The Chronicles FILMED!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Brinn wrote:Oh boy...Here we go with Viggo again...;)
I wouldn't care who he played, as long as he was in there somewhere! Note: birdandbear goes into helpless goo goo eyes mode at the sight of Aragorn....er, Viggo. ;)

Seafoam Understone said something earlier in this thread that gave me an idea. I think that, absoloutely film makers would lose an audience portraying the rape of a young girl so early in the movie. I think it would work much better to cut the scene when he knocks her down, maybe have TC scream at her some, knock her down, and faint. And then reveal the rape through flashbacks at Manhome. That way you have a lot longer to draw an audience in....less chance of them just walking out.

I can't figure out how to work around the Trell/Atiaran/OoP scene though. It is kinda crucial that Atiaran knows what he did through that whole journey.

Maybe Covenant could have some sort of mild amnesia or something....when accused, he really believes no such thing ever happened.....but Atiaran believes Trell, thus retaining the true scale of Atiaran's sacrifice in guiding TC, without especially damning Covenant....yet.

Just a thought. :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I suppose it be worked so we don't actually see the rape, but learn of it through Atiaran's responses to Covenant...
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

They could have had a quick naughty with consent and then Covenant could deal instead with the guilt of, say, not calling within the next couple of days?

Seriously, the rape is utterly integral in my opinion, and would need to remain.

It'd be a challenge, which is why Rold de Heer would have to direct it.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Who to play TC

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Remember that TC is supposed to be about 30 in the first Chronicles. Kevin Spacy is way too... um... mature. Back in the 80s I used to see Jan-MIchael Vincent as the perfect TC. Actually this past week I was thinking about it being filmed again and the first person I thought of was... DUDE why has his name leaked out of my brain!!!! You know... Oh I hate it when this happens. EDWARD NORTON!!!! Yeah... there we go.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

dlbpharmd wrote:Quick question - it has always seemed to me that TCTC would make an unpopular movie due to the early rape scene. Lena's rape is so central to TC's character - is it possible to remove that scene from a movie without dramatically changing who TC is?
Maybe they could start "In medias res" or whatever, and then we could get the information we need by listening to TC's ranting.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Indeed that the rape of Lena is essential because without there would be no Elena. I liked some of the ideas that have been presented and the counter-arguments have been productive. Yes, folks I'm constructing a script at this posting.
Also correct that Trell explained to Atarian that "he ravished Lena!" which gives rise to her noble sacrifice to continue leading Covenant to the Lords.
Of course now Lena will have to have a bit of diaglogue<sic> (yes! I have a spell checker just not HERE) to tell Covenant about Trell who is woo-ing her.
Edward Norton is a terrific character actor... he could be persuaded to do the part... but he's also high-dollar... I dunno talk to the producers I'm just gonna write the sucker.
The series of flash-backs of the rape and how it's filmed could ease it for unfamiliar audiences, still won't make the guy popular at first because he continually refuses (voluntarily at least) to do NOTHING... i.e. the battle at Soaring Woodhelven.
Also his long sleep in Saltheart's boat while traveling upstream on the river could be used to insert a flashback as well. Lots of opportunities.
The thread is going to be fun if we keep this up. It'll also help out in the working of the script.

We'll see what happens eh?

Seafoam
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Ryzel wrote:In medias res"
:?:
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I don't think Norton is all that appropriate. Too young for a start. Even if TC was 30, I think he'd have to look a bit older, he feels much older.

He also has to be 'gaunt', right?

I'm stumped.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Well, first of all I need to confess that I suffer the occasional chronic foot in mouth disease. I stated that Trell hunted down Atarian and Covenant and informed Lena's mother of the rape... I walked out of the public library and got on the train back home and was thinking about that particular scene. BAM! Muy stupido! TRILOCK was the name Atarian screamed when she identified their stalker.
I hang my head (and just chuckle at my own FIM) :fim:
Sigh.. it happens...

Have you seen Norton lately Landwaster? True he buffed up for Am. Hist. X but slimmed down again for that (??) movie with DeNiro. Either way the wonders that a beard and good underlying make up can do to make an actor look older and gaunt.
Lots of folks I knew were amazed that Gimli was played by Sallah from the Indy Jones movies. They just didn't recognized the name of the actor.

grin
Hope Dromond likes my new avatar!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Wow! I like it better than mine!! Wanna switch?? :haha:
Seriously, looking good!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Fair enough ... I just don't reckon Norton's the one for the job. I don't care if TC is meant to be about 30, I reckon he should look about 40! Maybe older!

But maybe that's just me :)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Norton has a boyish face IMHO, not fit for TC

my fav choice: Day-Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(hate to be a stickler SU but it's Triock! :D )
fall far and well Pilots!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

What about Chris Cooper.

Ooh FOUND HIM! Much better actor, too.

Have to see what he looks like in a beard, though.

Post by Guest »

I went to imdb.com and found some pics (Chris Cooper) ... hmm could work... there's one of him with moustache you'd have to fill in the rest though...
he does have the intensity to play Covenant. A good choice.

danlo...uhh yes I know..oops heh heh [/img]
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

He was the intense Dad of the young feller in American Beauty, and one of the few blokes who wasn't Nicolas Cage in Adaptation.

But he'sshown better worth in variousd John Sayles movies.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

just occured to me that Roy Scheider would make a good Mhoram
a good actor, has the right kind if nose:-)
a bit too old now, maybe

Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

Does it matter now days what an actor looks like with makeup and prosthetics, cgi etc
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

yes, I believe it matters
I still believe in good ol'fashioned acting, without any prosthetics or extensive makeup

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yes true .. I recently watched my copy of Princess Bride again .. and just basked in the brilliance of Andre the Giants role of .. umm .. well the giant ;)

he was perfect not only in size .. but in all respects ;)

too bad he's no longer with us .. evenso I dont see Foamy being well portrayed by him per se .. but he aint the only giantish person that could take such a role

and Hagred is brilliant played by ..whathisname?? ;)

but i agree cgi .. can do wonders with raw materials .. not only in enhancing them .. but also in creating them.

i liked Shrek .. but wouldnt like to see a Shrek like foamy ..

as for TC .. we had a guy picked out for him .. and he was perfect!! .. damnit what was his name??
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”