My ultimate to play TC in a film version

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Warmark wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:The Haruchai have never been black, silly boy :P
:lol: :lol:
Does it ever say they are asain? :?
Shall I pull out the old "SRD says" card again? :P ;) Actually, I don't see them as Asian either. I see them as Haruchai. They, like Stonedowners and Woodhelvennin, don't really fit to any template for me.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I actually first imagined them as neanderthals! Something about the description of their garb struck me as flintstonelike. Something about the way the spoke seemed to imply their being non-verbal. Something about SRDs description of their facial expressions gave me the impression of overhanging brows and large jaws.

To this day, if I don't think about it, they are still in my mind like grown up versions of Bam-Bam, except with dark hair.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

I suppose for me it was almost a mixture of african/asian features.

Wait, does this mean Tiger Woods is winning majors with some kind of Haruchai Oath of Long Drives?
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

"Tiger, how are you able to hit the ball so well?"

"I suffice"

:)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

We do not trust these caddies.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

He definitely fell prey to a merewife.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

I just watched "The Pianist" and Adrien Brody can definitely do gaunt and bearded. He's still not the perfect choice in my mind, but I don't think there is such a thing. I think you'd just have to pick someone you could trust and hope to be amazed.
Baracka
Stonedownor

A young Clint Eastwood

Post by Baracka »

A young Clint Eastwood would've made the perfect TC.

I can imagine Clint groaning in that soft voice of his, "Hell-fire...Damnation. Blasted, Foul. You can't do this!"
Last edited by Baracka on Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baracka
Stonedownor

Post by Baracka »

I bet that Asians were the inspiration for the Haruchai race.

#1. Stephen R Donaldson practices Martial Arts. It's logical that is where he got his idea of the Haruchai.

#2. The Guardian of the One Tree had an Asian-esqu name. Haruchai itself sounds asian.

#3. Haruchai were stoic, emotionless. I think this fits the Asian mindset.

#4. I picture Bruce Lee as the Guardian. And I picture other Asians as haruchai.

I picture Ramen as Native Americans. Black straight hair, brown skin.

I picture stowndowners as mostly Caucasians.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

good points, except for #1... SRD didn't start practicing martial ats until way after he wrote TCTC...

But in my mind's eye, I always 'pictured' them as a cross between the black and asian race.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

I really like the idea of Daniel Day Lewis playing Convenant.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
steppy
Servant of the Land

Post by steppy »

I know jeremy irons has been mentioned - as the voice for lord foul, but what about him as TC, maybe a little old but does the sarcasm soooo well!!! how about Alan Rickman as the voice for lord foul????
you're only jealous cos the little voices are talking to me!!!!
jimdwa
Servant of the Land

Post by jimdwa »

Donnie Wahlberg as TC. Remember him in "The Sixth Sense"? I think he could pull it off.

Someone said Helen Hunt was too old for Linden. She's about 40. How old was Linden supposed to be anyway? 40 doesn't seem to old.

I think of the Bloodguard as Asians too. Haruchai sounds Asian. I could see them as tough Japanese warriors. Chow Yun-Fat would be a good choice for Bannor.

The Warward soldiers I see as northern European or North American.

Saltheart doesn't have to be an actual large person. Watch "Bedazzled" in the scene where they make Brendon Fraser look like a 7'6" basketball player. He really pulls it off. I'm not recomending Fraser as Saltheart Foamfollower, but this gives you a greater range of actors to draw from.

The lords shouldnt' be too hard. I think they should be British. Their speech should be very educated proper English. Anthony Hopkins as Morham would be good but probably too expensive. There should be plenty of middle-aged actors in the UK looking for work. Alec Guinness would have worked but he died too soon.

Liam Neeson and Ewon Mcgreggor might make good lords. Of course McGreggor is Scotish and Neeson id Irish. And Jar Jar Binks as Drool RockWorm!
Your country and your family are to die for. Food is to eat - Martin Crane
Scribbler
Servant of the Land

Post by Scribbler »

The Haruchai are stocky and muscular aren't they? I don't see them as asian... I'd sooner go with somebody with the Michael Clark Duncan stature... only shorter though.

As for TC... Gary Oldman would be perfect for the role. The age, the look, portrays everything I see in TC. An average man.
Baracka
Stonedownor

Post by Baracka »

Scribbler wrote:The Haruchai are stocky and muscular aren't they? I don't see them as asian... I'd sooner go with somebody with the Michael Clark Duncan stature... only shorter though.

As for TC... Gary Oldman would be perfect for the role. The age, the look, portrays everything I see in TC. An average man.

Niowhere is the Haruchai portrayed as stocky and muscular. Actually, they were about Linden's height, suggesting medium height.
Scribbler
Servant of the Land

Post by Scribbler »

Baracka wrote:Niowhere is the Haruchai portrayed as stocky and muscular. Actually, they were about Linden's height, suggesting medium height.
Ummm.....where do you get that from? Nowhere do I recall reference between them and Linden's height...notwithstanding their description was brought about before Linden was even introduced to the story.

