I started the Gap series - One word - Wow.

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

I started the Gap series - One word - Wow.

Post by kevinswatch »

OK, since I have a summer job now and have to spend a large amount of time on the metro, I started reading again. It's been a year since I could just sit down and read. So I picked up the first book in the Gap series, which has been sitting on my shelf for a year now. The Real Story. The Gap Into Conflict. Catchy title. And as a started reading, I was hooked. I only started yesterday and I'm almost done. What a crazy story! It's so crazy and creative, I want to read more. But the characters! What's going on with them? We hardly hear much of Moan and Nick. We mostly get Angus. This guy makes Covenant look like a saint! And there's practically no diolouge in the story! It's pretty much all narrative! What's the deal with that? This story is just so crazy! But it's so good!

The only real problem that I have with the story is the graphic "detail" SRD gets into sometimes with the "interaction" between Angus and Moan. A little more then I need to know, sometimes.

But since the whole story has been focused on the three characters and this "real story", I don't really know where the story is going at all. Please, don't tell me any spoilers, I want to read for myself. But I mean, there is no real bad guy and there is no real good guy. There even isn't much of a typical plot! I'm just so confused! OK, that was my rant. I'm almost finished the first book now. And please, NO SPOILERS in this topic! Thanks.-jay
danlo
Lord

Huh???

Post by danlo »

I take it u mean Morn not Moan--I'd be moaning in desperate pain and agony if Angus did that 2 me 2!!!--Well, Jay u've passed the test now ur in 4 a REAL treat 4 killer books await u!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

believe me, jay, you will get more action, plot and dialogue in the next 4 books than you need!
and the graphical details of Morn's humiliation are necessary, imho, you have to dive into the depth of Morn's misery together with her to understand her plight and the following things...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yeah ditto .. I expressed similar things when I first read the 'Real Story' .. all I can say is that .. the playing field keeps changing .. The Gap seemed so different from SRD's other work .. but in many ways now I see the common threads .. I still havent finished all 5 books .. :oops: .. even though HC sent me the 4th .. I still dont have the 5th .. but am keeping my eyes out for it ..

happy reading!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
robo
Ramen

Post by robo »

When I read it the first time I didn't know it was part of a series of books until I read the afterword by SRD.
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

That's funny, I also just started reading the Gap series. We have a great library, and they have the whole series. I've finished 'The Real Story' this morning. I just thought I'd peep to see what people are talking about in this forum, but I don't want spoliers either.
pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I've also just started reading the series. It appears to be a good old space sci-fi story. Then again - I'm only on page 36 :)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Vain wrote:I've also just started reading the series. It appears to be a good old space sci-fi story. Then again - I'm only on page 36 :)
then you ain't seen nothin' yet...:-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

amanibhavam wrote:
Vain wrote:I've also just started reading the series. It appears to be a good old space sci-fi story. Then again - I'm only on page 36 :)
then you ain't seen nothin' yet...:-)
Ain't that the babe ruth?!? :D :D :D

The Gap is the most exhilarating sci-fi I've ever read! It's as inter-layered as the Dune sequence, but it's got the action of Star Wars, the personal interaction of Dostoyevsky :!: and the feel of the Covenant books. It's great! I love it! (Could you tell?)
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

OK. Book 1 down the hatch. I get the impression that it's length indicates that the original intention was for it to almost be a stand-alone book in case SRD decided to can the idea.

Book2 has been started. :)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I cant see how book 1 tRS could stand alone .. but maybe ..

I also cant believe my luck :wink: .. I just bought the 4th book for $4.00 a perfect copy in excellent condition :mrgreen: .. <even fits the set I was collecting :wink: > now I have finished LotR's .. I can finish the Gap series at last!! And thanks to HC I have the 5th book too!! So Gap series I can finally finish you!!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

Skywier! go for it! :mrgreen: yeah! yeah! yeah! :mrgreen:
I liked the series so much I decided to get my own copy.
half.com has some great deals, I got most books for around 4$ including shipping.
Do you guys at au also have half.com?

-pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

wow!! $4.00 including shipping!! That'd be US dollars right? .. thats still very good .. half.com .. I'm gonna go there and check it out!

:mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Book 2 down the hatch as well. There's some pretty good story telling at work but I don't see it functioning on a multi-layer basis....................yet :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just u wait.... :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I didnt really like The Real Story .. it was an uncomfortable read for me .. and the second book wasnt that much better .. though it did improve imo .. it wasnt till I got to the 3rd book that I began to appreciate the complexities involved .. hang in there Vain ..
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Maybe I need to re-try it. I barely made it thru book1 & barely cracked book 2. I should try to make it further thru the series
"You're afraid of yourself."
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I started reading The Gap series Friday night and am well into it. I finished The Real Story on Sat., and finished Forbidden Knowledge on Sun. Now I am in the beginning chapters of A Dark and Hungry God Arises.

Like several others of you, I was very turned off by the graphic sexual violence in The Real Story. I am not sure that it was really necessary to be that graphic. There are ways to hint at that stuff that can be just as effective as a flat-out description. However, I plugged on with the story for two reasons: 1) The story line did interest me enough to make me wonder what was going to happen to the characters. 2) I was infromed by certain people here at KW that it was necessary to get through The Real Story in order to understand the rest of the series. :)

I agree that Angus is a slimey character, but being into the third book already, I wonder how his character will be developed (don't tell me!!! :p)

Back to reading... ;)

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

As much as I am repulsed and horrified by sexual violence, that part of TRS was necessary; it helped explore the psyche of angus and gave an interesting context for Angus' later behaviour (in later books). It showed us the sheer power Morn had in accepting Angus' help and actually freeing him from Nick's control.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Bucky OHare
Giantfriend

Post by Bucky OHare »

What, are you all mentalists? I picked up the first book in a charity shop and thought it was arse. I can't believe I wasted 2 days of my life with that drivel. No plot and crappy characters, and isn't there supposed to be some science in sci-fi? there is much much better sci-fi out there.
Image The Artist Formerly Known as Dr Evil. :drevil:

Return to โ€œThe Gap Seriesโ€