TC Fan Fic Contest

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I think that pretty much any FanFic (other than maybe Mhoram meets the Joker) woulc be connected to the story somehow.

Even Mhorams last victory; it could lead to how a raver was able to infiltrate the new council.

Even aTOMiC's Warders of Hotash Slay shows how Fould behaved when he was a Lord.

Another interesting Story might be how Karysen came to be.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

My hackles were raised too, but after an investigation I couldn't find anything wrong.

I thought it was pretty strange for an user to be named after a corporation and have that corporation's website as his/her homepage, but I took a look at the iQuest page and the firm appears to do software and hardware related services. The closest thing to any fic contest related thing is their CD/DVD replication service, and I don't think anyone here would be fooled into buying contest fics on a CD. Weird, though.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Perhaps intention was a bad word to use. In the first post, I submitted my ideas for this contest, and my *intention* for the direction of said contest was to limit entries to those which 'filled in' existing hooks or references in the original story. Most writing contests limit the entries in some way to make it more challenging; this just happens to be my opinion of a good contest limiter, and doesn't necessarily have to be so. If it is decided to hold a contest on Kevin's watch, then admin gets to decide. Again, a suggestion.

As for your suspicions, Wayfriend and others: well, I am sorry you were suspicious (please read no facetiousness or sarcasm in this); but, really now, what could anyone do with these stories, except enjoy them as TCTC fan fic? its not like they are publishable or profitable by anyone except SRD, and I personally have too much respect for any author than to try something like that.

I am the owner of iQuest, it is my business for the past 8 years, what I do for a living. The registration asked for a web page, well, there it is. If it is weird for a 40 year old software developer who owns a business to be an SRD Fan and want to start a fan fic contest, then, OK you got me, I'm wierd.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Iquestor, I figured you had to be the owner... No hard feelings. Your choice of a name stands out though. It's like me calling myself FiniteStateMachineGal.

By the way, I noticed that every single requirement serves to shut out any fic resembling my old fic "Replacements" that went over like a lead balloon for some reason. "Replacements" was very short, set in the "real world", and was in no way implied by the books (although it didn't contradict them). It was also science fiction...
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Nerdanel wrote:Iquestor, I figured you had to be the owner... No hard feelings. Your choice of a name stands out though. It's like me calling myself FiniteStateMachineGal..
No hard feelings taken. 'iQuestor' is a name I have taken for myself in various online personas since the early 90's, from my Mudding days at college to old D&D games. The name came well before my company, so I guess I didn't think about it the other way around.

FiniteStateMachineGal is actually kinda *interesting*, in a nerdy matrix kinda way; you don't happen to have a leather suit and are exceptional at martial arts and machine gunning while flying through the air, are you? just checking. :)

at any rate, thanks for the post. To belabor a point, I am interested in writing an episode from the book never detailed, but central to the theme of the first chronicles, (Korik's failed attempt at Foul) and have been also interested in what other people might produce for this or other notable hooks. This is what prompted the contest idea.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iquestor wrote:As for your suspicions, Wayfriend and others: well, I am sorry you were suspicious (please read no facetiousness or sarcasm in this); but, really now, what could anyone do with these stories, except enjoy them as TCTC fan fic?
The usual ruse is someone looking for someone to write their school writing assignment, book report, or term paper. Occasionally there's someone looking to plagerize in general. (If you post your story on the web, you lose the copyright and publishing rights to it.) It's easy enough tp "publish" books and sell them on the web. Oh, and then there's the one where you get a lot of writing and then you say, "hey, you're a really good writer, let me tell you about an amazing deal to get published, it costs a bit up front, but you're so good ..."

And then there's the fact that you became a member apparently just to stir up some fan fic.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

WayFriend, I respect that you had questions, however I have answered them.

Now, you are just trying to belabour this by coming up with childish scenarios where some evil corporation is preying on hapless SRD fans to write fan fic so I can plagarize and/or sell them.

