TC Fan Fic Contest

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

TC Fan Fic Contest

Post by iQuestor »

I propose a Amateur Fan Fic contest with the following guidelines:

1. Length beween 3000 and 11000 words.
2. Written in any style, or POV from the Land, good or evil.
3. <b>Must</b> recount a reported or referenced event from the series,
but that was <b> not </b> directly written about :
<i>examples: </i>
- An account of the bloodguards who took the Illearth fragment to confront corruption.
- An account of the ritual of desecration uttered by kevin and Foul
- Drool's finding of the Staff of Law

4. Entries posted, dissected, and judged by pre-chosen members.

what do you guys think?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think rule number three eliminates a lot of imaginative choices. You pretty much can't create a new story.

I would enter, but I probably would not meet the deadline. I have a good one in my head, though. Maybe this would be incentive.

What would I win? ;)
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Wayfriend wrote:I think rule number three eliminates a lot of imaginative choices. You pretty much can't create a new story.

I would enter, but I probably would not meet the deadline. I have a good one in my head, though. Maybe this would be incentive.

What would I win? ;)
My intention is to 'fill in' areas where the story touches, but does not elaborate.

Prize: I'd say a new copy of FR when it comes out?
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Hm, yeah, a fan fic contest could be fun. I've been trying to get people to send in fan fic for a while now to Kevin's Watch, but with no real luck.

I'd be happy to help promote something like this on the Watch's main page, maybe make it more "official". And I'd be glad to supply/pay for the prize, whatever it may be.-jay
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Re: TC Fan Fic Contest

Post by matrixman »

iquestor wrote:
Well, after the whole debacle with the KW Anthology, in terms of hurt feelings from those whose submissions weren't selected, I think this whole business is on dangerous ice. Don't say I haven't warned you, in case this contest generates further ill feelings on the Watch.

Now I heed the words of a favorite artist of mine:

"Contests are for horses." -- Glenn Gould
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Re: TC Fan Fic Contest

Post by iQuestor »

Matrixman wrote:
iquestor wrote:
Well, after the whole debacle with the KW Anthology, in terms of hurt feelings from those whose submissions weren't selected, I think this whole business is on dangerous ice. Don't say I haven't warned you, in case this contest generates further ill feelings on the Watch.

What was the debacle with the KW Anthology?

At any rate, my suggestion is to:

1. Choose judges, who could be anyone on the site familiar with the Chronicles and have the desire to read and judge entries. They would be required to read all entries then either vote on the top 3, or rank all entries , or something else that seems fair.

On second thought, Scoring could also be on a popular vote (versus formal judges) where members just vote for spots 1,2, and 3 and then the final tallys determine 1,2 and 3.

This really needs to be defined before the contest would begin.

2. Set an official guidelines page for entries: length, deadline, etc.

3. Have a place to post entries for anyone (including Judges) to read

4. Have a main thread for the contest, and an <b>individual thread for each submission </b> for dissection and discussion.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

This competition might enable me to actually finish my High Lord Kevin fic that has been getting more and more complex and complicated...

Anyway, I think limiting the contest to expansion of hinted-at events may be needlessly limiting.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm going to write a story called "The Last Raver".

It's all about his growing fear and loathing upon being the only Raver left in the Land, during the same time period as Runes.

Nom "took care of" one.

And the 2nd one killed himself shortly after the end of WGW because he couldn't remove the Linden "taint" after he had possessed her.

It's a sad story really.
As most stories that have Linden in them are.
Spoiler
In it we will actually learn that the 3 Ravers were in fact true servants of the Land. The very first "children" of Earthpower and teachers of the Forestals. It was only after one of Linden's Caesure trips where she messes things up *AGAIN* that they turn bad.
I expect my prize to be something outstanding when I obviously win.
Perhaps a THOOLAH logo in everyone's signature for a month.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Well I've certainly made attempts at writing TC fanfiction though much of it was crossovers involving Star Trek characters or Batman. I think I could come up with a few ideas for a contest.
I've always been interested in elaborating on Lord Mhoram's past encounter with a Raver.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I liked your Warders of Hotash Slay.

