Most Underrated Bands

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dANdeLION wrote:I think Foghat and Wings were underrated.
AGREED!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

I agree also. Foghat is making a bit of a comeback lately as their music is in a lot of movies. They are definetly one of my faves..
Join me and we can end this destructive conflict...
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

Billy Joe Shaver, got to see him Saturday. loved his work before, but the man is so good live.

www.billyjoeshaver.com/
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

Billy Joe is a true Texas legend along with Gary P. Nunn and Jerry Jeff Walker. I sing Gary's "London Homesick Blues" to myself at least once a week.

My wife says I sing great tenor..... tenor twelve miles away from everyone.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

well I got to meet the man at a Cactus appearance. he did 3 songs from his upcoming album then did a rousing version of Try, Try, Try Again. with a distinct gospel flavor. i got a poster and cd cover signed, some pics and to shake the hand of this great man. couldn't see the full show, hope to next time he rolls in!
safetyjedi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by safetyjedi »

awesome!
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

thanks, i love the smaller venues. i like to meet the artists.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Lord Mhoram wrote:dAN,
I find humor in the thought that you think what I have said is in some way not the absolute truth.
I find some humor in the thought that you assume what you say must be the absolute truth.
And I find humour in the thought that you think I think that way.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm with you MM. Big Country is a tremendous band. Both The Seer and the Wonderland EP are just fantastic. The cool thing is when I put them on at home (or find a jukebox that has 'em), people love it.

I'd also add that Kate Bush is seriously underrated.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Oops, I forgot to mention the Wonderland EP, Cail. All the songs from that release are now available as bonus tracks on the remastered versions of those four albums... :)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Dang, now I gotta buy them all over again!

Is anyone from B.C. doing anything now? I saw Tony Butler play with Pete Townsend years ago, but that's it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

check out the Throwing Muses and related bands...
Belly, Tanya Donelly, Kristen Hersh, 50 ft Wave.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Canadian Bands

Post by drew »

Underrated bands..there are a lot of Great Canadian Bands who are under rated everywhere else.
Some of them, because they are (as disscussed earlier) unable to be put in a specific genre.

Blue Rodeo for example; a mix between rock, and country..but nothing like a rock/country band. To see them live, you'd swear you were watching a teenaged punk band, except for their beautifull ballads.

The Tea Party, not quite metal, not quite Prog, but incredible musicians-every album has a separate feel, and sound..each unique--they love to use world sounds in their songs.

The Tragically Hip--best band name in the business--okay, I'd say they are under rated in the rest of the world, but OverRated in Canada. Have some great songs, Nautical Dissaster, Poets, Ahead by a Century, Bobcagen.

I could go on...the Canadian music scene is Not all Avril Laginge or (shudder) Alanis Morrisette (thank God!).
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Wow, The Tea Party. We had Much Music when we lived in Jacksonville, so I saw a lot of Tea Party videos. "Temptation" kicks ass!
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Yeah, that was from their heaviest album "Transmission".
If you liked that song, you should pick up the album.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

do you know of the Doughboys? great Canadian band.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Yeah, I've got their popular album-the one with Shine on it. I was suprised to see that they had like 6 or 7 albums, back in the mid 90's.

I know the singer started a new band a few years ago, but I don't think they went too far.

Another Canadian band that was great in their time, was Moist. Their first album was the best, the next two were okay...then the singer went Solo, but uses most of the Moist musicians on his albums.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

i have two ep's from the Doughboys. "When Up Turns To Down' (took me ten years to find on cd!)
and Shine. have yet to track down a full album.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Cail wrote: Is anyone from B.C. doing anything now? I saw Tony Butler play with Pete Townsend years ago, but that's it.
For any Big Country fans out there who may not know:

Founder and front man Stuart Adamson took his own life on Dec. 16th, 2001. :(

The band has a new line-up that includes Bruce Watson and Mark Brzezicki, but not Tony Butler. I'm not sure what their current status is.

You can check the official Big Country website for more info. While there, you might also want to check out the tributes to Adamson from fans and fellow peers.

Adamson's death was a huge shock to me. He had always seemed a clear-headed sort of person, but I understand that he was battling alcoholism at the time of his passing.

He is gone, but the songs live on.
Sheriff Lytton
Giantfriend

Post by Sheriff Lytton »

For those of you who have the good taste to dig XTC, then check out the "25 o'clock" EP and "Psonic Psunspot" album by a band called The Dukes of Stratosphear. This is XTC under a different name making music of a somewhat 60's cum psychedelic bent and it's just midbendingly good stuff, better than the stuff they do as XTC to my jaded ears.

Seriously, if you like XTC this will change your life ! They really are one of the most underrated bands ever and the Dukes of Stratosphear material is even more criminally ignored than the XTC stuff.

Another band who never really got the kudos they deserved are King's X, although among rock musicians they are often spoken of in reverential tones. King's X are very much like Rush - a three piece whose albums are odd affairs that veer between absolute genius and ridiculous self-indulgence. You really have to see them live to appreciate how amazingly good they truly are.

Unlike Rush, with King's X at least the vocals are ear-friendly.

And as for Rush only getting recognition when they stop producing valid and innovative music - I personally reckon they should have got into the hall of fame about 10 years ago on those grounds. :twisted:

That band used to be beautiful, although they're still stunning live and have just about the best rhythm section ever seen in a rock band. What they need is a really merciless producer when they make studio albums - someone who can get it into their heads that just because you can put 70 minutes of music onto a CD doesn't mean you should. If they tried whittling it down to the best 45 minutes they have, they'd vastly improve the quality of their albums.

P.S: re: The Pink Floyd art/prog rock classification debate ? It's music and extremely good music at that. Surely that will suffice ?
"Nom"

Return to “Vespers”