The Reason Berek and Covenant are one in the same...

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

You think it's plausible?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:33 pm

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 13

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm just hoping for one or two of the Old Lords to be ceasured to the future, like the urviles and then the Demondim.
It would be fantastic to see what they are in fact capable of doing (and not doing).
Even their personality and morality might be radically different from that of the New Lords (no Oath of Peace).
It would be shocking if they were badass mofo's.

"Linden is not mentioned in the legends" is not the best argument against her travelling to the Land's past.
It's pretty well established that Kevin can keep a secret (7 Wards) ;) .
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

"Linden is not mentioned in the legends" is not the best argument against her travelling to the Land's past.
It's pretty well established that Kevin can keep a secret (7 Wards)
yes, but why keep her a secret? Because she is a time traveller? OK, maybe so. :)

but, I dont think SRD would do that. cant put my finger on it, I just dont think he thinks that way.

On the other hand, his GI comments make it clear something will happen, either they come forward or LA & CO go back to meet them... cannot wait to find out!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

drew wrote:They were cleft off in a fight during the big battle, just before his flight towards Mount Thunder--I beleive it was by an axe; but it could have been a sword.
Right, Berek lost half of his right hand during his battle with the Raver-King.
High Lord Tolkien

iquestor wrote:
It's pretty well established that Kevin can keep a secret (7 Wards)
yes, but why keep her a secret? Because she is a time traveller? OK, maybe so. :)
I think, for example, if Linden were to meet Kevin and they stood together each holding their own Staff of Law and she told him that if anyone knew of their meeting it would break the Arch of Time, Kevin might have kept his mouth shut.

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

I think, for example, if Linden were to meet Kevin and they stood together each holding their own Staff of Law and she told him that if anyone knew of their meeting it would break the Arch of Time, Kevin might have kept his mouth shut.
Agreed! Now, wouldn't that be something: Two staff of Law at the same time? I think that in itself might cause some damage itself. What a cool thought !
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Even their personality and morality might be radically different from that of the New Lords (no Oath of Peace).
It would be shocking if they were badass mofo's.
This would be ace, i'd love to see what an Old Lord could do.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

What if he is? Does that mean the guy at the bar who put the spot light on him and said "Look! It's our good friend Berek!" Did he travel to the land? That would be some extreme chessie-ness :)
PannionDude
Servant of the Land

Post by PannionDude »

TC sees Berek's dead spirit at the end of TPTP. He's towering behind the Lords and joining in their urging for TC to smite Foul with the white gold ring power. Ergo TC != Berek, right?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Buckarama wrote:What if he is? Does that mean the guy at the bar who put the spot light on him and said "Look! It's our good friend Berek!" Did he travel to the land? That would be some extreme chessie-ness :)
AHA! The Mahdoubt is Susie Thurston!! :)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

PannionDude wrote:TC sees Berek's dead spirit at the end of TPTP. He's towering behind the Lords and joining in their urging for TC to smite Foul with the white gold ring power. Ergo TC != Berek, right?
I think this is the definitive proof Berek and TC are not the same.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Warmark wrote:
PannionDude wrote:TC sees Berek's dead spirit at the end of TPTP. He's towering behind the Lords and joining in their urging for TC to smite Foul with the white gold ring power. Ergo TC != Berek, right?
I think this is the definitive proof Berek and TC are not the same.
Wasn't there an excerpt from the GI where TC acted like he was two places at once? Maybe in the Land he can be both alive and dead. (Okay I'm reaching, but hey! I have long arms.) :)
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

It's not a matter of being in two places at once or not... you'd think that TC would notice it if Berek looked exactly like him! :P
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Xar wrote:It's not a matter of being in two places at once or not... you'd think that TC would notice it if Berek looked exactly like him! :P
well he'd been through alot. Maybe he just didn't notice. If he'd never seen Berek before, how did he know it was him anyway? :)
High Lord Tolkien

Yeah, I don't think TC is Berek.
I'm placing my money on Roger being Berek.
There's way too much "Sins of the Father" type stuff in the Chronicles to dismiss this too lightly.

Image Image Image Image
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Buckarama wrote:
Xar wrote:It's not a matter of being in two places at once or not... you'd think that TC would notice it if Berek looked exactly like him! :P
well he'd been through alot. Maybe he just didn't notice. If he'd never seen Berek before, how did he know it was him anyway? :)
Well, TPTP mentions in no uncertain terms that he recognizes the ghost as Berek's when he appears... I surely know that if I saw a ghost that looks exactly like me, I'd notice it... even just something along the line of "holy cow, those loonies were right about me being this freak's reincarnation after all!" :P
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Kil Tyme wrote:Hmm possibly off topic, too, but with the Last Chronicles possibly going back in time again in one of the upcoming books (at least according to some SRD comment I read somewhere on the board here) to a time before the Old Lords, we might get to meet Berek; just guessing.
I believe that Donaldson said that events during the early history of the Land would be important ... he didn't say that there'd be time travel one way or the other.

(Think about it: once could say the same thing about TIW - what Kevin did in the past (hiding the Wards, hanging out with Bloodguard, etc) was very important to the narrative. No time travel was needed to have that be so.)
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Xar wrote:
Buckarama wrote:
Well, TPTP mentions in no uncertain terms that he recognizes the ghost as Berek's when he appears... I surely know that if I saw a ghost that looks exactly like me, I'd notice it... even just something along the line of "holy cow, those loonies were right about me being this freak's reincarnation after all!" :P
Maybe he had a name tag? Hi! My name is "Berek" and I'm dead. But I look nothing like you!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Maybe he did look like the Berek depicted on the tapestry.

Or maybe TC just noticed that the ghost had a half-hand :-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Nom vs. Vain
Ramen

Post by Nom vs. Vain »

Okay... well I had thought at least one of you might see some logic in it but... here's one final piece of evidence that further ties TC to Berek... read the first few chapters of The Ill-Earth War... TC goes to a bar in a neighboring city and a woman, the performer in fact spotted him out.. and without fear said hey everyone its Berek! My Good friend Berek! He taught me everything I know! everyone give him a hand and maybe he'll come up here and sing for us! Now she couldn't see his hand, and SRD never retracts this... so what was the purpose? She saw him as Identical... and if other people can be brought into the land (hile troy) from our world, who is to say Berek had not already visited before TC, He knew of the white gold, perhaps the creator chose him to save the land the first time... and by the way there is an example of someone recognizing him directly as Berek!
These are the pale deaths
which men miscall their lives:
for all the scents of green things growing,
each breath is but an exhalation of the grave.
Boddies jerk like puppet corpses,
and hell walks laughing---
Nom vs. Vain
Ramen

Post by Nom vs. Vain »

ohh and I recant my statement that foul will marry joan... but according to royal lineage... the mother of a king is still queen until he takes a wife so... perhaps Roger is the Raver King we will be seeing....
These are the pale deaths
which men miscall their lives:
for all the scents of green things growing,
each breath is but an exhalation of the grave.
Boddies jerk like puppet corpses,
and hell walks laughing---

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”