Gary Oldman as TC

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

marshm
Stonedownor

Gary Oldman as TC

Post by marshm »

It struck me like a TON of bricks. My "picture of the mind" of TC's face is now inextricably Gary Oldman - 26 years after first reading of TC!
Last edited by marshm on Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh yes, I CAN hope... for an early release of the next TC book!
"Never enter a battle of wits against an unarmed man."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I cannot read the Chronicles without seeing Harrison Ford ...

But the question is, how did Gary Oldman get attached 26 in your mind years ago?
marshm
Stonedownor

Post by marshm »

It did not, 26 years ago. I always had my own image of TC that was not "attached" to any particular actor. Over the weekend, I saw Gary Oldman in "The Professional" opposite Jean Reno. I had seen the movie before (a great one, BTW), but had never made the connection. Then it struck me. He has the emotional range (an aspect SRD himself thinks is essential), and the fanatical visage.

A good friend believes Val Kilmer would be good, but I think he is a bit too "pretty", not fanatical enough.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I don't know... he was great in that movie, and I think he's an awesome actor... but I will forever see him as Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg from The Fifth Element, and you just can't take a guy seriously after that. Not to mention the occasionally cheesy Sirius Black impression...
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Warmark Jay
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Warmark Jay »

I dunno - think GO might be too old to play Covenant. He'd be an interesting Mhoram, though.

Although I'm geeked out over him as Lt. Gordon in "Batman Begins"!
"That must be the King."
"How do you know?"
"He hasn't got sh*t all over him."
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'd have said Oldman was about the right age to play TC, who I always thought of as being in his mid-thirties during the first chrons. Besides he's an actor able to play visually diverse parts pretty much seamlessly, they could easily take off or put a decade of him IMO.

His sister playes Big Mo in Eastenders, if we ever get that far perhaps he could could convince her to play the Mahdoubt. Hmm, a cockney Mahdoubt...
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

sorry i just don't see Gary Coleman as tc...what Oldman? the guy who played Sid? well that's better...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

marshm wrote: A good friend believes Val Kilmer would be good, but I think he is a bit too "pretty", not fanatical enough.
Val Kilmer as TC? May I just say to your friend in my best John McEnroe voice: You cannot be serious! :P

Attention, Zahir! You slayed us with that George Clooney movie poster, now do one for Val Kilmer! :) Please?
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Matrixman wrote:Attention, Zahir! You slayed us with that George Clooney movie poster, now do one for Val Kilmer! :) Please?
I second that motion! :lol:
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Spotteddoe
Servant of the Land

Hey! I can be flexible...

Post by Spotteddoe »

The image fits.

I had to look up who he was - I'm very bad a recognizing names of actors until I've seen them in several films.

But I think he would be able to play covenant too.

Good choice.
Spotteddoe

Few authors have conveyed so clearly the true meaning of the phrase "Unto Thine Own Self Be True."

Thank you Mr. Donaldson.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

GO would make a better Mhoram, IMO.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think Oldman would make a fantastic Quaan.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Servant of the Land

I think Ed Harris could do the job

Post by manhilien »

after seeing him in The Hours, he can definitely do gaunt and tortured, and I like his quiet confidence when it is called upon. Actually, I also think he could have out Aragorned Viggo Mortensen. He was spectacluar as Jackson Pollock and marvellous in A Beautiful Mind.
marshm
Stonedownor

Post by marshm »

I'm not so sure about GO as Mhoram - he does not exude that inner goodness I always envisioned in Mhoram.

Two others who would, in my opinion, do well as TC:

Kevin Spacey (see him in Se7en for the fanatical but calm visage)
Gary Sinise (wonderful in everything I've seen him in, my second choice to GO)
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

What about Oldman as Hile Troy? I think he could do the attitude... not sure about the later insecurities... Eh, on second thought, maybe not.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

He was spectacluar as Jackson Pollock and marvellous in A Beautiful Mind
You're thinking of Ed Harris, right?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ed Harris is a magnificent actor, check him out in The Third Miracle. I'd love to see him in the Chrons, just not sure as who.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm liking the idea of Gary Sinise as Mhoram, I must admit.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Ariadoss
Woodhelvennin

Post by Ariadoss »

Nav wrote:I'd have said Oldman was about the right age to play TC, who I always thought of as being in his mid-thirties during the first chrons. Besides he's an actor able to play visually diverse parts pretty much seamlessly, they could easily take off or put a decade of him IMO.

His sister playes Big Mo in Eastenders, if we ever get that far perhaps he could could convince her to play the Mahdoubt. Hmm, a cockney Mahdoubt...
Well I like Gary Oldman as an actor... But yeah Covenant I think needs to be potrayed by a no-name actor, perhaps they should take some guy write out of the theatre. I really like the idea of having "new" actors but also experienced (like in theatre) play the parts of the characters.
My actor suggestion would be Ioan Gruffudd who played Lancelot in King Arthur, he sorta looks like what I imagined Covenant to look like. :P
Hoerkin
Servant of the Land

Post by Hoerkin »

Ian Bannen played The Leper, Robert Bruce Sr. in Braveheart. He may be a bit old..

To really do the part justice, it would require an actor that can easily express a range of emotions and interact dynamically with other actors. A few come to mind; William Hurt, Kevin Spacey or Jack Nicholson. These names are probably too pricey for the budget unfortunately..

I think Patrick Stewart would make a good Mhoram...
Hoerkin

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”