Question about Cail and the merewives

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

Question about Cail and the merewives

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ok everyone, help me figure this one out:

Cail leaves with Mistweave to go find the merewives. After Covenant's death, the First and Pitchwife return to Starfare's Gem and the Giants go to Revelstone to build gates. They stay there for some time (I don't remember how long.)

So, my question is - how did Cail reach the merewives?
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

They probably found him.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

I would expect that Cail approached this problem like a true Haruchai and just kept pushing on until he got there. They do tend to be dedicated to tasks when they put their minds to them.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, for one thing, we don't know how long it took Cail to hook back up with the merewives. It doesn't have to be immediately upon reaching the Giantship.

Second thing, all the Giants would not be in Revelstone. Some would have to remain with the Gem in Coercri. Probably for many years. It seems probable that they did some sailing during this time. Perhaps they took Cail out for a cruise.

It does seem like Cail faced some initial dissapointment when he finally reached the dromond. And it does seem like the Giants weren't too careful to honor Giantfriend's wishes with respect to Cail. But there also seems to be lots of wiggle room in the chronology to make something happen.

It may even be that Cail made his own sailing arrangements. Perhaps the Giants on the dromond built him a tiny tyrscull. And (as said) perhaps the merewives came after Cail. I can imagine Cail pacing up and down the beach - if the merewives could somehow sense his longing, they'd for sure try to reach him, the man-hungry females that they are.
Tom
Stonedownor

Post by Tom »

Maybe Cail headed north and walked on the ice for some time. The merewives weren't in a fixed location, so with a willing man, they might have sensed him and joined him very close to The Land.

Tom
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I always assumed that he swam...that and Furls Idea fits I think.

Furls Fire wrote:They probably found him.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Thaale
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thaale »

Even more puzzling than that is how Cail managed to live long enough underwater to father a son.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Thaale wrote:Even more puzzling than that is how Cail managed to live long enough underwater to father a son.
Very good question. I guess he held his breath :?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thaale wrote:Even more puzzling than that is how Cail managed to live long enough underwater to father a son.
Haruchai are astonishingly fast in all departments.
firelion
Giantfriend

Post by firelion »

If he borrowed a longboat from The Search,packed some diamond draught and some food,I believe Cail (being a hardheaded Haruchai)could have row row rowed a boat just about anywhere he wanted to.
"And now for something completely different".
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I doubt if the Merewives really mate with their prey. I think in Cail's case, he probely jumped overboard -or whatever- and was Consumed or assumed by the merewives..they then produced Esmer...whom I doubt grew up as a child...he was probebly just made. So in essence..Esmer IS Cail..just Cail remade by The Merewives...

-Of course that's just my theroy.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”