GI, July 2004 question

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

GI, July 2004 question

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

When SRD was asked about him ever doing or planning to write a childrens story he replied with this:

"I've said before that I don't (consciously) choose my stories: they choose me. For what are, I hope, obvious reasons, a children's story has never chosen me"

What does "obvious reasons" mean?
Just the fact that he's never written one?
Seems like there might be some personal stuff I'm not aware of?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Rincewind
Giantfriend

Post by Rincewind »

he means he doesent want to lower himself to the level of those annoying small things commonly referred to as... children
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I imagine it's probably because the ways he deals with his subjects--guilt, redemption, powerlessness, and the costs of responsibility--are not particularly well-suited to children.

Accessing fear and the darker side of wonder--the way Stephen King and Neil Gaiman do--is in its way a lot more innocent than what SRD does. King & Gaiman take readers to the darker side of the human imagination; even at his scariest, King is still fanciful. SRD takes readers to the darker side of humanity in general; only his contexts--The Land, space, Mordant--are imaginary. It's what makes him a better writer, and what makes his books more difficult to read
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Loredoctor
Lord

Re: GI, July 2004 question

Post by Loredoctor »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Seems like there might be some personal stuff I'm not aware of?
Why read so much into this?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
High Lord Tolkien

Loremaster wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Seems like there might be some personal stuff I'm not aware of?
Oh, I don't know, maybe because this is Kevin's Watch and not Mallory24/7!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It was the "obviously" that struck me as strange.
Later on in the GI he talks about knowing very well about being sued or something vague like that.
Anyone know the details on that one too.
Or is it in the GI somewhere?

(I admit that I skip around the GI and I don't know why)

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Myste wrote:I imagine it's probably because the ways he deals with his subjects--guilt, redemption, powerlessness, and the costs of responsibility--are not particularly well-suited to children.

Accessing fear and the darker side of wonder--the way Stephen King and Neil Gaiman do--is in its way a lot more innocent than what SRD does. King & Gaiman take readers to the darker side of the human imagination; even at his scariest, King is still fanciful. SRD takes readers to the darker side of humanity in general; only his contexts--The Land, space, Mordant--are imaginary. It's what makes him a better writer, and what makes his books more difficult to read
I agree (though I find Stephen King far more difficult to read than Donaldson - bloody midwest colloquialisms!). Children can deal with far-fetched monster-under-the-bed stuff, but Donaldson's dark themes usually revolve around the internal struggles of human beings.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
Oh, I don't know, maybe because this is Kevin's Watch and not Mallory24/7!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It was the "obviously" that struck me as strange.
Later on in the GI he talks about knowing very well about being sued or something vague like that.
Anyone know the details on that one too.
Or is it in the GI somewhere?

(I admit that I skip around the GI and I don't know why)
I think I read somewhere on the GI or the website itself that SRD went through a bitter divorce at some point in his life. Perhaps his ex gave him a hard time about their children?
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

CovenantJr wrote:I agree (though I find Stephen King far more difficult to read than Donaldson - bloody midwest colloquialisms!).
They're actually New England colloquialisms, but same difference. Down Eastern is as weird as Midwestern. ;) :P
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
High Lord Tolkien

Menolly wrote: I think I read somewhere on the GI or the website itself that SRD went through a bitter divorce at some point in his life. Perhaps his ex gave him a hard time about their children?
See? I didn't know he was divorced or even had children.
I find that stuff interesting.

Image Image Image Image
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Myste wrote:I imagine it's probably because the ways he deals with his subjects--guilt, redemption, powerlessness, and the costs of responsibility--are not particularly well-suited to children.
I agree totally with you Myste!

Why do people think it has anything to do with SRD's personal life? I think that has absolutely *nothing* to do with it! When SRD says
I've said before that I don't (consciously) choose my stories: they choose me. For what are, I hope, obvious reasons, a children's story has never chosen me.
do people honestly think that it's because he went through a bitter divorce or what ever? To me the "obvious reason" is what Myste said.
High Lord Tolkien

Seareach wrote:
I agree totally with you Myste!

