Mhoram

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

mhoram
Servant of the Land

Mhoram

Post by mhoram »

Mhoram

Was he not the most intuitive and far seeing of the new lords - to me he ranks with Kevin and Damelon, if not better
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Personally, I don't rate or rank lords or characters from top to bottom, better or worse, but individually. Meh.

But that being said, ya, Mhoram's awesome. And he's able to find a new way for himself without rending the Land, and finally finds vindication at the end of TPTP. If I really did have to pick a favorite character from The Land...Mhoram would be 1st (well, for the 1st chronicles anyway).
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

He's not my favourite character, but he certainly is one of the coolest people from the Land, and certainly a very powerful Lord.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I dunno. If Prothal were younger when Covenant arrived I think he could have equalled Mhoram. He is the only Lord that I think this of, although Tamarantha and Hyrim come close.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

variol son wrote:I dunno. If Prothal were younger when Covenant arrived I think he could have equalled Mhoram. He is the only Lord that I think this of, although Tamarantha and Hyrim come close.
I don't think so... the Lords were all noble figures, but Prothall and all the others were far too bound to the Oath of Peace to realize Mhoram's breakthrough. Sure, in the face of great danger and loss, the Lords gave their utmost; but even then, they kept the Oath of Peace, and tried not to let their passions flow too wildly. Mhoram was the only one who saw that power comes from passion, and that sets him apart from all the others, I think. That, and the fact that he, more than anyone else, understood Covenant's importance and tried to help him transition from confused, angry traveler to savior of the Land. I for one hope that we may see a last bit of Mhoram in TLC... after all, his specter appeared in the SC, so there's precedent.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

I have to agree with Xar on this one; there is no question Prothall and Dwillian and other Lords were as devoted to the Land as Mhoram, but what made Mhoram great was his ability to see and then act on his convictions.

It must have been very hard for Mhoram to turn away frpm a thousand years of the Oath, facing death agains SatansFist for his new conviction. No other new lord came close to the sacrifice and courage of Mhoram.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

That's because no other lord had the opportunity he had, nor the friendship with Covenant that caused him to question the way things had been done until then.

Had they had the benefit of those things, I believe that some of the other lords could have been almost as great as Mhoram. Not all, certainly. Lords such as Osondrea and Amatin weren't built in such a way.

Hyrim, however, certainly questioned the status quo. Hell, he questioned the Bloodguard and defied the High Lord in asking Covenant to accompany him to Seareach. He also faced a Giant-Raver, striving against the slayer of the Giants themselves, and he also knew the despair of not being sufficient to the task. Even more so, since he wasn't adept at battle like Mhoram.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

variol son wrote: I for one hope that we may see a last bit of Mhoram in TLC... after all, his specter appeared in the SC, so there's precedent.

I personally hope that with the Law of Time broken, we actually GET Mhoram to appear somehow. I think thay Mhoram is on par with the greatest of the Lords as well. His ability as seer led him to the undeniable conclusion that the Law of Peace in and of itself led to despair. To have the conviction to follow up on such a terrible epiphany show unequalled wisdom. Kevin would have been luck to have Mhoram's insight!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

variol son wrote:Hyrim, however, certainly questioned the status quo. Hell, he questioned the Bloodguard and defied the High Lord in asking Covenant to accompany him to Seareach. He also faced a Giant-Raver, striving against the slayer of the Giants themselves, and he also knew the despair of not being sufficient to the task. Even more so, since he wasn't adept at battle like Mhoram.
Absolutely. Hyrim's fight in the Sarangrave and against Kinslaughterer are two of the most moving passages in the First Chrons, right up there with Bannor's explaination of the breaking of the Vow.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cail wrote:
variol son wrote:Hyrim, however, certainly questioned the status quo. Hell, he questioned the Bloodguard and defied the High Lord in asking Covenant to accompany him to Seareach. He also faced a Giant-Raver, striving against the slayer of the Giants themselves, and he also knew the despair of not being sufficient to the task. Even more so, since he wasn't adept at battle like Mhoram.
Absolutely. Hyrim's fight in the Sarangrave and against Kinslaughterer are two of the most moving passages in the First Chrons, right up there with Bannor's explaination of the breaking of the Vow.
Hyrim was brave and mighty, but clearly was no Mhoram.

ImageImage
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Mhoram was the right person in the right place and the right time. There are several people who have the ability, but not the oppurtunity to use it. Or at least that's the way I have always seen it. :)
Last edited by Buckarama on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Absolutely Buckarama. Have Mhoram switch places with Hyrim and I have no doubt that both men would have risen to the respective challenges.

