Serenity

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Loremaster wrote:Serenity was great. The part with the Reaver fleet arriving to fight the Alliance fleet was incredible.
Oh, hell yeah. I loved that part as well. I got a little rush watching it. I was almost cheering - one of the best moments in cinema - easily matches Neo waking up from the dead to be revealed as the One.
Loremaster wrote:Just a shame there were some story holes. Like how the Reavers continue their kind - perhaps breeding? And, more importantly, how they manager their ships/fleets. If they are that psychotic, I find it difficult to imagine that they can pilot their ships or manage repairs or alterations. Further, the fleet in orbit of Miranda seemed too ordered and peaceful.

More explanation would have been good. Maybe a sequel will do just that.
I'm not so sure there will be a sequel. I pray that there will be. But it wasn't that large at the box office. But we can hope. :)

And you have valid points about the Reavers. I have often thought just that about them. How does their own hierarchy work? How can they fly as as a fleet without at least some sane reasoned thinking there?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I don't think there will be a sequel. Shame, really.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Never say never.

Bothe Serenity and Firefly did amazingly well on DVD, so there is a chance that there will either be a sequel or the series will be picked back up by someone.

But they'd better hurry, those folks aren't getting any younger.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Cail wrote:Never say never.

Bothe Serenity and Firefly did amazingly well on DVD, so there is a chance that there will either be a sequel or the series will be picked back up by someone.

But they'd better hurry, those folks aren't getting any younger.
Actually, they are. The guy who played Simon is actually getting drugs, by taking several new drugs. In 7 years he'll be the first 35 year old sperm.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Revan wrote:Actually, they are. The guy who played Simon is actually getting drugs, by taking several new drugs. In 7 years he'll be the first 35 year old sperm.
I think that you're getting drugs by taking the drugs that make you actually repeat the words you actually repeat, which makes what you say so redundant it's actually redundant.
Last edited by dANdeLION on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

dANdeLION wrote:
Revan wrote:Actually, they are. The guy who played Simon is actually getting drugs, by taking several new drugs. In 7 years he'll be the first 35 year old sperm.
I think that you're getting drugs by taking the drugs that make you actually repeat the words you actually repeat, which makes what you say so redundant it's actually redundant.
Interesting.

Yeah, you have good points Cail, the dvd sales were amazing. perhaps they will decide to make anothe two movies. :)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

dANdeLION wrote:
:haha: Almost over-milked...but not quite. :lol:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

CovenantJr wrote:
dANdeLION wrote:
I think that you're getting drugs by taking the drugs that make you actually reapeat the words you actually reapeat, which makes what you say so redundant it's actually redundant.
:haha: Almost over-milked...but not quite. :lol:
heh. Agreed.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Over-milked.....oh, you mean like that cow in Kung-Pow!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

dANdeLION wrote:Over-milked.....oh, you mean like that cow in Kung-Pow!
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what he had in his mind at the time.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Good. It's settled then.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

An interesting Q&A from the GI:

Lou Sytsma: Hello again. Hope all is well.

Here's a question I hope you have not been asked yet. Are you familar with Joss Whedon at all? While I am not a devout follower of all his work, I do enjoy the dialogue he comes up with for his characters. His latest effort, the short-lived Firefly tv series and the concluding movie - Serenity, are prime examples of his writing ability. Something you may want to check out.

BTW - sneaking in some extra questions here - do you find dialogue easy to write? Do you read your writing out loud to see if it sounds right?

Thanks for your time.

I'm a major "Buffy" fan. I enjoyed "Angel" and "Firefly" ("Serenity" not so much). Of course, Whedon didn't write *all* of those stories. But his dialogue (like his stories) often has serious power.

Dialogue does *not* come easily to me. In fact, no other single aspect of my books gets rewritten as extensively (and intensively) as the dialogue. And yet-- As I get older, I find dialogue more and more *exciting*. (Com'on. Who else d'ya know who would use an "argument" for the climax of a fantasy novel?) No doubt that's why there's more dialogue in "Runes" than in any other "Covenant" book.

