Important post regarding the Movie

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I don't think anyone was bashing Stephen King himself--there's an awful lot of King fans around! :D But as for his movies...some have been good, some--well, I mean, did you see Maximum Overdrive??

A miniseries is a definite possibility for good work--especially with John Orloff's track record with Band of Brothers. The key to beating the miniseries-kiss-of-death is high production values, like those employed by HBO. And the Chrons demand high production values anyway, because they'd have to be effects-intensive, whether or not they used CGI characters. One big concern with a miniseries is whether it could have the effects budget of a feature film.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

While I totally agree that the treatment a book gets very often has little, if anything, to do with the author, and while I personally enjoy SK's work very much, (especially The Stand (and admittedly, I don't think much of most of the recent stuff) ), I can't agree with you about the quality of the mini-series.

Thought it was awful. Didn't even watch past the first 2 hours or so.

And I think that the majority of movies made from his books have been the same way. Certainly not his fault, but that doesn't make them any more watchable.

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I agree about the Stand, although I did watch all of it. There were glimmers of good in it, but a lot of it ended up toward the stinky side. Particularly when the Walkin' Dude turned into a demon. Just pure silliness.

And I think when the Stand came out, Gary Sinese was already on the map with a little movie called Forrest Gump.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Me, I enjoyed The Stand very much. Even own a copy. The Shining made a very scary but emotionally un-involving movie, whereas the mini-series captured exactly what draws me to his writing in the first place. Also loved The Storm of the Century while only liking Rose Red (which was basically well-done fun). Thoroughly enjoyed Kingdom Hospital, although there were some problems.

I think in adapting works you need to keep the heart, the visceral inspiration of the book or play or whatever. That is the first priority. Then, as long as you keep to that and to good story-telling, incorporate as many details from the original as feasible.

LOTR was mostly a very fine adaptation, for example, as was Ray Bradbury's script of Moby Dick and the now-classic The Maltese Falcon (actually the third or fourth version of same). The play Les Liasons Dangereuses was another example, one which the filmmakers did not follow, alas (I saw it on Broadway with Alan Rickman).

I also have to mention that adaptations can actually surpass the original now and then. Amadeus is actually a better film than play--and is a very good play. And The Hunt for Red October is a far better film than book (but then, it would kinda have to be).
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”