The Power That Preserves, Chapter 7: Message to Revelstone

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Furls Fire
Lord

The Power That Preserves, Chapter 7: Message to Revelstone

Post by Furls Fire »

The Power that Preserves, Chapter 7, Message to Revelstone:
Though his jaws ached with protests, Triock gave the orders which sent several of his comrades hurrying to collect supplies for Covenant, Foamfollower, and Lena. In that moment, the giving of those orders seemed to be the hardest thing he had ever done. The restraint which had allowed Covenant to live seven and forty years ago paled by comparison. The exertions which had brought Covenant to the Land now lost their meaning. Lena Atarian-daughter’s desire to accompany the Unbeliever turned all Triock’s long years of devotion to dust and loss, and all his lavish love had been wasted.
Here, in this very first paragraph, the expanse of Triock’s life grief unfurls like a banner. Lena dismisses him and wants to follow Covenant to certain death in Foul’s Creche. Triock, of course could stop her. But he can not refuse her. He loves her, and he knows that she has never felt that way about him. Her love, confused and tormented as it is, belongs to Covenant; the man who had raped her, gave her a child and sent a Ranyhyn to her every spring.

I fell into this chapter mesmerized. Written in the POV of Triock we finally get a glimpse at his suffering, determination, love for Lena, love for the Land, and his struggle with his Oath of Peace. Every part of him wants to kill the Unbeliever, yet he knows that Covenant is probably the Land’s last hope. So, he allows Lena to go with Covenant while he, with Yeurquin and Quirrel, go to find the Unfettered One in the mountains between the south plains and Garroting Deep. It is his hope the Unfettered one will know how to use his lomillialor rod to send a message to High Lord Mhoram in Revelstone. A very important message: Thomas Covenant was back in the Land and on his way to Foul’s Creche.

Their journey is hazardous and on the fourth day from Mithil Stonedown, while in the foothills before Doom’s Retreat they are attacked by kresh. Falling from a snow ledge, Yeurquin and Quirrel are both buried in the snow and Triock faces the first of the kresh alone. He loses his sword in the belly of the leader. So, he wields the lomillialor rod, it bursts into flame and fells the next kresh that attacks, and the next, and the next, and the next. The five remaining encircle him, then without warning a kresh slams into his back and he sees that Quirrel has recovered enough to throw javelins at them. Yeurquin recovers as well and they fell the rest of them. They move on, even though Yeurquin is wounded.

On the second day from their battle with the kresh they come to the Southron Wastes, where they see a great storm raging. With grim determination Triock leads his companions out onto the Wastes and into the core of the storm. They are also being pursued, for now Triock is known to the hordes of Lord Foul and they follow his lomillialor. Quirrel suggests that they must separate, to confuse their trail, Triock refuses, knowing that their pursuers follow the High Wood. The blizzard rages around them. In the fray, Triock and Quirrel lose Yeurquin. They search in the blinding wind and snow but cannot find him. Triock begins to despair, wandering aimlessly with Quirrel clinging to his cloak. At last he falls to his knees and Quirrel hits at the ice that has formed around his ears. She shouts to him that they are near the foothills of the mountains, and must find shelter.

He and Quirrel collapse in the snow in a valley protected by a cliff face. As he begins to lose consciousness he sees a Wraith come toward them. Then more come, dance around him and Quirrel, one of the Wraiths try to revive Quirrel, but fails, flaring brightly it moves away and the others follow. The Unfettered One comes then with more Wraiths, and placing his palm against Triock’s chest he strengthens him enough to regain his feet. Triock watches the Wraiths as the Unfettered One helps Quirrel regain consciousness. He and the Wraiths lead them to his cave. He offers them food and warmth, and they talk of the ill on the Land. Quirrel returns to the mouth of the ravine which hides the Unfettered One’s cave, to stand guard. Triock then begins to beseech the Unfettered One’s aid in the sending of the message to Revelstone. He is reluctant, cares nothing about what goes on outside his cave. Yet, Triock’s need and the need of the Land compels him and he finally agrees. Triock hands over the High Wood to the Unfettered One and he begins to seek out Mhoram through its power. As he is reaching for the High Lord, Yeurquin enters the cave, carrying Quirrel dead in his arms. The Unfettered One drops the High Wood, the Wraiths flee screaming, Triock gapes, stunned:
Yeurquin laughed with a ragged, nauseating sound. In gleeful savagery, he dropped Quirrel to the floor and stepped past her. "We meet at last," he rasped to Triock. "I have labored for this encounter. I think I will make you pay for that labor."

"Yeurquin?" Staggering where he stood, Triock could see that the man should have been dead; the storm damage he had suffered was too great for anyone to survive. But some force animated him, some ferocity that relished his death kept him moving. He was an incarnated nightmare.

The next moment, the Unfettered One mastered his shock, rushed forward. Wielding the lomillialor before him like a weapon, he cried hoarsely, "Turiya Raver! Tree foe! I know you--I have seen you. Melenkurion abatha! Leave this place. Your touch desecrates the very Earth."

Yeurquin winced under the flick of the potent words. But they did not daunt him. "Better dead feet like mine than idiocy like yours," he smirked. "I think I will not leave this place until I have tasted your blood, Unfettered wastrel. You are so quick to give your life to nothing. Now you will give it to me."

The One did not flinch. "I will give you nothing but the lomillialor test of truth. Even you have cause to fear that, turiya Raver. The High Wood will burn you to the core."

"Fool!" the Raver laughed. "You have lived here so long that you have forgotten the meaning of power!"

Fearlessly, he started toward the two men.

