Someone to play Bannor and the Blooguard

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

Yeah,Tibetan is eastern in away but not what I have pictured for Bannor,IT'S NOT JACKIE CHAN by any means.....
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If they signed up Jackie Chan to play Bannor then I'd know the movie was in the WRONG hands.

Are you thinking Chris Tucker for Covenant, too? :wink:
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Chris Tucker as TC?? Geez, what's this world coming to......However,I saw the trailer for The Protector,Tony Jaa is the actor playing the main character,his moves and look is what I picture Bannor as.The moves are awesome and shows a type of fluid grace and power that Bannor would possess.Also if everybody remembers where the Haruchai homeland was,high in the mountaineous regions that was very dangerous to live in reminds me of the people from the mountains of Japan.Brown skinned,curly haired,very hard physiques..trust me,make the visit there and they've got Haruchai written all over them.....
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Here's Korik, from Gilden Fire:

Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Okay, now find that link to the website "which star do you look like?", and see what it says about that picture.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I think Korik looks more like an american indian to me, but there I go thinking again. :)
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

A mixed between Russian and Korean..

And there are some big Koreans around with darken skin.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
slipperypick
Servant of the Land

Post by slipperypick »

I know that picture of Korik from Gilden-Fire was probably sanctioned by Donaldson, but the face is all wrong for me, if for no other reason than the emotion that is ALL OVER it. I thought the Bloodguard were emotionless, blank and indifferent... I sorta picture "Chief" from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Or even Denzel Washington or Danny Glover, who has a great demeanor for the Bloodguard.
Just my opinion!
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a
happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or
her as far away from a church as you can."
-Frank Zappa
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I always envisioned the Bloodguard as being like the Maori or native Pacific Islander-ish. They have an air of solidness and almost permanance about them. . . I think that it would be believable. :)

~Lyr

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

How about Naveen Andrews?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

A Gunslinger wrote:How about Naveen Andrews?
He's HOT, but not my idea of a Bloodguard. Too sexy. . . :lol: :D

~Lyr

V
Servant of the Land

Someone to play Bannor and the Blooguard

Post by V »

I am assuming no-one from Britain, with any knowledge of or experience of serving with the Gurkha has contributed to this forum yet. If a film of the Chronicles is ever made the Haruchi, including Bannor should be played by the Gurkha. It won't take a huge leap for them to play the parts.

For those of you who don't know:

"Around 1767 the British started to come into contact with a unique and vigorous power on the northern borders of its Indian territories. This power was the city-state of Gorkha led by its dynamic King Prithwi Narayan Shah. Gorkha was a feudal hill village in what is now western Nepal, the village from which the Gurkha takes its name. So powerful that they overran the whole of the hill country from the Kashmir border in the west to Bhutan in the east, the Gurkha eventually came into conflict with the British over boundary disputes and repeated raids into British territory, the Governor General declared war on Nepal in 1814. After two long and bloody campaigns a Peace Treaty was signed at Sugauli in 1816.

During the war a deep feeling of mutual respect and admiration had developed between the British and their adversaries, the British being much impressed by the fighting and other qualities of the Gurkha soldier. Under the terms of the Peace Treaty large numbers of Gurkhas were permitted to volunteer for service in the East India Company's Army. From these volunteers were formed the first regiments of the Gurkha Brigade, and from this time stems Britain's friendship with Nepal, a country which has proved a staunch ally ever since. "

The Gurkha soldier has fought alongside the British soldier in every conflict Britain has had since the early 1800's. It is considered a great honur for young male Gurkha to be chosen to leave Nepal and their families to come to Britain and join one of the Gurkha regiments the serve Queen and country. Even though they are not part of the Commonwealth, she is not their Queen.

During the First/Second World Wars the entire Nepalise Army was put at the disposal of the British, over 100,000 fighting men. In 1940 after the fall of France their Prime Minister remarked, “Does a friend desert a friend in time of need? If you win, we win with you. If you lose, we lose with you” as he placed the whole of the Nepalese Army at the disposal of the British Crown.

They are the bravest fighters in the world, all enemies they have fought against learn to fear them. They are measured and fearless opponents. I had served with the Gurkha prior to reading the Chronicles and I recognised them in the Haruchi immediately.

On duty they are truly impassive, when fighting they are unemotional and the most disciplined of fighters. Off duty they are a very shy people and it takes something to break through their reserve, but when you do you discover a delightfully joyful people, with a wicked sense of humour. It makes the professional side of their character all the more impressive.

Why have people who have to pretend to be Haruchi, when you could have the real thing.

Finally in 1931 an Adjutant of the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Queen Alexandra’s Own Gurkha Rifles wrote:

“As I write these words, my thoughts return to you who were my comrades, the stubborn and indomitable peasants of Nepal. Once more I hear the laughter with which you greeted every hardship. Once more I see you in your bivouacs or about your camp fires, on forced marches or in the trenches, now shivering with wet and cold, now scorched by a pitiless and burning sun. Uncomplaining you endure hunger and thirst and wounds; and at the last your unwavering lines disappear into the smoke and wrath of battle. Bravest of the brave, most generous of the generous, never had a country more faithful friends than you”.

I will ever be grateful that I was lucky enought to serve with these wonderful people and I have the same unlimited admiration for them that the Lords had for the Haruchi, because their avowed friendship of the British is also unbending and extravagant.
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vain-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious & voracious violation of volition.  The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.  
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

One of the experts on FBH (sorry, can't remeber who) mentioned the Ghurkas as the Bloodguard, too. That's really interesting background info!

:goodpost:
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Ghurkas are BAMFs. They'd be perfect as The Bloodguard.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Servant of the Land

Mongolian, or Middle Eastern?

Post by FarFetched »

Anyone from Mongolia would work pretty well, too. There are several nomadic groups in the Gobi desert who live a harsh, isolated life.

Middle eastern might work, too. Strangely enough, whenever I read about Bannor, I always pictured this guy.

He does stoic very well. :)
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I think Micheal Dorn from Star Trek would make an excellent Bloodguard.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Eric Bana?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

his ears are too big! :biggrin:
fall far and well Pilots!
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

I think Korik looks more like an american indian to me, but there I go thinking again.
That, and Korik seems to have tits rather than pecs. Off center even.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

The Ghurkas would work perfectly. I've always thought of the Tibetan and Nepalese, who live in the high world of the Himalaya, as the inspiration for the Haruchai.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”