Serenity

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

Well, downloaded, browsed a bit through it, seems legit: "Buy the DVD, www.donetheimpossible.com" is constantly seen on lower right; end credits do say licence is Creative Commons; movie starts with preview of what the buyable DVD contains.

www.legaltorrents.com
www.legaltorrents.com/about_done_the_impossible.htm
[Why Release a "Free" version]

Great question, two answers.
1. We philosophically agree with the concepts of Creative Commons. In our opinion, the modern state of copyright is counter productive to creativity and free culture. It puts unnatural restraints on "fair use", hinders the creative process and has fundamentally destroyed an entire industry before it was even born. Just think of the amazing products, enhancements, embellishments and re-mixes to creative works that could be built with today's technology and talents. But because modern copyrights are so restrictive, nobody dares do anything that *might* infringe on somebody's oh so holy copyright. Thus, we have chosen to not go down that road with our documentary. Enjoy it, share it, re-mix it all you like, just be sure to follow the license below. But remember, producing this documentary was not cheap, so please support the creators of the documentary and it's soundtrack by purchasing the full DVD and soundtrack at:
www.DoneTheImpossible.com
(or just send us some money via PayPal: jeremy@neish.com, we won't mind...)

2. This release is a preemptive strike. Somebody would have released our documentary via P2P (bittorrent, etc) anyway. By releasing it ourselves, we at least have control over the quality and exact content. Basically the documentary becomes a marketing tool for the full DVD with all of it's extensive special feature described above.

If you purchased our DVD and are feeling a bit slighted by this "free" release, we understand. But remember, somebody else would have released it anyway, so why not us? And remember your DVD contains much more than this P2P release of the documentary.

The P2P release of "Done the Impossible" was originally released on LegalTorrents.com, please respect copyrights, even if you don't fully agree with the current implementation.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Took (well, I tried to take) an objective look at Serenity tonight.

I don't understand why this movie wasn't a huge hit. It's got everything a blockbuster should have.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by taraswizard »

Cail, IMO some of the answer to your question might lie in this message thread One of the Reasons. But I could be full of crap. And there is the scene
Spoiler
where the Operative says "Captain Reynolds we are not an evil Empire"
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

whedonesque.com/comments/12606

Whoo hoo!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cail wrote:Took (well, I tried to take) an objective look at Serenity tonight.

I don't understand why this movie wasn't a huge hit. It's got everything a blockbuster should have.
Doncha think that the reason it wasn't a big blockbuster was simply a failed (nearly non-exixtant) marketing strategy? I mean sci-fi has some compelling biases against it with the genral public that marketing can help overcome, but without it...
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

So, what does the Special Edition DVD have that the regular one doesn't? Not that I won't be buyin git the second it comes out, but it would be nice to know I'm getting something extra.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

There's a rundown on the page I linked, but the big thing (for me, at least) is the cast commentary.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Yes, fanlings, there is going to be a 2 disc 'Special Edition' released this summer. You know why? 'Cause the 1 disc 'Normal Edition' has sold so well -- so maybe a little self-back-patting is in order for you guys. Way to keep her in the air.

It's too early to be sure what the Special Edition will contain, but here are some things we're going for:

NEW KEY ART.

Cast commentary -- assuming I can get a decent number of them in one room. They're very busy people, I'm happy to say.

NEW KEY ART.

The region 4 goodies, obviously.

The Tam Sessions.

KEY NEW ART.

New Yub Yub, and Greedo shoots first. So does that kid outside the trading station, the pilot who destroyed Haven, and Kaylee. And Richard Dreyfuss goes INSIDE the mothership.

KEW RAT YEN.

An alternate ending, if you turn it off early.

Proof of the existence of a benevolent higher power -- uh, I mean, new key art.

Mice.

And honestly, what more do you want? Don't answer that, I already know and it's unseemly. But I'm pretty excited here. Back to work, -j.

Take my Yub,
Take Yub Yub,
Yub Yub tak the Yub from Meee...dichlorians....
joss
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Thank you for cutting and pasting what I was too lazy to do myself.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'm always game for KEY NEW ART, too!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I watched this last night - and i have never seen FireFly before.

I really enjoyed it, some great action sequences and a decent plot. The black assasin guy was brilliant aswell.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Firefly's still better though. :P
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Saw it for the first time tonight, and I gotta say, it really made me want to see the TV show.

The plot was pretty good, although I've seen better. Thought that might just be confusion on my part having never seen the show.

All in all, a worthy buy.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Balon wrote:Saw it for the first time tonight, and I gotta say, it really made me want to see the TV show.

The plot was pretty good, although I've seen better. Thought that might just be confusion on my part having never seen the show.

All in all, a worthy buy.
Would've been even better if you had watched the series first!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

dlbpharmd wrote: Would've been even better if you had watched the series first!
Thats what I'm thinking. I figure once I watch the series, and then the movie again, It'll make it much better.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Late last year a friend of mine mentioned the film...I imdb'ed it...found out it had an 8.7 rating on the sight...watched it...it was decent, but not anywhere near the other films at that rating level...so my friend then explained the background to the film, show, cancellation, author, etc...

...then he threw in the show...wow, great stuff. Much better than the film. Awesome.

I just searched the TV Show section, there's no thread on Fire Fly...urm, where's the GeekLuv Watchers? Thought fursure there'd be a thread...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “Flicks”