Gradual Interview - STOP!!!!

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Gradual Interview - STOP!!!!

Post by Usivius »

OK, like all the rest of you, I am not only amazed and impressed that SRD has a section on his website where he directly answers questions sent to him. I myself have sent a couple that nagged at me.
BUT!... As he not so subtly hinted at before, amount of time answering GI questions, takes away from time spent on next book!
3 years projected time?!!!! Stop the madness! Stop sending questions! There will be plenty of time in 10 years time, when all four books are out, to ask questions and receive answers! SRD promised he would live forever!
So, please, stop sending questions (over 200 questions back-log!!!) I want the next book ASAP!!!! :cry:

Ok, that is all. I had my rant. Go back to your lives...
:wink:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm with you on this one. I haven't submitted a question in months. However, I'm not sure that the people who're submitting questions now are necessarily KW members - at least I don't get that impression. One thing I've noticed is that questions are generally posted to the website late in the evening, and I get the feeling that SRD is using the GI as a kind of "cooling off" period, before leaving the office. If that's the case, more power to him
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I submitted the first ever question to the GI, and one about a year ago. None since then.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I've only submitted a single question to SRD and that was last year. If I may puff up and do some chest-beating, let me say that my question seems to have been a unique one which no one else has repeated.

I agree with dlbpharmd. SRD had mentioned previously in the GI that he works on his books only during weekdays on a 9-to-5 kind of schedule and leaves his evenings and weekends free for other things. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I, for one, agree with SRD, in that the GI is more help than hindrance.
In the GI was wrote:2) There is no question that I *have* been influenced by the GI--but not in the way(s) you describe. As a narrative artist, I face an incessant dilemma which (I believe) plagues all artists in one form or another: I suffer from a natural and understandable (and perhaps inevitable) impulse to *leave out* anything that seems perfectly obvious to me. At the same time, I expound endlessly on anything that I find obscure or difficult. But guess what? The things that are obvious to me are seldom obvious to the reader. At the same time, readers are quicker on the up-take than I am (because they read so much more quickly than I write). So: the GI has been particularly good at helping me catch those passages where I have left out the "obvious." To a lesser extent, the GI helps me recognize instances of excessive explanation. When it is complete, "The Last Chronicles" will be a, well, more stable edifice because of the GI.

Of course, editors are supposed to do this job. But these days what editor has the time?
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Wayfriend wrote:I, for one, agree with SRD, in that the GI is more help than hindrance.
In the GI was wrote:2) There is no question that I *have* been influenced by the GI--but not in the way(s) you describe. As a narrative artist, I face an incessant dilemma which (I believe) plagues all artists in one form or another: I suffer from a natural and understandable (and perhaps inevitable) impulse to *leave out* anything that seems perfectly obvious to me. At the same time, I expound endlessly on anything that I find obscure or difficult. But guess what? The things that are obvious to me are seldom obvious to the reader. At the same time, readers are quicker on the up-take than I am (because they read so much more quickly than I write). So: the GI has been particularly good at helping me catch those passages where I have left out the "obvious." To a lesser extent, the GI helps me recognize instances of excessive explanation. When it is complete, "The Last Chronicles" will be a, well, more stable edifice because of the GI.

Of course, editors are supposed to do this job. But these days what editor has the time?

Well said, Wayfriend! I think SRD is a "big boy": if he didn't want to answer GI questions he wouldn't. As Wayfriend says (and as SRD himself basically says), it's more of a help than a hinderance. I don't think people should be saying "don't send in GI questions, it is stopping him from working on Fatal Revenant". I think everyone should just stop thinking SRD is incapable of making theses decisions for himself. Surely he deserves more credit than that!

My personal opinion: he's probably quite a few chapters into FR already! ;)
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Seareach wrote:I think everyone should just stop thinking SRD is incapable of making these decisions for himself. Surely he deserves more credit than that!
Quite so! To shut down the GI because SRD might waste some of his working time is like . . . well . . . it's like someone forbidding all use of Earthpower because it might lead to another Desecration.
Spoiler
And look where that got us! Thanks a million, Masters.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Variol Farseer wrote:
Seareach wrote:I think everyone should just stop thinking SRD is incapable of making these decisions for himself. Surely he deserves more credit than that!
Quite so! To shut down the GI because SRD might waste some of his working time is like . . . well . . . it's like someone forbidding all use of Earthpower because it might lead to another Desecration.
Spoiler
:LOLS: Well said, VF.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:?
sheesh! Can't anyone take a joke....

:wink:
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

What's that supposed to mean!!?!?!?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Usivius wrote:sheesh! Can't anyone take a joke....
Threads are like cats - they never go where you want them to.

Threads are like 18 year old kids - you throw them out and hope they turn out all right.

Threads are like your dad's car - you can start it, but you don't get to steer.

Etc. etc.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol:
excellent wayfriend...
Scorn the Terrible
Woodhelvennin
Location: At the Heart of the Earth, corrupting the very essence of the world.

Post by Scorn the Terrible »

Instead of stopping altogether, perhaps we should just lessen the questions we send him.

IT WORKS FO' EV'RYBODDEE.
WORDS OF WISDOM FROM THOMAS COVENANT: Image
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Well, I've never sent him a question, so don't look at me.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Variol Farseer wrote:
Spoiler
:lol:

It's also like appointing an arbitrary admin because the public might not be able to avoid well-marked spoiler forums. [/bitterness]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

*pulls up pants
*runs away
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:LOLS:
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

(...I've got to stop reading the second page first....)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Dunno about stopping the GI, but it would be nice to get a FAQ up and require people to read it before asking questions.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Sylvanus wrote:it would be nice to get a FAQ up and require people to read it before asking questions.
That, my friend, is one of the Seven Unsolvable Problems of the Universe - how to get people to read a FAQ before posting a question. That, and a way to make Eggs Benedict so that everything is hot at the same time ... mmm, eggs Benedict .... anyway, if you could solve that problem, you're on your way to being a mult-millionaire.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”