Why do people think it has anything to do with SRD's personal life? I think that has absolutely *nothing* to do with it! When SRD says
I've said before that I don't (consciously) choose my stories: they choose me. For what are, I hope, obvious reasons, a children's story has never chosen me.
do people honestly think that it's because he went through a bitter divorce or what ever? To me the "obvious reason" is what Myste said.
Well, I wonder about that.
A writer draws upon his/her life experiences.
A bitter divorce or loss of a child or having a father that treated lepers is going to affect someone in some way whether they know it or not.

This doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story and I don't believe that knowing the life of the author will give me any insight behind his works.
But just like others here enjoy hearing about SRD's likes and dislikes or political affiliation I like to hear other tidbits too.

(Maybe I'm just dumb but I still don't get the "obvious" part.)

Image Image Image Image
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Look at his track record.

The Chronicles of TC chose to be written - tale of a rapist leper tormented by impotence and guilt.

The Gap chose to be written - I haven't read it yet, but I know from reputation that it's pretty grim stuff.

I'd say the reasons for children's stories not choosing SRD areobvious.

Myste wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:I agree (though I find Stephen King far more difficult to read than Donaldson - bloody midwest colloquialisms!).
They're actually New England colloquialisms, but same difference. Down Eastern is as weird as Midwestern. ;) :P
:lol: I've been told King is from the Midwest. I'll slap my source ;)
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Well, I wonder about that.
A bitter divorce or loss of a child or having a father that treated lepers is going to affect someone in some way whether they know it or not.
Don't get me wrong: I know that writers draw upon their life experiences. As an example, SRD reveals in the GI that "Penance" is the story which
responds to a lawsuit impugning my honor, both as a writer and as a father.
And, I guess the obvious one is the fact that Thomas Covenant is a leper. If SRD hadn't grown up around lepers Thomas Covenant wouldn't be the man we know him as.

Why I think the reason is "obvious" (and has nothing to do with his divorce) is because, as others are saying, the themes aren't appropriate for children's books.

SRD writes (GI):
As I've had occasion to mention before, I write for readers who are, in essence, Just Like Me. That is to say, readers who share my love of language, my passionate nature, my ready empathy, my willingness to suspend disbelief, and my tolerance for paradox (to an unsympathetic reader, "paradox" is just another name for "self-contradiction"). For that reason, among several others, I certainly do not write to be read by middle school children. Indeed, the very idea frightens me. And yet I'm confronted over and over again by the (very) humbling fact that many of my most devoted readers first discovered my work as teenagers--and often as early teenagers. Go figure *that* out. My only explanation is that I actually do know how to tell a good story; and that children are often especially willing to suspend disbelief.
When he says "the very idea frightens me" I take it to mean that, as a parent, he identifies that what he writes about isn't appropriate for young children. I certainly wouldn't want my young teenage children reading The GAP series...although I did read The Real Story when I was 15! :)
High Lord Tolkien

Seareach wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Well, I wonder about that.
Don't get me wrong: I know that writers draw upon their life experiences. As an example, SRD reveals in the GI that "Penance" is the story which
responds to a lawsuit impugning my honor, both as a writer and as a father.
And, I guess the obvious one is the fact that Thomas Covenant is a leper. If SRD hadn't grown up around lepers Thomas Covenant wouldn't be the man we know him as.

Why I think the reason is "obvious" (and has nothing to do with his divorce) is because, as others are saying, the themes aren't appropriate for children's books.

SRD writes (GI):
As I've had occasion to mention before, I write for readers who are, in essence, Just Like Me. That is to say, readers who share my love of language, my passionate nature, my ready empathy, my willingness to suspend disbelief, and my tolerance for paradox (to an unsympathetic reader, "paradox" is just another name for "self-contradiction"). For that reason, among several others, I certainly do not write to be read by middle school children. Indeed, the very idea frightens me. And yet I'm confronted over and over again by the (very) humbling fact that many of my most devoted readers first discovered my work as teenagers--and often as early teenagers. Go figure *that* out. My only explanation is that I actually do know how to tell a good story; and that children are often especially willing to suspend disbelief.
When he says "the very idea frightens me" I take it to mean that, as a parent, he identifies that what he writes about isn't appropriate for young children. I certainly wouldn't want my young teenage children reading The GAP series...although I did read The Real Story when I was 15! :)
Ok, that makes more sense to me now.
It also made me remember that he also says in the GI, somewhere, that someone once told him that younger adults can focus on parts that they like/understand and leave out the rest.

Image Image Image Image

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”