(04/19/2006)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Donaldson rocks!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I bought the Firefly boxset a week or two ago and watched the whole lot in two days. I loved absolutely everything about it. I mean, as TV series go, it's pretty much perfection.

So I immediately ordered Serenity, which arrived today.

And I was less impressed. It seemed so much less... coherent than the series. There seemed to be a few key scenes, which I enjoyed immensely. But they were strung together by a slightly weak plot, I felt. The characters' motivations for the stuff they did a lot of the time seemed really... well, out of character. Or just unexplained. I dunno. I liked it but it was a bit of a disappointment after the TV series.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I disagree, I think the film is a fine story.

And perhaps you're right about the characters. But you must remember that with a film where there are 7 or 8 major characters, each with his or her own arc to discover - it is hard to explain every single one of their actions. - whereas via a tv show, where you get to know more of the characters after each episode - it is relatively easy.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I gave it another spin today... and I think I'm convinced. There was a ton of dialogue that for some reason or another I simply didn't pick up on the first time round, or it didn't sink in, or possibly I didn't even hear what they were actually saying in some of the quieter parts.

Plus I was able to concentrate on all because I had some idea of what was going on - and also, I think the first time round I was expecting basically another episode of Firefly.

But things made lots more sense - it'd have been nice for some more of the characters to have played more... 'individual' parts, but as you say, it's a film and that's just not practical.

I liked it a lot this time.

I'm also having really strong déjà vu typing this. Odd.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

The Somberlain wrote:I gave it another spin today... and I think I'm convinced. There was a ton of dialogue that for some reason or another I simply didn't pick up on the first time round, or it didn't sink in, or possibly I didn't even hear what they were actually saying in some of the quieter parts.

Plus I was able to concentrate on all because I had some idea of what was going on - and also, I think the first time round I was expecting basically another episode of Firefly.

But things made lots more sense - it'd have been nice for some more of the characters to have played more... 'individual' parts, but as you say, it's a film and that's just not practical.

I liked it a lot this time.

I'm also having really strong déjà vu typing this. Odd.
I'm glad you gave it a re-try and enjoyed it Somberlain! :D

It happens, hastily judge something and upon reflection you actually like it. Knights of the Old Reublic 2 springs to my mind.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Serenity wins Nebula

Post by taraswizard »

In Arizona on Saturday Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) held their annual Nebula dinner. The Nebulas are the 'best' in SF and Fantasy as voted by membership on SFWA. Serenity won for screenplay. l Joss Whedon
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

Don't know if this has been posted:
www.donetheimpossible.com/index.php
"Done the Impossible"

The story of the rise and fall and rebirth of the cult TV show "Firefly,"
as told from the perspective of the fans who helped save it.

The creators of FireflyMovie.com (a.k.a. SerenityMovie.net) have teamed with with a group of creative professionals / Firefly fans to tell our story, the fan's story - the story of the Browncoats. This professional quality production, shot in high-definition, will be released on DVD soon.

Firefly has grown beyond just the genius of Joss Whedon -- just as he intended it to. In many ways the words Firefly and Browncoat have come to symbolize a sense of community, family, and believing that the impossible can be accomplished. These concepts are at the very heart of Firefly and of its fans.

In this documentary, the fans explain what inspired them to become passionate about Firefly, to help save Firefly, attend shindigs, participate in message boards, donate to charities, and become Serenity extras. They talk about the many ways that Firefly has affected their lives. Cast and crew also share humorous and insightful experiences with the fans.

The creators of "Done the Impossible" are passionate about charity and using Firefly as a vehicle to effect positive change. As such, a percentage of the DVD proceeds will be donated to Joss Whedon's favorite charity, Equality Now.
There's a torrent running around containing only the documentary, supposedly legally (ie licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License) released in P2P's by the producers (legaltorrents), but can't confirm legality for now.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's available on MiniNova, not sure about the legality.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “Flicks”