Interesting how SRD has given us that tiny tidbit of information letting us know that the body was not left where he died, leaving it hanging as a loose thread in a really nonchalant way. Sorta makes a person wonder....... ;)
Let every creature I see be a brother and a friend to me
Let every step that I take leave the footprints of a warrior
Along the spirit trail.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

To me it's a different kind of sight altogether. Linden is a physician and her sight is manifested as health-sense. She can also project her consciousness into others and control them. No Haruchai can do that.
Linden's projection/possession, the Haruchai shared consciousness, and the Lords' (of Morham's time) Meld are all probably manifestations of the same (Earth)power. The Haruchai are in denial about their not making use of any lore.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Re: just rambling thoughts....

Post by MrKABC »

Rowan wrote:I just finished Runes today and finally I figured it was safe to come into this forum and read a bit. :) After the ending of WGW, Pitchwife and the First are left alone in Mount Thunder with Covenant's body. Pitchwife picks up the body and the couple make their way out of Kiril Threndor with plans to ward the Staff and deliver it to Hollian and Sunder.

In Runes we hear that they did indeed deliver it safely. They eventually meet up with the rest of The Search and wind up spending years in Revelstone making repairs to Lord's Keep. I kept expecting some kind of memorial to be built at the resting place that eventually held Covenant's body, but there is never any more information about what happened to it.

Perhaps the people of the Land do not build such things as monuments to famous/important people. Then again, the Masters would probably have erased it in order to remove any trace of the Unbeliever and his role in the history of the Land. I just find myself quite curious about what was done with his remains. Interesting how SRD has given us that tiny tidbit of information letting us know that the body was not left where he died, leaving it hanging as a loose thread in a really nonchalant way. Sorta makes a person wonder....... ;)
My guess is that they would have buried Covenant in Andelain, where he always wanted to spend more time....
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
wayfriend

Re: just rambling thoughts....

Post by wayfriend »

MrKABC wrote:
Rowan wrote:I kept expecting some kind of memorial to be built at the resting place that eventually held Covenant's body, but there is never any more information about what happened to it.
My guess is that they would have buried Covenant in Andelain, where he always wanted to spend more time....
My guess is that this information will be revealed in the Final Chronicles at the right time. After all, it seems like something that would come up in a conversation with a Dead guy.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Yeah, but Andelain would be a nice touch....or with his luck, they'd probebly bury him by the Mithil River Bridge!!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Gibboniam
Servant of the Land

Post by Gibboniam »

Don't speculate, wait for the book to come out! Whatever the outcome I bet SD has got a couple of surprises for us. Meanwhile its Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy for me. Know what I mean Harry? : :lol:
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

It does make you wonder, though, why Linden has never asked the Haruchai if they knew where Covenant was buried. Maybe finding his body could be the key to finding him, and solving the mystery of who this fellow riding up to Revelstone really is.
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
Kenaustin Ardenol
Stonedownor

Post by Kenaustin Ardenol »

If Kevin's Dirt blew down from "the far north", why did it happen to blow down to the Land, and then remain there, never blowing away, and never appear anywhere else? This is too unlikely for me to believe in it.
It didn't blow down from the north it was create in mount thunder were The Skurj now resides, thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Gibboniam wrote:Don't speculate, wait for the book to come out! Whatever the outcome I bet SD has got a couple of surprises for us. Meanwhile its Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy for me. Know what I mean Harry? : :lol:
This whole board is about happy speculation, and anyway, we have plenty of time to rack our collective minds about questions like this...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
urieth
Servant of the Land

Post by urieth »

Perhaps that's what Covenant was trying to say to Linden when he told her 'Find me'? Perhaps he was telling her to find his grave.

He also said, 'Remember, I'm dead.' A warning? Or just a gentle reminder?
--Something there is in beauty...
Jerico
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jerico »

With the creation of the new Staff the Law's of life and death should have been reinforced. Not healed, but on their way to it. On the GI SRD explains more about it.
Quote from the GI**
Well, putting it crudely: the Law of Death prevents the dead from intruding on or affecting the living (manifesting as chosts, visible spirits, etc.): The Law of Life prevents the dead from *becoming* the living (re-entering, re-animating, and re-encouling their dead bodies so that they can literally pick up their lives where they left off). Together the two Laws preserve the necessary boundary between life and death: but they function sequentially. Still crudely: when you die, first your spirit leaves your body, then it leaves knowable reality. So in reverse, damaging the Law of Death allows your spirit to te-enter knowable reality, and then damaging the Law of Life allows your spirit to resume life in your natural body.
Does that Help?
end quote.**

Wow that says alot. When Linden removes the staff from the past she is removing the strength of the broken Laws of life and death. She is giving TC a chance to re-enter knowable reality. So when he tells her remember I'm dead, I think he means remember I'm dead then (in the past). That changes when she removes the Staff. It is out of time for quite a while (3000 years) before she appears before Revelstone. I think this is how TC will return. Linden 'found' him by removing the Staff from time, or allowed him to find himself. 8O
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I think the Damage caused by Linden's little side trip will be astounding.
Remember Cov's first trip to the Land...he Caused a bit of trouble...that caused a lot of trouble..I think this was now Linden's turn to completely screw everything up!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
The Stoned Downer
Servant of the Land

Kevins Dirt

Post by The Stoned Downer »

I have a theory that Kevins Dirt may be caused by Jeremiah or at least by his presence. He became 'autistic' when he put his hand in the fire that was touched by Lord Foul. Could that have been about the same time the Dirt started in the Land? It could also be representative of his plight in the real world where he is 'blinded' to reality.

Also I believe that TC had no 'body' in the Land to be buried becuase he was not from the Land. If he is binding the Arch Of Time together, then he could possibly be summoned to the Land even though he died in the real world.
It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
The Stoned Downer
Servant of the Land

Damage to the arch of time

Post by The Stoned Downer »

I just had another idea. What if when Linden passed through a caesure she made it possible for TC to appear in the Land? Perhaps he has been there since he died (in the real world) as a 'revenent' but was released when Linden broke the Law Of Time.
It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”