Working Titles

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Warmark
Lord

Working Titles

Post by Warmark »

just read this in the gradual interview
*think* (but I could be wrong) they were all one word titles. One definitely was "Sunbane." Another may have been "Seaquest." Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.
i think i prefer Seaquest to The One Tree even if it does sound a little more common fastany

i still like The Wounded Land over Sunbane
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I think the titles as they are give a more serious tone to the book. It wouldn't seem to fir to call it Seaquest, it seems too Jovial for the series.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

SRD also said that LFB was originally called "Lord Foul's Ritual" but Lester Del Rey changed the title to what we know and love. Personally, I prefer LFB.

TWL is better (IMHO) than "Sunbane"... and

"Formicating Puissant Argence" is better than "The One Tree" :lol:
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

How about, "The Whiney Chronicles of Thomas Covenants companion Linden Avery the Chosen"
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Nav
Lord

Re: Working Titles

Post by Nav »

Warmark wrote:i think i prefer Seaquest to The One Tree even if it does sound a little more common fastany
How can anyone who lived through the horror that was Seaquest DSV even contemplate that? The careers of Roy Scheider and Stephanie Beacham must be turning in their graves.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Seaquest DSV
either i didnt live through this or im just stupid (probabley the latter)
What is it?
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Warmark wrote:
Seaquest DSV
either i didnt live through this or im just stupid (probabley the latter)
What is it?
A bad TV show, imho.

www.tvtome.com/seaQuest/
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

SeaQuest DSV aka "SeaQuest DOA", and "Voyage to the bottom of the Ratings"

The exciting adventures of a group of scientists on a submarine, including a young genius and a "talking" dolphin.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Hmmm sounds good. ;)

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Actually, it wasn't that bad. I remember watching it on a number of occasions. Not particularly consistent, though, as I recall...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

It was a bit cheesy, and it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, either.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

isn't the kid from that Seaquest show dead? too tired to look it up right now.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yeah, as soon as SRD mentioned "Seaquest" in the GI, that TV show popped into my head. In hindsight, it's a relief that SRD went with "The One Tree" instead. The last thing we and SRD need is to have the Chronicles be associated with a not-particularly-good sci-fi TV show. I admit I do like the fantastic-looking Seaquest itself, and its "bioskin" or whatever is a cool concept. Okay, I also thought Roy Scheider was good as Capt. Nathan Bridger. And, okay, the 2-part episode guest starring Luke Sky--er, Mark Hamill, gets some brownie points from me. But generally the show sabotaged itself with laughable and sometimes incomprehensible plots. It was too bad, because I was initially quite excited about the show. It squandered away its potential.

I'm getting hilarious visions of Covenant, Linden and company aboard the Seaquest as guests of Capt. Bridger. Together, they would have a neat adventure seeking out The One Tree while exploring the oceans of that world and fending off the Nicor. Darwin the Dolphin would, of course, have the opportunity to hang out for a bit with the Elohim and have telepathic chats with them. And the futuristic weaponry of the Seaquest would come in very handy in dealing with the hostile ships in Brathair Harbor. Also, with the Seaquest being an undersea vessel, it would completely bystep surface inconveniences like hurricanes and dead calm seas, for a relatively comfortable journey to the Isle of the One Tree. As for our friendly neighborhood Raver, well, maybe it could possess a giant squid or something and have it attack the Seaquest (uh, wait a sec, in one episode the ship did get attacked by genetically altered giant squid).

Hey, this could work! I should dedicate myself to re-writing all the Seaquest shows as Covenant stories--and get myself promptly sued by SRD's publishers...
Rincewind
Giantfriend

Post by Rincewind »

Matrixman wrote:starring Luke Sky--er, Mark Hamill
its really gotta suck never being seen as anything but a jedi.... or does it...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

drew wrote:How about, "The Whiney Chronicles of Thomas Covenants companion Linden Avery the Chosen"
:lol: *salutes a fellow Linden-disparager* :lol:
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

CovenantJr wrote:
drew wrote:How about, "The Whiney Chronicles of Thomas Covenants companion Linden Avery the Chosen"
:lol: *salutes a fellow Linden-disparager* :lol:
count me in that group too^.
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”