What SRD word have you grown to HATE! ;-)

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Inchoate
Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

eldritch. caught my eye the first time i saw it in Runes. Had to look it up. it's used quite a bit.
:)
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

In Second Chrons, too!
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

It seems like every book has an Official Word. Like gelid for The Power that Preserves.

Puissant is THE Runes word to me.

I liked formication because it has such a specific meaning. It would be awkward to say "Then she felt a sensation like ants crawling on her skin." But I always read it as fornication first. Now I wonder if when I see fornication, I'll read formication.

BTW, re: telic, I agree that it is an odd duck. It means

1. directed or tending toward a goal or purpose; purpose-driven 2. denoting the final end or purpose, as distinguished from ecbatic (ecbatic denotes a mere result or consequence, which differes from telic, which denotes intention or purpose)

One telic is in TOT:

"Linden found herself breathing the pellucid and crackling scents of autumn as if her lungs were eager for the odd way in which the atmosphere here tasted telic, deliberate—wrested from the dour Rim and the Raw by powers she could not begin to comprehend."

Which sort of makes sense, because autumn is the end of the year, etc. etc., and perhaps the incomprehensible powers have some goal in mind for the air, but it's strange all the same.

Then in TWL I guess it means "purposeful":

"Telic red burned at him from all sides; every rukh was aflame with compulsion."
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I thought "cerements" was the Runes word.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I think there are a couple of things on this page that should be Spoilered, since they relate to Runes, and (astoundingly 8O ) not everyone has read it yet.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I don't think anything has been revealed up to this point, but it would be wise to spoiler any Runes comments in this forum.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

copse
Last edited by Sunbaneglasses on Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Pumpkin King
<i>Haruchai</i>
Location: If I knew that, I wouldn't be here, would I? ;) Or, really, would I? Gaaaahh...

Post by The Pumpkin King »

On the note of this subject....

Surprisingly, I don't remember reading the word "Roynish" ONCE in Runes!
Go Godzilla, go!
Jurassic Lizard Superstar Hero
Go Godzilla, go!
For the people, for the planet!
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Puissant is a bad one, but the one that came to mind when I saw this thread is "augury". Through first 120+ pages of Runes, and this word has gotten on my nerves.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Aranion
Stonedownor

Post by Aranion »

"Inchoate" (which I always want to pronounce "in-ko-ate" for some reason) and "lugubrious" (used a lot in Mordant, not so much in TC novels). HATE that word.
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand
perversion
Servant of the Land

Post by perversion »

From the first two chronicles -

vehement
vertigo

and from runes, it's gotta be discernment.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

perversion wrote:From the first two chronicles -

vehement
vertigo

and from runes, it's gotta be discernment.
Hail and welcome perversion!! :roll: :roll: [Did I just say that!! :lol: ]
Enjoy your time at the Watch!!

As to the words - U2 / Bono must have liked vertigo!!! Perhaps he's an SRD fan!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
perversion
Servant of the Land

Post by perversion »

Thanks Creator -

This looks like a great forum with some good people. I've been a SRD fan for years, and I was very excited to have found this site.

well, I'm off to lurk in the Movie section. Imagine my surprise and excitement that there is even talk of making The Chronicles into a movie. I can't wait!

perversion
Kimi
Servant of the Land

Post by Kimi »

+1 formication

I get it, she feels bugs - ick. Yeah, is it necessary, REALLY necessary, to tell me about feeling bugs EVERY time?
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

Post by malinda_maloney »

I'm pretty sure that if I had the choice, I would never want to hear the word vertigo again.

There's another word that bugs me too... but I forgot what it was. I'll look it up sometime.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

Post by malinda_maloney »

I know what it is... it's volition. That's getting on my nerves quite quickly.[/i]
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

You know, I can understand formication and puissance as annoying because of the frequency of their use within a limited span of pages, coupled with the fact that they are not "everyday" words. I felt they were overused.

But vertigo, volition, vehement, copse? That's just reaching. Why not get annoyed at the word "the."There is a difference between use and overuse. Those I do not see as annoying at all. There is no formication in those words.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Thaale
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thaale »

I agree with Myste et al about roynish. I always kind of liked the fact that he had his pet words, and most I didn't mind, but that one is just too ugly (and obscure).

Telic, gelid, and lambent were some of the other ones I always identified with him.

One other word I've grown to dislike from SRD is sojourn, because he misuses it so often.

Actually, a lot of those other words come up very often in fantasy. Puissant, for instance. If you read a lot of fantasy (or a lot, period) you come across puissant, etc., enough that one author's (over-)use of it probably wouldn't even strike you. But I don't thin there's anywhere other than an SRD book that you'd consistently see roynish.
Aranion wrote:"Inchoate" (which I always want to pronounce "in-ko-ate" for some reason)
That's correct, so your instincts are good.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Finally..

Post by lurch »

...hate is awfully strong,,but there are two words when used together by SRD, i come close to an emotional extreme. The words are; " The End".
.......MEL

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”