Just Finished Up the Gap Cycle! - Simply Spectacular!!!

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Motherlode
Servant of the Land

Just Finished Up the Gap Cycle! - Simply Spectacular!!!

Post by Motherlode »

What a terrific story, I don't think there's one page I wasn't hooked to. Like many others I had such difficult times putting this book down at night - and even after I was able to part with it, my thoughts would always seem to sway towards the books and what was about to happen next.

I just have one question, whatever happened to that message sent from Succorso to Lebwhol in C&O? Something about "If you want her she's yours, kazes are such fun aren't they?"

Maybe I missed it, I doubt it, but I don't think this was ever elaborated on.

If somebody might explain this message to me in further detail I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Excellent post, Motherlode. Completely agree with your feelings. And welcome to the watch.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Hail! Welcome to the Watch! :D

Yeah, the Gap books are amazing, aren't they? :D
Hashi thought about it book four. Also he shared his thoughts with Warden when Warden returned from UMCHO, after he had recieved his orders from Holt to hand over Angus' codes to Nick.
Motherlode
Servant of the Land

Post by Motherlode »

Thanks for the welcoming words guys!

Yeah I just think I missed the whole point of this message sent by Nick. Hashi put so much thought into trying to figure out what he meant - but I don't think we were ever given an explaination as to how or why Nick brought up 'kazes' - nor was the identity of the "she" in the message revealed either.

Again if I've missed something I'm sorry.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Motherlode wrote:Thanks for the welcoming words guys!

Yeah I just think I missed the whole point of this message sent by Nick. Hashi put so much thought into trying to figure out what he meant - but I don't think we were ever given an explaination as to how or why Nick brought up 'kazes' - nor was the identity of the "she" in the message revealed either.

Again if I've missed something I'm sorry.
Don't be sorry. :)

Nah; I think the only reason Nick stated "Kazes are such fun, don't you think?" was too get to Hashi - make Hashi take some action to help Nick. Because remember, Nick was in a screwed up position at the time.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think the 'she' was referring to Morn. The 'kaze' bit, I remember something about Nick either saying it on a hunch, or just doing it to make them a little nervous (I don't think he was entirely stable at that point, either) - it was an incredible coincidence, though, so it made them a little wary of him, which I guess was the real point of having him say it.

Welcome to the Watch.
wayfriend

Re: Just Finished Up the Gap Cycle! - Simply Spectacular!!!

Post by wayfriend »

Motherlode wrote:I just have one question, whatever happened to that message sent from Succorso to Lebwhol in C&O? Something about "If you want her she's yours, kazes are such fun aren't they?"

The message made it to Hashi's desk, where it caused him quite a bit of consternation. It was ambiguous, and he jumped to some incorrect conclusions, mostly because he wondered how Nick would know about the kaze attacks in the Council. So he ended up sending new orders to Free Lunch, basically "kill them", which he later had to admit to Dios with some chagrin.

Welcome to the Watch, ML.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Fair point; we were never given a definite explanation for that message. But I think the theories offered so far are probably right - Nick was just being Nick, chucking the cat among the pigeons to try and swing matters in his favour. The fact that there were actually kazes around seems to have been a coincidence.

On the other hand, I did get a faint impression that it might have been a loose end, like the bloke in the pipe in Final Fantasy 7. That SRD originally intended it to mean something, but took that bit out, and the editor overlooked it. I don't favour this explanation, but it's possible.
Angus Thermopyle
Servant of the Land

Post by Angus Thermopyle »

Yeah, the message is kinda vague. I agree with the above theories in that Nick was just trying to get a rise out of Hashi.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

what bloke in the pipe in final fantasy 7?
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

In Midgar, near Aeris' house. There's a bloke in a pipe with a numerical tattoo. He doesn't serve any purpose, but he was meant to originally.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

CovenantJr wrote:Fair point; we were never given a definite explanation for that message. But I think the theories offered so far are probably right - Nick was just being Nick, chucking the cat among the pigeons to try and swing matters in his favour. The fact that there were actually kazes around seems to have been a coincidence.

On the other hand, I did get a faint impression that it might have been a loose end, like the bloke in the pipe in Final Fantasy 7. That SRD originally intended it to mean something, but took that bit out, and the editor overlooked it. I don't favour this explanation, but it's possible.
I think it could be argued that the kazes exploding in UMCP and GCES nearly set things against him, since Hashi spent some time thinking about those. After all, it really just distracted him from the intended meaning about Morn, the thing that Nick clearly intended to imply with the message.

Or alternatively, nearly worked for him, since the message itself worked too well; Nick got a fairly well armed mercenary on his trail, instead of help. Of course, by the time they dealt with Free Lunch, Nick was in no state to particularly care what occurred :) But honestly, I don't see how Nick could've figured that the message would work in his benefit, unless he was just hoping to draw the UMCP in to make things more unpredictable. But, as people have mentioned, he probably wasn't very clearheaded at that time.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

CovenantJr wrote:In Midgar, near Aeris' house. There's a bloke in a pipe with a numerical tattoo. He doesn't serve any purpose, but he was meant to originally.
I think it was implied that he was
Spoiler
one of the Sephiroth clones who went to the Reunion. In fact... didn't they mention it when you return there a bit later that he'd suddenly left?

Anyway, more to the point, I've finally finished the series. Even though it's now well past sunrise. But, really, wow. Certainly equal to the Covenant books, which I didn't think could be surpassed. One day I'll get round to a re-read - because I'm pretty sure there's plenty that'll mean much more when I read it again; as it was I kept having to flick back several chapters to pick up on a half-remembered reference. Chaos And Order I think was my favourite of the five, though.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The Somberlain wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:In Midgar, near Aeris' house. There's a bloke in a pipe with a numerical tattoo. He doesn't serve any purpose, but he was meant to originally.
I think it was implied that he was
Spoiler
one of the Sephiroth clones who went to the Reunion. In fact... didn't they mention it when you return there a bit later that he'd suddenly left?
He was indeed, but it's fairly well known (at least I thought it was) that he was meant to serve a much more important purpose originally, but when the path of the game was changed, he became a bit of a dead end.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

Oh. I didn't know that :oops:

Is it equally well known what the purpose was? Or just that whatever it was, was abandoned.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I don't remember off hand. Squaresoft alternately confirm and deny all this, so you probably won't get much joy from official websites if you try to look it up.

It's all to do with
Spoiler
Aeris' resurrection. Again, Square currently deny that they ever planned such a thing, but Aeris frequently talks about returning (and Tifa mentions it at one point, saying something along the lines of "I think she always intended to come back"), and the bloke in the pipe is apparently connected with that somehow. His purpose was to be revealed upon returning to Midgar with the resurrected Aeris in tow.
Dirty Whirl
Woodhelvennin

Post by Dirty Whirl »

I think nicks message was to get hashi to think that the amnion had made morn into a genetic kaze. Its because of the genetic kaze theory that hashi sends free lunch to kill trumpet.
She looked like a crowned vestal, somehow both powerful and fragile, as if she could shatter his bones with a glance and yet would fall from her seat at the touch of a single hurled handful of mud. She daunted him.
- TIW

Return to “The Gap Series”