Why don't you put that active imagination to good use in a more productive way than trashing this thread for everyone else. How about some FanFic from you?
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

Looks like this thread is getting ready to vanish into a black hole... :biggrin:
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Well, if it does vanish, then it does; I will find my motivation inward to write the fanfic I wanted to anyway, and post it here for comments.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Guys, no need to subject iquestor to some form of inquisition. He's just making suggestions, that's all. Wayfriend, you don't need to be so harsh on him.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I would like to see a fic contest, but with a long enough time period before the deadline to allow for slow writers like me. Also there could be some discussion of the rules, for example whether we could allow more canonically loose fic, and whether the length limits are right. My fragmentary High Lord Kevin fic is currently at 1343 words and although it will surely grow a lot, I'm not entirely sure if the finished version will reach 3000 words. 3000 words is a lot.

I have some radical "Nerdanel ideas" in the fic, some of which I have mentioned, but at least one that I expect will be a total surprise to everyone. 8)
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

kevinswatch wrote:Hm, yeah, a fan fic contest could be fun. I've been trying to get people to send in fan fic for a while now to Kevin's Watch, but with no real luck.

I'd be happy to help promote something like this on the Watch's main page, maybe make it more "official". And I'd be glad to supply/pay for the prize, whatever it may be.-jay
Loremaster, thanks for your post.

Nerdanel has some ideas, and I am sure others do. Why don't we try to hash out some rules?

- Minimum length
- lose the limiter about storyline, but make some rules about content, ie must fit somewhere in the conceivable history of the Land
- come up with a deadline
- Jay posted that he'd perhaps add it to the main page; what about a new copy of Fatal Rev, when it comes out as a prize?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Loremaster wrote:Wayfriend, you don't need to be so harsh on him.
I am?
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

To get it started, my ideas for the rules. Feel free to jump in , dissect, suggest, and discuss:

1. Min length: 2500 words. We need enough story to digest.

2. Deadline for entries: September 1, 2006. Is this enoguht time, Nerdanel?

3. Topics: Any topic that fits into the known history of the Land, but not limited to the events IN the land, like you could write about Kaseryn, Haruchai, Giant's homeland, etc.), up through end of ROTE.

As you know, I would like to limit this to entries that *fit* into the storyline, but my idea about this didnt go over, so can someone come up with some limiters, or do we agree that anything goes as long as it fits into the Land? suggestions??

4. 6 Judges chosen who have been registered KW members for more than 6 months (?). Does this make sense?

5. Create a main contest thread, and each entry gets its own thread, like Mhorams Last Quest was posted (which was good :) ). Then anyone can read and comment.

6. People who enter shouldnt be judges, for obvious reasons.

anything else?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I probabley wont enter, but i look forward to reading them.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

I think iquestor is being perfectly reasonable with the rules... :P

O/T question: Who is Colin Firth and why would his attorneys not like avatars?
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

MrKABC wrote:O/T question: Who is Colin Firth and why would his attorneys not like avatars?
He plays Mr Darcy in the TV pride and predujice.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

This competition might actually make me get off my backside and start writing (well i would have to sit back down again to write but you know what I mean!). I am currently re-reading TPTP and am at the bit where Covenant has met Triock and Foamfollower. I thought perhaps the tale of Foamfollower from the time he began fighting with the stonedowners would be quite a good story.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

KAY1 wrote:... the tale of Foamfollower from the time he began fighting with the stonedowners would be quite a good story.

Kay1, Go For It!! I agree. My interest has always been to hear/read tales that fill in the story line, but there has been some push back on that.
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

Definitely! SRD always leaves you with just enough detail to whet your appetite! At the same time though stories such as Mhoram's last quest, although never hinted at at all in the books, could also be considered as 'filling in' as we never really knew anything about what happened between the 1st and 2nd chrons. As long as the basic elements are there (ie true details about the Land, or Brathair etc that we already know) then anything else is artistic licence!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”