But the Mhoram vs Batman one is barly half done...at least that's all thats posted on the Watch...I always wanted to know what happened.....
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

aTOMiC wrote:Well I've certainly made attempts at writing TC fanfiction though much of it was crossovers involving Star Trek characters or Batman. I think I could come up with a few ideas for a contest.
I've always been interested in elaborating on Lord Mhoram's past encounter with a Raver.
Thats exactly what I wanted to go for: storeis that are there, hidden, in the book but only hinted at. I assume you mean when Mhoram was scouting and encountered the raver (I forget which one, but I think it was satansfist)) and was able to reject him. Now there's a story :)

I , on the other hand, want to write about Korik's attempt to take the fight to Corruption with Sill and Doar using the illearth fragment. When did Korik change his mind from taking the fragment to the Lords to fighting Corrption?? What was his plan? Did Sill and Doar challenge Korik ?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

drew wrote:I liked your Warders of Hotash Slay.

But the Mhoram vs Batman one is barly half done...at least that's all thats posted on the Watch...I always wanted to know what happened.....
Thanks drew.
I suppose I could have elaborated more on the Bat Mhoram story but at the time I just wanted to get to a point where Mhoram used the seven words on the Joker. :-) Perhaps I can revisit that one long enough to present some kind of climax and conlusion.

iquestor, I think your idea would be terrific, exploring the details of the Bloodguard's misguided attempt on Foul.

I've always liked Lord Prothal. Surely there are many stories regarding his past. The legendary struggles of Berek Halfhand. Etc. There are dozens if not hundreds of unexplored stories lurking about in the background/backstory of the Land.

iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

agreed!

SRD left so many hooks, so many stories left untold, again , a tribute to his talent and vision. Would that he had the span of a giant to tell the tales of the Land.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

How does SRD feel about this?

Many authors explicitly say "No fan fiction," such as George Martin.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Lord Mhoram wrote:How does SRD feel about this?

Many authors explicitly say "No fan fiction," such as George Martin.
LM, I put this question to SRD and his response was not one of particular interest in fan fiction he simply stated that as long as the author did not claim ownership of the subject matter or state or imply that SRD himself wrote the story he had no real objection to fan fiction. That there seems to be very little SRD based fan fiction around may have more to do with the source stories themselves than with any opposition SRD would have.

Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I've always wondered about Berek. Although Lord Morham and the Raver is an excellent choice! Maybe even a Lord that's not mentioned, that way maybe some one else could make an appearence! I'm just overloaded with stuff!
TIC TAC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TIC TAC »

In the Gradual Interview, SRD wrote:
No one sends me fan fiction. In part, this is because I protect my privacy (in other words, people don't know *how* to send me fan fiction); and in part, it's because I've often announced in no uncertain terms that I won't *read* fan fiction if it is sent to me. I have no real objection to fan fiction (unless it involves a copyright violation). But I'm not willing to confuse my imagination by filling it with other people's ideas.

Also, I suspect that there's something, well, *strict* about my stories which tends to inhibit people from spinning off their own ideas. I can't be sure of that, of course: it's just an intuitive perception.
THOOLAH - Nuff said.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Thank you, Mayor and Tom. I remember Ami wrote a story entitled "Lord Mhoram's Quest" - a story from Mhoram's quest after the end of the final book of the First Chronicles, about three-four years ago. It was quite good. Anyone know where that is?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Maybe I'll take a kick at Baghoon.
-Well not really take a kick at him...he sounds like a bad-@$$--but I've got a neat idea for how his (unknown)tale could fit in nicely with the chronicles.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iquestor wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:I think rule number three eliminates a lot of imaginative choices. You pretty much can't create a new story.
My intention is to 'fill in' areas where the story touches, but does not elaborate.
I still don't get it. Why do you need an "intention" to direct stories to certain areas and away from others? Does this "intention" reflect a use to which you are putting these stories (which you maybe have not spoken of)? What is influencing you to have any requirements at all?

For example, amanibhavam's nice story would be disallowed in that nowhere in the Chronicles did it mention that Mhoram had a last quest. That seems a great shame. And I can see a huge raft of stories similarly disallowed. That seems kinda bogus.

Plus you've raised my suspicious hackles.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”