I Have Decided ... (With Thanks to Loremaster and Danlo)

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

I Have Decided ... (With Thanks to Loremaster and Danlo)

Post by Metal-Demon »

After reading both Loremaster and Danlo's Top Sci-Fi favourite books, I have decided to check out the works of David Zindell (specifically "Neverness") ... but I was dismayed to learn that his books are currently out of print (at least here in Canada). 8O

I asked every bookseller in town, and none of them can order me any of Zindell's works. So I took it upon myself to wade thru the endless stacks of used paperbacks in every old dusty book store I could find ... and still nothing.

Does anyone know where I can get new copies of Zindell's books besides Ebay and/or Amazon (which will probably both cost me a fortune to deal with)?

My most sincere thanks to anyone who can help me out!

(I should note that I also have decided to read "Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem and Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun", and C.J. Cherryh's "Faded Sun Trilogy"" based solely on their recommendations.)
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Hi there!

Perhaps you should try your luck at abebooks.com. They specialize in out of print books, etc, and I have always been able to find what I was looking for when I did business with them in the past.

Best of luck,

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I got a used copy of Neverness from Amazon, was in good shape and wasn't very costly. :)

I got the other three books in that series (Neverness itself could be read as a stand alone novel, but it also introduces some of the characters and places who appear in the follow-up trilogy) -- Broken God, The Wild, and War in Heaven new from Amazon -- but Amazon flew them in from the UK for me. 8O

David Zindell is also in the midst of writing a very good fantasy series, and I think you can only obtain those books from Europe, too. :?
Love as thou wilt.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

:)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

YESSSS!!!!ImageGO DEMON GO!!!! :S You're ready to embark on a GREAT adventure! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

ALL RIGHT MD!!!!!!! I'm eternally grateful to danlo for having introduced me to the Neverness series, which I think is second to none! Absolutely brilliant stuff!!!

Neverness: Used www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing ... dition=all

The Broken God: New??? "Only 2 left in stock"??? www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553762 ... 03-1065637
Used www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing ... dition=all

The Wild: New? "Only 1 left in stock"? www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ ... ce&s=books

War in Heaven: New "Only 2 left in stock" www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553762 ... 03-1065637

I can't imagine the sites that claim to have new copies really do, and the used are less expensive anyway.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Thanks everyone! :)
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I haven't read Zindell yet. I'm tempted by the EA cycle fantasy more than the science fiction novels, but I tend to only buy from amazon.uk the books of authors I'm already familiar with, because of the exorbitant postage.

What really astounds me, though, is that Zindell is apparently an American but only has a publisher in Britain? How the heck did that happen??!!!!! 8O
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Bantam/Spectra (yes the same guys who gave SRD the merciless Gap deadlines) absolutely screwed him: extremely limited publication and little to no (except for Orson Scott Card) publicity. They had no idea how frigging great his books were (it also had the same misfortune of first appearing just before Hyperion). So he said the hell with America after Harper/Collins brought the rights to Neverness and made it one of their exclusive "Voyager Classics" line. Titled "Inexistience" the translation did extremely well in France.
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”