Revenge

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Motherlode
Servant of the Land

Revenge

Post by Motherlode »

Not to bring the series down at all - but there was a little part of me that kinda wished to see Angus achieve his revenge on Milos.

Same can be said for my feelings towards Nick. Although I really came to hate who Nick was, I couldn't help but cheer him on in his final moments as he faced off against Sorus.

I don't think it did any harm to the story, just would've liked to hear how Angus would've ripped Milos apart, and what Nick wanted to do to Sorus.

What I appreciate more than anything though is the fact that Although you come to hate certain characters (or at least I did) you still want them to achieve some amount of revenge for the wrong done to them.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Re: Revenge

Post by Revan »

Motherlode wrote:Not to bring the series down at all - but there was a little part of me that kinda wished to see Angus achieve his revenge on Milos.

Same can be said for my feelings towards Nick. Although I really came to hate who Nick was, I couldn't help but cheer him on in his final moments as he faced off against Sorus.

I don't think it did any harm to the story, just would've liked to hear how Angus would've ripped Milos apart, and what Nick wanted to do to Sorus.

What I appreciate more than anything though is the fact that Although you come to hate certain characters (or at least I did) you still want them to achieve some amount of revenge for the wrong done to them.
Motherlode, you belong in my club!

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1161

:lol:

I always wished Angus could get to tear Milos' head off... alas, it wasn't to be...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You see, that's what killed Nick. That's what destroyed him. He couldn't let his grudges go. He blindly, obsessively went after his revenge, no matter the cost - his ego demanded it. Angus would have set aside his animosity with Milos to help Morn. That's why he gets to live at the end - he manages, though through unusual processes, to learn in some ways when things are worth doing. (At the end of book 5 he is, of course, only beginning his journey toward the possibility of being a better person, but he's been shown the path, and that matters.)
Motherlode
Servant of the Land

Post by Motherlode »

Excellent point Murrin!

:biggrin:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Murrin wrote:You see, that's what killed Nick. That's what destroyed him. He couldn't let his grudges go. He blindly, obsessively went after his revenge, no matter the cost - his ego demanded it. Angus would have set aside his animosity with Milos to help Morn. That's why he gets to live at the end - he manages, though through unusual processes, to learn in some ways when things are worth doing. (At the end of book 5 he is, of course, only beginning his journey toward the possibility of being a better person, but he's been shown the path, and that matters.)
Indeed, excellent post. :D
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Motherlode wrote: I couldn't help but cheer him on in his final moments as he faced off against Sorus.

My feelings exactly! But I was gutted when Nick died (mainly because he became like a total lust object for me... :twisted: )

I also would like to have known what Angus did to Holt... :twisted: but then I am a sick, twisted gal!
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Milos was better as an Amnion.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Elfgirl wrote:
Motherlode wrote: I couldn't help but cheer him on in his final moments as he faced off against Sorus.

My feelings exactly! But I was gutted when Nick died (mainly because he became like a total lust object for me... :twisted: )

I also would like to have known what Angus did to Holt... :twisted: but then I am a sick, twisted gal!
I think Angus would have just killed him-- Angus' most sadistic killings are in the past.

Though his loyalty to Warden might to be carry Warden's request to the letter... "Rip his heart out..."
Peven
Giantfriend

Post by Peven »

Elfgirl wrote:

see, thats an example of how the perspective of the reader colors how each person reacts to what happens in a book, because i relished Nick being taken down, one of my favorite parts of the series.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Revenge?
I don't know, if too many people got their revenge, it would have taken away from the main themes of the story in my oppinion.

And not to get on my Angus soapbox...but if he would have been able to get his revenge on Milos; should Marc have been able to get his revenge on Angus..or Morn...or all those miners..or his last crew...or...[insert person or persons whose lives were ruined by Angus here]
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The series is not about revenge; it's about redemption. That's why Nick failed as he simply didn't change himself to be better. If angus had gone for revenge on Milos he would have destroyed, or delayed, his path for redemption.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Loremaster wrote:The series is not about revenge; it's about redemption. That's why Nick failed as he simply didn't change himself to be better. If angus had gone for revenge on Milos he would have destroyed, or delayed, his path for redemption.
:goodpost:
Spoiler
And Milos got what he deserved in the end anyway. :twisted:

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I wanted Angus to get revenge on Milos, but I didn't cheer Nick on against Soar for two reasons - first of all because Sorus inspired a sympathy in me that Milos never did, and secondly because I always hated Nick.

I loved it when Sorus killed him, although I loved it even more when she killed Milos. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

I seem to be the only sicko who absolutely adored Nick...but then, I am ga-ga over Sawyer in "Lost" - can you see a self-destructive pattern emerging here? ;)

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the non-redeemable... :twisted:
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I thought Nick was a great charater - maybe my favourite. But his behaviour in book four was disgusting.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Well, if revenge was what the story was about--then Angus would never have been freed from his prority codes.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I hated Nick, and it wasn't until he died that I realised I also liked him. Not that I'd want to be his friend or anything, but he certainly had magnetic qualities. I have a certain admiration for those who, through determination and edge-of-lunacy resourcefulness, achieve the near impossible.

Though I did hate Nick at the time, I did want him to get his revenge on Sorus; he earned it. I wouldn't change the story, since that simply wouldn't work, but it's still something the emotional side of me would have found satisfying. And Nick's death came as a big shock to me. As I've said to Loremaster before, Nick and Angus both seemed like they'd be the last creatures left alive at the end of the universe. When all else is dead or ruined, the final movements in the dying moments of time would be Angus and Nick throwing punches at each other. I really didn't expect Nick to die.

Speaking of Milos...the moment when Angus meets him in the Amnion quarter, and Milos speaks Angus' codes...then the codes are replaced... That was almost a "Nom" level of "Oh YES!" :twisted:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Nick was one of the best bad guys ever written. He fully deserved what he got, and I actually laughed out loud when he got it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Q

Post by lucimay »

Murrin wrote:You see, that's what killed Nick. That's what destroyed him. He couldn't let his grudges go. He blindly, obsessively went after his revenge, no matter the cost - his ego demanded it. Angus would have set aside his animosity with Milos to help Morn. That's why he gets to live at the end - he manages, though through unusual processes, to learn in some ways when things are worth doing. (At the end of book 5 he is, of course, only beginning his journey toward the possibility of being a better person, but he's been shown the path, and that matters.)
right on. Murrin you rule for most succinct post on The Angus Question!!!
if i had some WGD's i'd by god give you some!! :biggrin:

and drew man...stop disqualifying Angus' acts by qualifying somebody else's. everybody in the books earns what they get and gets what they earned.
(the usual disclaimer applies: not carved in granite, my opinion only)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Cail wrote:Nick was one of the best bad guys ever written. He fully deserved what he got, and I actually laughed out loud when he got it.
yeah, well, I cried. I agree with Cjr - I thought there might have been some more visceral showdown between Nick and Angus in the ol' Wild West kinda way. I was gutted when Nick was just cut down so quickly! And by the dang b!tch he'd wasted his life trying to get revenge on. I didn't think it was fair, but then, I didn't write the book.
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Return to “The Gap Series”