What does your chosen name here mean?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

When I was 17, I got an idea for a fantasy trilogy. I chose "Malik" as the name for my main character. It just popped into my head, and sounded like a cool fantasy name. Then I later learned that it is an Arabic name that means roughly, "master." I thought this was even cooler, a fortuitous accident that people might later think was intentional (if they ever read my books).

Then, many years later, I started reading some Robert Anton Wilson (if you've never read anything of his, you're missing a psychedelic treat). In his writings, I found synchonicities in both theme and events that were astonishing--the relations to my own life were almost spooky. For instance, the "23" enigma. This is a bit complicated, but I'll give one example: July 23rd is supposed to be a day of "occult" or astrological significance to the ancient Egyptians. I learned about this for the first time by reading Wilson's book "Cosmic Trigger," which I just happened to pick up on July 23rd.

In addition, I learned that the main character in his "Illuminatus" trilogy was Joseph Malik.

I'm not one to believe in the supernatural, but I DO think that "natural" encompasses a lot more than we usually assume is natural. Suffice it to say that I've had many experiences that would freak out most people, experiences much like what Wilson describes in his books. Hence, I have a certain affinity for this writer, a kind of kinship of the mind. So, I have adopted Malik23 as my online name for many years, both to commemorate the semi-autobiographical nature of my main character and to acknowledge the synchronicities that have occurred in my quest for illumination.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

I'm tingling all over! :o very nice Malik.... 8)
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Digital Thought wrote:Digital Thought. Well, analog thought would be what we had before. There were perhaps rounder notes, but the ideas were full of jagged edges, blooms, and mysterious cloudy blurs. Now with the new Digital Thought, nothing can go wrong. Would you like to hear a song? "Daisy... Daisy..."
HAL? Is that you? 8O
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Malik23 wrote:Then, many years later, I started reading some Robert Anton Wilson (if you've never read anything of his, you're missing a psychedelic treat). In his writings, I found synchonicities in both theme and events that were astonishing--the relations to my own life were almost spooky. For instance, the "23" enigma. This is a bit complicated, but I'll give one example: July 23rd is supposed to be a day of "occult" or astrological significance to the ancient Egyptians. I learned about this for the first time by reading Wilson's book "Cosmic Trigger," which I just happened to pick up on July 23rd. .
I'm also into synchronity. I find it fascinating. Anyway, what an interesting read, Malik23!.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Loremaster wrote:I'm also into synchronity. I find it fascinating. Anyway, what an interesting read, Malik23!.
Hey, I was just thinking about synchronicity, too. :wink:
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

I was just thinking about Zenyatta Mondatta! :P
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

My board name of course comes from the First Chronicles (TIW). Dukkha's Illearth suffering catalyzes the Lords' summoning of Covenant back to The Land. Dukkha is also one of the core concepts in Buddhism, simplistically defined as the suffering of the (mortal) human condition.

I'm no Buddhist, and that's a lot of baggage for a name, I know, but I picked it because it exemplifies why the Chronicles are my unquestioned-favorite books of all time.
Donaldson made me care deeply about the plight of The Land, mirroring Covenant's internal struggle. Covenant's wild arc (heh) through the First Chronicles would cause normal people like me to either lay down in defeat or go a-Kevin-ing and (intentionally or not) wipe out all that which we hold dear. Dukkha Waynhim was not a major character in the story, but set everything in motion to unwind the story in front of us, sometimes horrifically, sometimes sadly, sometimes angrily, but always engagingly.

OK, I've hit my adverb quota for the day.

Combine the name with a greate Edgetar, and VOILA! one Illearth Dude is spawned.

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I always wanted to have the ability to break fundamental laws of nature..... ;)
Actually, when I first came to KW, Bannor was already taken - my favorite character in the chrons.
"You're afraid of yourself."
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

I had THE same problem! (haha, get it? :lol: )

The Bannor.... 8)

(still waiting to hear from the law around here about the "The" thing, btw.... :roll: )

very inspiring Dukkha.... :thumbsup:
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

My name derives from German mythology...the Lorelei is a siren-like creature who sits on the cliffs of the Rhine river and sings sailors to their doom.

My given name was almost Lorelei, until my mother decided to split it up into Lori and Lee to kind of name me after my father's mother Leila.

I love to sing and I have dated a sailor or two (yes they are still alive).. ;)
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

very nice! Lori Lee = Lorelei 8)

ever hear of Styx? :roll:
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

very nice! Lori Lee = Lorelei

ever hear of Styx?
Yeah Mom was a clever one...

I am familiar with Styx, more their hits than the entire catalogue....
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Lorelei - Styx

When I think of Lorelei my head turns all around
As gentle as a butterfly she moves without a sound
I call her on the telephone, she says be there by eight
Tonight’s the night she’s moving in and I can hardly wait

The way she moves, ooh-ooh
I gotta say
Lorelei let’s live together
Brighter than the stars forever

Her eyes become of paradise, she softly speaks my name
She brightens every lonely night, no one’s quite the same
She calls me on the telephone, she says be there by eight
Tonight’s the night she’s moving in, it’s time to celebrate

The way she moves, ooh-ooh
I gotta say
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

I didn't know Styx wrote a song about me!!
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

it's actually quite a catchy tune, too! 8) one you can drive to at 65 mph! :o
Empusae
Servant of the Land

Post by Empusae »

A short but funny story to go with my name here.

Years ago I was playing on a mud and someone told me I had to change my name from Elohim. Unknown to me it is a name for god.

So I cast about and found an old book on greek myths that I had gotten in my early school years.

I flipped to the letter of my first name and found Empusae: A demon minion of Hecate.

Sounded cool so I used it for years untill someone asked me the same question this thread does. . . so I looked around online for a definition of the word.

And found I had been calling myself a Female half llama succubi for years. :)

PS I am a guy.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

It is a great name, Empusae!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

Ok, this will bore you all. NightBlaze. I am a night person. I dont like to get up early...yada yada.
As a kid, well, I set a lot of "small fires" at the beach. Hence the name NightBlaze." Ok, maybe not so small of fires. I had a reputation to uphold. :)
¥ NightBlaze ¥
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Empusae wrote:And found I had been calling myself a Female half llama succubi for years. :)

PS I am a guy.
There's a topic around where you can get your name changed to Male Half-llama Incubi. Just so you know.
Empusae
Servant of the Land

Post by Empusae »

lol

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”