StarCraft

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Worm of Despite
Lord

StarCraft

Post by Worm of Despite »

Who loves this game? I just started playing it for the first time. The single-player campaign is brilliant; the levels are very engaging, and I love the characters--very memorable, them.

I kind of dread playing multi-player on Battle.net, because I'm so sure I'll get my ass handed to me, heh. But that comes with the territory.

I've only played the Terran campaign so far. Can't wait to try out the Zerg, but I think Protoss will wind up being my favorite. I love all the various units. Building the army is almost as fun as kicking ass with it!

You just know Blizzard will make a StarCraft II. Ah, what a wonderful age this is to live in!
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I love playing the Protoss.

Like WC, I find that SC is only fun when you play with your friends.

Playing the computer is okay - but I find it's either too easy or too difficult, never well-matched. And impossible to get far without using save game.

Playing on BattleNet is downright vile. Simply: no one is nice.

Kevin
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

A great game this is....
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

BTW, I cannot help it: when Love Bites comes on on the radio, I immediately think of the Protoss. Funny.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I also started playing this recently. Perhaps we could have a game sometime! It kicks arse!

Not as good as Age of Empires II, but it comes close.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Age of Empires II is great, yeah, but it's never going to be looked on by the masses as the quintessential strategy game, like StarCraft. It's still the "standard", so to speak, for all RTS games, and that's a pretty strong statement, especially since it came out circa 1998.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Loric
Stonedownor

Post by Loric »

Ya - I know this is old news...

A 28-year-old South Korean man has died after playing an online computer game for almost 50 hours non-stop. The man, known only by his family name of Lee, started playing the popular battle simulation game Starcraft on August 3 and was fixed to his seat for over two days. His marathon gaming session was apparently broken only with the occasional toilet break or five-minute nap. Reuters News Agency reports police sources saying the man died from cardiac arrest “stemming from exhaustion”.
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

Starcraft has got to be the single greatest RTS ever made.
Yes, most people on battlenet are... let's just say not-so-nice.
That just makes that much more fun to own them.
Like others in this thread, I am a Toss fan myself. Back in the "good old days" when folks playe Lost Templte and were serious about SC, I was a Terran player. I was ok (Especially relative to those I played with). I could pull off a pretty decent M&M or Tank Push.
Now, however, no one plays Lost Temple :(. Instead, everyone plays mega money maps like Big Game Hunters and Fastest Map Possible (should really be called "Most Fun Map Ever"). When it comes to Fastest, I'm a pretty good Toss player. When my two friends and I join up and do 3v3 we don't lose (mostly because they are both very good and we coordinate well).

If anyone on here ever wants to play SC, I am more than willing.

You can probably guess what my SC screenname is ;)
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've never actually played StarCraft, but being a Blizzard game I feel I should check it out. Based on past experience, I don't really have the nous for RTS. I do okay on games where I can pause to issue orders, but that pretty much prohibits online play. On every RTS I've ever played, my carefully considered tactics always seem to degenerate into one big zerg, so maybe the Zerg are the race for me!

Apparently at BlizzCon a lot of people were petitioning Blizzard to make World of StarCraft. Being more into SF than Fantasy I'd jump at that, but unfortuately it makes absolutely no business sense from Blizz's point of view.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

To be honest, I'm a bigger fan of WCIII. I find the potential for good micro control is a lot greater in WCIII, takes more time to master, and keeps the games more interesting, and for that I appreciate it more. SC just has too many troops for most stuff to work that well, at least for me, but I still agree that it's a great game. Certainly look forward to a sequel, though going by the fact that one has yet to even be announced...

Personally, I think Blizz seems to be a tad slower than other companies at releasing games, but considering that they're usually more solid in terms of quality (and the people who patch the game seem to put a lot of work into it), I suppose it's unfair to accuse them for it.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Have blizzard ever released a game that hasn't turned out to be amazing, a classic, and a roaring success?

I can't think of any...
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

They tend to cancel things that they don't think are going to be up to their standards.

Witness Exhibit A: Starcraft: Ghost and Exhibit B: Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans

It's a refreshing attitude and one I'm surprised more compnaies don't adopt. Sure, it's going to hurt fininancially if you do it on a regular basis, but imagine how much a lot of developers would be willing to pay to get Blizzard's reputation. Not to mention their profits; they recieve around $14,000,000 per month from WoW subscriptions alone.

Think I might have a bash at SC though. I've never been much cop at RTSs though, I tried playing both Dawn of War and RTW online and recieved nothing more than a firm ass-kicking each time. My first Dawn of War game was a particularly crushing defeat, I got an unlucky starting position and get Zerged by two enemy players within two minutes!

We've tried in the past to get online games together on here, but do you think we would be able to get a KW StarCraft tournament (or even a league) together? Could be a lot of fun, I'd gladly get my ass handed to me by you guys!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Played a bit of Starcraft, it's a very well put together RTS and I really like it so far. I didn't do very well in the 'survive for 30 minutes' mission against the Zerg, but I got through it (only because they couldn't blow up my buildings in time). Jim Raynor is funny and so are the cutscenes.

Not been brave enough to try Battlenet yet though.

Return to “PC & Console Games”