And as to where they were portrayed stocky and muscular...they have always been described as being slightly taller than average height, and appear to be built of the earth muscularly.

Not as a bunch of asians flippantly throwing roundhouses, backflips, floating through the air, and flashing nun-chuckas or swords or other exotic weapons like you'd see in the best of Jon Woo's movies or teenage imagination.

As an update to who I'd cast....

TC...I still stand by my perception of Gary Oldman.
Elena (that was his daughter right? been a few years since I've read the older books) Beautiful, elegant and capable of acting irrationally... Uma Thurman
Hile Troy... bear with me here... a good director, and good makeup could make Johny Depp and a pair of Foster Grants fit the profile.
Bannor ... kill his accent, make him look less spoonfed and more country bred.... make him look beat up and weather worn and put a few years of wisdom behind him... Mark Wahlberg. This is all visual perception though...not based on acting talent.
Linden Avery... Keeping in mind... not necessarily young and hot but still has class and presence, but can be tough, show maturity, and be attractive at the same time.... Michelle Pfeiffer
Saltheart Foamfollower...damn I wish Andre The Giant was still alive, but I bet Robin Williams could pull it off.
Lord Foul... somebody earlier recommended him as TC, but I think Christopher Walken would make a good Lord Foul.

OH! And here's an odd one..but think about it...

Vain... No dialog, so it'd be all expression... imagine Jack Black in the perfect makeup (shave his head, accentuate his mouth and eyes...and let him run with it). You might think it obsurd, but remember what everybody thought about Michael Keaton as Batman before it was released (now that I think about it... Keaton could make a good Lord Foul too...)
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

I agree SRD IS Covenant. There is something about his face that just draws you in.
Baracka
Stonedownor

Post by Baracka »

Scribbler wrote:
Baracka wrote:Niowhere is the Haruchai portrayed as stocky and muscular. Actually, they were about Linden's height, suggesting medium height.
Ummm.....where do you get that from? Nowhere do I recall reference between them and Linden's height...notwithstanding their description was brought about before Linden was even introduced to the story.

And as to where they were portrayed stocky and muscular...they have always been described as being slightly taller than average height, and appear to be built of the earth muscularly.

Not as a bunch of asians flippantly throwing roundhouses, backflips, floating through the air, and flashing nun-chuckas or swords or other exotic weapons like you'd see in the best of Jon Woo's movies or teenage imagination.

As an update to who I'd cast....

TC...I still stand by my perception of Gary Oldman.
Elena (that was his daughter right? been a few years since I've read the older books) Beautiful, elegant and capable of acting irrationally... Uma Thurman
Hile Troy... bear with me here... a good director, and good makeup could make Johny Depp and a pair of Foster Grants fit the profile.
Bannor ... kill his accent, make him look less spoonfed and more country bred.... make him look beat up and weather worn and put a few years of wisdom behind him... Mark Wahlberg. This is all visual perception though...not based on acting talent.
Linden Avery... Keeping in mind... not necessarily young and hot but still has class and presence, but can be tough, show maturity, and be attractive at the same time.... Michelle Pfeiffer
Saltheart Foamfollower...damn I wish Andre The Giant was still alive, but I bet Robin Williams could pull it off.
Lord Foul... somebody earlier recommended him as TC, but I think Christopher Walken would make a good Lord Foul.

OH! And here's an odd one..but think about it...

Vain... No dialog, so it'd be all expression... imagine Jack Black in the perfect makeup (shave his head, accentuate his mouth and eyes...and let him run with it). You might think it obsurd, but remember what everybody thought about Michael Keaton as Batman before it was released (now that I think about it... Keaton could make a good Lord Foul too...)

If you read the description of Stave, you will find that Stave is no taller than Linden. There is nothing to suggest that Haruchai were taller or more muscular. I think you are confusing Haruchai with Stonedowners, who WERE stocky and wide.

Haruchai however were not described as stocky or bulky. They probably were very strong, but lean.

Most martial artists are not muscular or bulky because speed is more important than bulging muscles.

Therefore, Haruchai were definitely strong but not bulky. I picture them all like Bruce Lee, whose body was cut, and well defined but not bulky. He had a very agile, quick yet strong body. And that was the Haruchai.
Last edited by Baracka on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

KAY1 wrote:I agree SRD IS Covenant. There is something about his face that just draws you in.
It's been mentioned before that the ideal actor to play Covenant would look a bit like SRD. The only actor I can think of who qualifies, and who would do the role justice, is Thomas Hayden Church (although you have to go back to an earlier image of SRD to see the resemblance, and it's not a spitting image so much as being of a similar type).
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Gotta go with Josh Holloway from LOST.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”