SFBC Omnibus edition of TCTC

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

dlbpharmd
Lord

SFBC Omnibus edition of TCTC

Post by dlbpharmd »

I just received my hardback copy of the first chronicles from Science Fiction Book club (Omnibus). The cover art depicts Covenant, staff in hand, facing down a couple of Cavewights. The interesting thing is - Covenant has 4 fingers and a thumb on his right hand! The white ring is on his right ring finger.

Wouldn't you think that someone familar with the story would notice something so obviously wrong?
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

LOL! We had a similiar discussion about cover art in chat one night. It seems that who ever does the art for these books hasn't read them at all :?

On the cover for the second chrons, the SFBC edition, Covenant is holding some disk thing up in the air. We have absolutely no clue what that is supposed to be. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

You're right! I forgot to mention about the disk. What the heck is that thing supposed to be?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Lord Foul's ear????????????? :screwy: :hairs: :mrgreen:
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

if so....Mike Tyson must've gotten a hold of him.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:haha:
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

ROFL :lol:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Until you mentioned the ring in that cover, I didn't even realize that the man in the picture on the First Chrons omnibus was TC. I had always thought that it was High Lord Prothall...but sure enough, he has a ring on his hand... :?
Love as thou wilt.

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

dlbpharmd wrote:You're right! I forgot to mention about the disk. What the heck is that thing supposed to be?
Purchase Receipt from : "Digital Prosthetics Ltd" ???
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Oh - can this lovely cover art be seen somewhere on the net? It sounds almost as interesting as the Bilbo cover with two leprechauns and a christmastree...
SLATFATF...
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I think I figured out that disk. The publishing company probably handed the artist an older version (pre-published) of the manuscript to read, and this picture was taken from a plot line that was cut from the final version of the book in order to reduce the size.

It's the broken shards of "The One Serving Plate", lost form the flatware collection of Berek's queen during her wars with the raver-possessed king. Covenant and Linden sought that out before trying to form a new Staff of Law, because it had the ability to serve the masses. That way villagers wouldn't need to shed blood to eat and survive. It's only after this artifact was restored, and taken from village to village by Emeril son of Juila that they decided to go after the Staff in order to stop the sunbane itself. The first book in the second chronicles actually started out as two books, until this plot line was cut out. The second book was The Wounded Land. The first one was entitled "Service Enables Service". :D

(Keep in mind that the artist rarely ever - and rarely is a conservative word - coordinates anything with the author. I have author friends who saw the cover for their book for the first time just before they started gluing all the pages together and shipping them to the stores. And the artist doesn't always do the best job with creating something that matches the story - it seems that sometimes they don't even read the book.)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

My omnibus copy of the Second Chrons came yesterday...I finally broke down and ordered it since I haven't been able to find my paperback copies since we moved two years ago...and I must say, the cover does not match my perceptions of the characters at all. :?
What the heck is that disc he is holding? And since when has he become a studly looking dude with an open shirt and six pack abs? :? :? :?
Love as thou wilt.

UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

A disc? How big is this disc? Is it the disc from Tron? Did the artist just see Tron at the same time as he skimmed through a couple of pages from the books and then decide that anything he doesn't know from the Chronicles he can just fill in with details from Tron?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

duchess of malfi wrote: And since when has he become a studly looking dude with an open shirt and six pack abs? :? :? :?
That's because they based the character off me. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

LOL duchy!!! :lol:

Don't all lepers have six-pack abs??? :haha:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”