With a sharp cry, Triock threw off his stunned dismay. Sweeping his sword from its scabbard, he sprang at the Raver.

Yeurquin knocked him effortlessly aside, sent him careening to smack his head against the wall. Then turiya closed with the Unfettered One.

Pain slammed through Triock, flooded his mind with blood. Gelid agony shrieked in his chest where the Raver had struck him. But for one moment, he resisted unconsciousness, lurched to his feet. In torment, he saw turiya and the Unfettered One fighting back and forth, both grasping the High Wood. Then the Raver howled triumphantly. Bolts of sick, red-green power shot up through the Unfettered One's arms and shattered his chest.

When Triock plunged into darkness, the Raver had already started to dismember his victim.
And so the Unfettered One meets his end and the message to Revelstone fails…
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wow!! Just jump right in at the last minute and blow us away, why dontcha?! :) Excellent job!!

Yeah, that first paragraph is brutal!!!

And another amazing line from Foamfollower:
"Ah, my friend, I know nothing of mercy. My own need for it is too great."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I wanted to quote the whole darn chapter...it's one of the best in TPTP :)

Hope it's okay to break both chapters up into two different threads...I probably won't get chapter 8 up for another couple days...

I love doing this!! :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And we love having you do it!! :) Nice to see someone so new to the Watch willing to take a chapter! And I know what you mean about wanting to quote the whole chapter! :)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I wanted to quote this, so I think I will do it now...

The words of the Unfettered One:
..."Stone is alive. Do you see it? You are Stonedownor--do you see it? Yes, alive--alive and alert. Attentive. Everything--everything which transpires upon or within the Earth is seen--beheld--by the Earthrock.

(snip)

"But the--the process--the action of this seeing is slow. Lives like mine are futilely swift--Time---time!--is consumed as the seeing spreads--from the outer surfaces inward. And this time varies. Some veins pass their perception in to the mountain roots in millennia. Others require millennia of millennia.

"Here...can be seen the entire ancient history of the Land. For one whose work is to see. In these myriad facets are the myriad perceptions of all that has occurred. All!

"It is my work to see--and to discover the order--and to preserve--so that the whole life of the Land may be known.

"Since the coming of the Wraiths, I have studied the fate of the One Forest. I have seen it since the first seed grew to become the great Tree. I have seen its awakening--its awareness--the peaceful communion of its Land-spanning conciousness. I have seen Forestals born and slain. I have seen the Colossus of the Fall exercise its interdict. The hand of the Forest is upon me. Here."

"I see men with axes--men of the ground with blades formed from the bones of the ground--I see them cut!"

"I am Woodhelvinnin. In this rock I see the desecration of trees. You are Stonedownor. You bear a rare fragment of the High Wood, precious lomillialor."

"Give it to me! ... It will help me see.... My life is not the equal of this rock."
I found this to be very powerful. I left out the descriptive phrases in between the spoken words. I can just hear the misery and desperation in the Unfettered One's voice. He felt himself unequal to the Earth.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

*sigh* Extraordinary stuff!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8O **speechless!** :faint: (WOW!)
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:oops:
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

He recognized the flames now; he had heard of them in some of the happiest and saddest legends of the Land. They were Wraiths. As he shook his head clear of ice, he heard through the gusting wind snatches of their light crystal song, music like the melody of perfect quartz. They danced about him as if they were asking him questions which he would never be able to understand or answer, and their lights bemused him, so that he stood entranced among them.
Lone
Unfriended
Bondless
Lone -
Drink of loss until 'tis done:
'Til solitude has come and gone,
And silence is communion -
And yet
Unfriended
Bondless
Lone.
-------------------

~Foamy~
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

i LOVE the rites of unfettering! they r ! of the kewlest songs in all the chrons!

excellent job furls. trully excellent.

sum sui generis
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thank you variol-son :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Yes , great job Furl. And a great chapter. The greatest and the saddest part is when the Unfettered, kind of hard on Triock don't wanting to help him at all first, then realising he needs the lomillialor to understand more and faster, gets it , cools down, getting more kind towards Triock, wants to help and starts to contact Revelstone and everything is destroyed by the raver. It's surprising shocking and so sad.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Here in these chapters SDR is creating a mood of doom. An atmosphere of desperation that though it is difficult to witness these hardships befalling characters that we enjoy, we know that the depths to which they fall only punctuate the glory of Covenants ultimate victory. Terrific job Furl, your examination was very entertaining.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thanks clear :)

and your right, doom and grief... :(
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I am very impressed with what a fine job the late, great Furls Fire, less than two weeks after joining the Watch, did in summing up the important points of what is perhaps TPTP's most pessimistic and creepy chapter (turiya certainly is a sadistic entity, isn't he?).

Before I complete my own dissection of a TLD chapter, I wanted to see some more examples of how other dissections had been done. And I came across this thread, and continue to be in awe of Furls and how good she was at paring things down to the essential details. Good choices on quoted material, too. They covered the most important moments of this chapter.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Until her passing, the unspoken rule was that Furlsy would dissect the last chapter of each book (along with a few others thrown in for good measure.) Check those out, along with "Coercri" from TWL.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I enjoyed the dissection that Furls did for "Coercri" very much, dlbpharmd, as she did a detailed dissection for a powerfully euphoric chapter. It was instructive to see the contrast in her editing choices between that chapter and this one. "Message To Revelstone" is one long regretful slog through winter with the main action happening at the end, so it was better summarized with fewer words than would be the case for a chapter like "Coercri", which merits a lot of summary detail going all through the chapter to capture the spirit of the Giants. I found this quite helpful!

Return to “1st Chronicles”