Smashing Pumpkins

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Hellfire
Giantfriend

Smashing Pumpkins

Post by Hellfire »

I know we got some fans in the house. Lord Mhorom and Brinn for sure. :D The infatuation started for me when I saw them at Lollapalooza in 96. I never heard much of them before that but Billy Corgan made me cry with his speech at that concert(though I can't remember what he said :wink: ). When the concert was over the driver of the van I came in had lost his keys and the security people had us waiting at he front of the stage while everyone cleaned up and looked for them. The whole band was just a few feet away from me- casually putting thier instruments away. Darcy was the closest- she was only about 3 ft away putting up her guitar. But I could not think of anything to say!!!!!!!! AAAAaggghhhh Damned lost opportunities :x I will never forget it and I became devoted ever since.

Some of my faves are "Rocket" and "Through the eyes of Ruby"
"Rocket" reminds me of the those careless days in my teenage years when I used to just be able to take off and go wherever I wanted when I wanted. Newly found freedom back then :roll:
And Ruby was made for the dying breed of hopeless romantics in the world. 8)

There's no way I could pick a favourite album- but I listen to Pisces Iscariot all the way through without skipping any songs more than any other I think.
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Nice to see another fan out there!

My favorite albums are Adore and Melancollie and the Infinite Sadness.

Favorite songs....

Perfect, Galapagos, Porcelina, Appels and Oranjes, Rhinoceros, Siva and many, many more. Great Band! So sorry that they broke up :cry:
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Post by Guest »

I was sooooo into SP back in the mid 90s. :)

Fave CDs: Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie
Fave Songs: Today, Disarm, Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings, Zero, 1979, Thirty-three, & The End is the Beginning is The End
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

OMG! 8O I love the Pumpkins! I have Mellon Collie, Earphoria (their live CD), Rotten Apples (the Greatest Hits), Pisces Iscariot, Gish and The Aeroplane Flies High!! Pumpkins rock now and forever!

I love 1979 (of course), Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Zero, Today (my fav), Cherub Rock, Disarm, Set the Ray to Jerry, and many many more!

Do any of you SP fans like Zwan, Corgan's new band? I have their album, it's pretty good. Much more uplifiting than the Pumpkins!
Last edited by Lord Mhoram on Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

1979 is prob the only title I kno, but I jam out whenever I hear a SP song on the radio!
fall far and well Pilots!
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Zwan is okay :? ..... It seems to me like Billy is too tense on the album. Like he's really trying too hard. I think if he can relax and stop trying prove something with the numbers then the next Zwan album will be alot better.

I love the Aeroplane Flies High too. The whole Tonight Tonight cd makes me so sad everytime I here it. And that Clones song is one of my faves to turn all the way up while soring down the interstate :twisted:

"The end is the begining....." is a great one to. I got the single for it and there are like five awsome techno remixes.

Eye off of the Lost Highway Soundtrack is great. And there is Drown off the Singles soundtrack. Seems like anything the put into a soundtrack is very unique and extrordinary :D There was also this album called "No Alternitive" with various artist and they had a song on there but I can't remember what is was :?: Any one heard of it? I think it came out in the mid 90's if that narrows it down at all.
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Count me in as another Smashing Pumpkins fan. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yeah, the Singles soundtrack is awesome. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Pumpkins. Good stuff. Drown and Eye are both on Greatest Hits. Good stuff :)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm another SP fan. I have Adore, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Rotten Apples, and Siamese Dream.
All the albums seem to have some very good stuff, and some not-so-good stuff.
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Hah! :o (winy voice)"But I thought EVERYTHING the Pumpkins touched was golden." Until we get up to Ava Adore. Then some of it's debatable I guess :? ;)

I found the song off the "No Alternative" album. It is called Glynis and it is very sweet!!!! Other rare tracks I found on Kazaa- My Dahlia, Daughter, Sad Peter Pan, Jackie Blue and The Beginning is The End is The Beginning
If you guys like Depeche Mode there is a cover of Never Let Me Down Again as well on the cover album called Music from the Masses

ok I'll shut up now and be a good girl(logs off, shuts door and puts on headphones)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

not 2 b confused w/the Bowie song Never Let Me Down, right? I love Bowie!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I love Adore and enjoyed Machina as well. There are not a lot of Pumpkins tunes that I can honestly say I don't like. The End is the Beginning is the End (or is it the Beginning is the End is the Beginning, either way it's the faster more rockin' tune of the two) is a spectacular song and another one that I just thought of that I love is Glass and the Ghost Children!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Former Pumpkins producer Flood worked with Irish indie three-piece JJ72 on their second album and succeeded in making them sound like SP Jr. The album isn't at all bad but, obviously, it's been done before.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Adore actually sold over a million copies...8O Like Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, and Aeroplane Flies High, and Pisces Iscariot.
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Favorite Pumpkins lyrics from Rocket
Bleed in your own light
Dream of your own life
I miss me
I miss everything I'll never be
And on, and on

I torch my soul to show
The world that I am pure
Deep inside my heart
No more lies

A crown of horns
An image formed deformed
The mark I've borne
A mark of scorn to you

Consume my love, devour my hate
Only powers my escape
The moon is out the, stars invite
I think i'll leave tonight

So soon I'll find myself alone
To relax and fade away
Do you know what's coming down
Do you know I couldn't stay free?

I shall be free
I shall be free
I shall be free
I shall be free
I shall be free free
Free of those voices inside me

I got hung up on Mellon Collie as well but this thread has inspired me to give Machina another chance. :)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Another great song off Siamese Dream, one of the 90s' best albums :) Soma.
So now I'm all by myself
As I've always felt
I'll betray my tears
To anyone caught in our ruse of fools

One last kiss for me
One last kiss good night

Didn't want to lose you once again
Didn't want to be your friend
Fulfilled a promise made of tin
And crawled back to you

I'm all by myself
As I've always felt
I'll betray myself
To anyone, lost, anyone but you

So let the sadness come again
On that you can depend on me
Until the bitter bitter end of the world
When god sleeps in bliss
Such a great song.
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

I watched this movie called "Spun" awhile ago and not only did Billy Corgan do the music but he had a bit part. 8O :D He was badly disguised as a doctor!!!!! I think the nurse with him was that Melissa chick bassist too but I'm not sure. It's a wierd movie but was definately worth sitting through for a glimpse at Billy being silly.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Oh yeah, the chick from Hole.

Never heard of Spun...:? What's it about?
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Umm...... I was afraid someone was gonna ask that because it is one of those movies you're almost afraid to admit that you like because it is just so out there but here it goes. It's all about these druggies that go on a three day runner and it is kinda phycadelic flik (like Trainspotting if you ever saw that). Billy Corgin did all the music for this. Can't imagine why he wanted to be involved in such a film :roll: :wink: I couldn't find any links that just described his role in it but I found a decent general description.

www.moviecrazed.com/critics/spun.html
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Fellow Pumpkins fans,

Really good newss: New Billy Corgan album due out June 21
and: New Pumpkins rarities and b-sides set due out on April 5th!!!

What great news. Check out the tracklisting for the Pumpkins release: tons of songs I've never heard.

Return to “Vespers”