Gilden-fire from Daughter of Regals

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

danlo
Lord

Gilden-fire from Daughter of Regals

Post by danlo »

Must b rubbing off--I loved Gildenfire--but I'm VERY glad it wasn't included in the TIW--I would love 2 c a seperate story created out of it--it could include a series of flashbacks--outlining the origins of the Haruchai. The publications confused me 4 a very long time--I read it a couple of times in Daughters of Regals (which does have a beautiful cover w/the dragon and the girl--just b careful there is an old paperback edition floating around used bookstores w/nothing but a boring looking castle on the cover-that copy does NOT include Gilden Fire) and then people here @ the Watch started talking about the independant version!--must b a VERY small book---In any case I highly recommend that NO ONE who is reading TCTC read Gilden Fire until they have finished all 6 books--BEYOND SPOILER ALERT!!! (If u haven't read Gildenfire DO NOT read futher) 4 me the prob is this (and in retrospect u can even sense there is something missing as Tull begins his tale, in TIW) told from Korik's pov it points towards facts that may negate the possibility that The Land is not real--If included, it would have been the 1st place in the Chrons not looked @ from the pov from some1 from our world--b it TC, LA or HT.
Last edited by danlo on Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I'm really going to need to find that book. I read Daughters of Regals when it first came out (Gilden-Fire was in my copy and I could swear it came out before the year you stated - however, I could be wrong. You probably know better than I do) and I loved Gilden-Fire. But it has been many moons since and I don't really remember any of the story :cry:
The King has one more move.
danlo
Lord

Well u're right Caamora...

Post by danlo »

The Del Rey w/the Girl and the Dragon was published in '85, but there was and old version (the 1 w/the castle, possibly Bantam) that was also running from 84-86 which did not include Gilden-Fire that tends 2 pop-up alot in used bookstores. So my warning was probably overtly cautious--In any case: simply don't purchase the copy w/the funky medievel castle and u'll b ok!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Re: Well u're right Caamora...

Post by Lord Mhoram »

OK, Danlo, the one w/the girl and dragon(Ive seen that one before in the Donaldson section, Ive been there countless times) is the one w/Gilden Fire, or no? I kinda lost, you :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

No need 2 b lost--Caamora and I just sorta swung the conversation from the Lack of a Hero thread 2 here...My 1st post here is a revived post from the old Reed Stephens forum. Suffice 2 say if u want 2 find Gilden-fire pick up any copy of the edition w/the girl and stained glass dragon--and make sure it's in there--it should b...
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

LOL, thanks for clarifying everything, Danlo :o
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Re: Gilden-fire from Daughter of Regals

Post by Fist and Faith »

For what it's worth, here's what I know: I have what danlo calls the independent version. (Small indeed. 48 pages of text. But one of my most prized possessions.) Copyright is 1981.

SRD's Forward (another 4 pages) is wonderful. (Is the Forward in Daughter of Regals? I got that book when it was a new release, and I don't remember Gilden-Fire being in there at all! But my copy is at my father's house at the moment, so I can't be certain.) It's main focus is the concerns that danlo has with the pov. SRD acknowledges the "problem", but eventually decides it is not important. "Since it cannot stand on its own as an independent story, GILDEN-FIRE will surely not be read by anyone unfamiliar with 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.' And those readers know that the question of whether or not the Land is ultimately 'real' (whether or not a character like Korik is sufficiently 'actual' to serve as a narrative view-point) no longer matters. In reality as in dreams, what matters is the answer we find in our hearts to the test of Despite." I think that last sentence is rather extraordinary. As you may have guessed from my signature quote.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That is awesome F&F welcome 2 the Watch!!!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Thanks :D It's great to be here!! A friend and I read TCTC about 21 years ago. I've re-read a couple of times since then, but I haven't had a single person to discuss them with since him!!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Great to see you here, F&F, I'm pretty new to the place too, its a corker of a place to discuss the wonky bloke.

I have DofR as well, but cannot recall the cover (I'm at work atm), but it DID have GF. I read the lot and enjoyed GF, but it was ages ago and can't remember much except for them being in a forest. So it must be just about that time! As soon as I finish with JRRT's Unfinished Tales I'll go back to it.

In DofR I particular liked both Animal Lover (I think that was the name, the one with the game ranch), and also the unicorn one. That was grouse!

The title story, DofR, I could not get into, I battled through it, but wasn't captured at all. Lady in White was a better tale, in my opinion. It seemed to be a little like a Hansel & Gretel offshoot, struck up by SRD and then given flossy edges by Enid Blyton. No, maybe it was none of that, but I liked it, anyway.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
stuartpierce
Servant of the Land

Gildenfire

Post by stuartpierce »

I'm glad Gilden-Fire wasn't included in TIW. Shetra comes across as kind of a *itch. It disturbs my image of unity between the lords.
I did like getting a more detailed look at the Bloodguard, though.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. interesting .. I really want to read Gilden Fire .. its like very difficult to get :(
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I have GF within DoR ... surely DoR is still sold in bookstores? Check Sold.com.au or something like that.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oh yeah Daughter of Regals is readily available .. I have seen a copy in a local 2nd hand bookstore here .. but not the copy that has GF in it ..

.. thats the tricky part :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have a british edition of Gilden-fire. It has the aforementioned foreword and some illustrations. (Revelstone, and some of the bloodguard fighting)

I was particularly intrigued by the foreword stating that the original version of TEW was 916 pages long, and that SRD had to cut 250 pages from it to make it fit for publication. Gilden-fire was one of the parts that were cut.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Just picked up a 2nd-hand copy of DoR with GF within.

Skyweir I tried to PM you it didn't seem to work correctly. Anyway, look forward to a package in the mail soon!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

you are a god!! .. a very gratious god at that!!

let me know what I owe yer .. and I will still remain forever non-plussed and in yer debt!!

I'm gonna be eagerly waiting for the mail guy on my kerb!!

discretion be damned!!!!

I'm out there .. and eager!!!

thanks m' man!! ... am so totally blown away!! 8O :) :wink: :D
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

you are a god!! .. a very gratious god at that!!

let me know what I owe yer .. and I will still remain forever non-plussed and in yer debt!!

I'm gonna be eagerly waiting for the mail guy on my kerb!!

discretion be damned!!!!

I'm out there .. and eager!!!

thanks m' man!! ... am so totally blown away!! 8O :) :wink: :D

<camps down by mail box in anticipation>
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

don't rush until about mid-next-week LOL
Mick Axbrewder
Servant of the Land

Post by Mick Axbrewder »

Gilden-Fire = brilliant. I wish it could have been included. We get SO much information about the Haruchai. It's must reading.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”