It's easy to say Hyrim was no Mhoram because Hyrim wasn't the major character that Mhoram was. We didn't know him as well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Perhaps. Hyrim, at least as much as we saw of him, did not demonstrate the serenity and depth that wisdom provided Mhoram. He was valiant in the face of a great trial, though.

ImageImage
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

A Gunslinger wrote:Perhaps. Hyrim, at least as much as we saw of him, did not demonstrate the serenity and depth that wisdom provided Mhoram. He was valiant in the face of a great trial, though.
Agreed! :D
Chuchichastli
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Chuchichastli »

I sometimes wonder at Mhoram's achievements after TC defeated Lord Foul...it is conceivable that he may have become at least as mighty as Kevin. He understood profoundly the limitations of the Oath of Peace and, unlike Kevin, had refused to give in to despair when all had seemed lost.

Knowing the secret of the Ritual of Desecration as he did, and having proved himself capable of resisting its temptation in the face of despair, why then didn't he go on and unlock all the other wards of Kevin's Lore? He must have been more than capable. And he would have no need to fear the burden of Kevin's knowledge and power, having already triumphed over despair and the Grey Slayer. Did he perhaps give the Wards a wide berth because he did not trust his colleagues' and successors' ability to cope as he had? Or perhaps because in principle, he still believed in the Oath of Peace (esp. in Foul's absence)? Surely as a seer he must have had some inkling about Foul's return? Perhaps even the Sunbane...I wonder.

Of course, he may even have gone right ahead and created his own lore. Certainly, the Council is said to have worked wonders in the 2,000 years before the birth of the Clave. (Although apparently much of this was made easier because the Law of death had been broken). Either way, I think it's safe to assume that for the duration of his High Lordship, Mhoram would have to have been right up there with the Old Lords in terms of power and wisdom.

I would LOVE it if we got a bit more information on his later life sometime in the Last Chronicles! :biggrin: 8)
Words like 'finance' bore me,
Interest in the world of cash ignores me...
Only when I hunger does it grab me,
Only when I borrow does it stab me...
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Doesnt Mhoram say that his new Council shall creat New Lore that can work in conjunction with the Oath of Peace?

Also Mhoram lost his visions of the future when he learned the secret of the Ritual of Desecration.

So he wouldnt see Foul of the Sunbane in his dreams.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Was there a thread about Fan fiction? I thought some one had pulled the time period for their fan fic. When Mhorma was High Lord after the defeat of Satanfist. Anyway you're right that finding more information would be really cool. Some one ought to make sure this requests gets to SRD and he can make us Fanboys feel needed. :)
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29

The Last Quest of Lord Mhoram by amanibhavam.

Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

A Gunslinger wrote:Perhaps. Hyrim, at least as much as we saw of him, did not demonstrate the serenity and depth that wisdom provided Mhoram. He was valiant in the face of a great trial, though.
Ahh Lord Hyrim. My favorite Lord besides Mhoram; quick wit and humble and valiantly persevering at the end and at such a cost; a heartbreaking story.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

I wrote:
have to agree with Xar on this one; there is no question Prothall and Dwillian and other Lords were as devoted to the Land as Mhoram, but what made Mhoram great was his ability to see and then act on his convictions.

It must have been very hard for Mhoram to turn away frpm a thousand years of the Oath, facing death agains SatansFist for his new conviction. No other new lord came close to the sacrifice and courage of Mhoram.
Variol Son wrote:
That's because no other lord had the opportunity he had, nor the friendship with Covenant that caused him to question the way things had been done until then.

Had they had the benefit of those things, I believe that some of the other lords could have been almost as great as Mhoram. Not all, certainly. Lords such as Osondrea and Amatin weren't built in such a way.
I just can't see it that way. Mhoram wasn't great because of his friendship of Covenant; Mhoram had insight into the RoD because of the sculpture Elena made of Bannor/Covenant. Yes, he knew them well enough to see the paradox of their conflciting natures, but Prothall had the same chance, was in similar circumstances; He also knew Covenant, was High Lord, knew the bloodguard, etc. he just didn't see the fault with the Oath of Peace or what was coming. I dont think anyone else could have.

I do not think any lord would have been interchangeable with Mhoram. He acted as he did because he was Mhoram. I loved Hyrim, and he had his place and did his duty for the Land, but he was a different person than Mhoram and would likely have chosen another path. I am not saying the other Lords were less in battle, less in bravery, or love for the Land, but, true to SRD's style, only the knowledge that the Oath was holding them back would allow the defeat of SatansFist. And only Mhoram was bright enough to see it, brave enough to act. IMHO, of course. :)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”