What do you do for a living?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yeah. . . best thing to do is stay far away from someone, and always be near a door. :P

Actually, the staff at RCF where we usually have incidents is trained in takedowns and Mandt. I had the priviledge to see one go down for the first time not too long ago--same girl as I talked about above. She is a biter, and the object for her is to get her on the ground and restrain her so that she cannot get her mouth near enough to a staff member to bite. Several staff members took her down and basically held her on the ground while she struggled to bite anything she could get near her mouth. All I could do was stand there, and bark orders at the other residents to get and stay the hell out of the room (they all wanted to stand there and watch). I had to get authoratative with a few of them. . . and I think that scared the crap out of them. It worked anyway. I find that the quieter I get, the more seriously they take me. But then, I'm not a yeller in the first place. :)

dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

well we have the pepper spray, never have had to use it. mostly I just calmly explain their options to them. the implications are usely enough...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Because of the nature of my population, none of those options are allowed.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

We are trained in Control & Restraint techniques which are approved by the legal system here in Scotland ( as long as they are applied correctly).

Doesn't usually have to go that far, as the inmates know that it can be VERY painful to be restrained if thay are struggling.

All based on Aikido - very effective.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

we abide by the spray and run school. :) usually in confrontations i turn to find no one backing me up. very uncomfortable feeling...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Aelyria Mireiswen wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but exactly what does an honours degree in neuropsychology lend oneself to? (I expect that it is something that differs only in terms used, but it's always better to ask questions than to assume.)
Basically clinical work (hospitals) with brain injuries or research (which is my strength). However, right now I work in ambulance management for all of Brisbane.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Loremaster wrote: Basically clinical work (hospitals) with brain injuries or research (which is my strength).
That's an awesome field to research in. . . the brain is a fantastic organ, and there is much we don't understand about healing brain injuries now. Bravo!
Loremaster wrote: However, right now I work in ambulance management for all of Brisbane.
Very cool. Is it a stressful job?

~Lyr, curious

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Aelyria Mireiswen wrote:That's an awesome field to research in. . . the brain is a fantastic organ, and there is much we don't understand about healing brain injuries now. Bravo!
Thanks. :) I'm absolutely fascinated by the brain - you can see it in all my writing (fiction, I mean). It's marvellous.
Loremaster wrote:Very cool. Is it a stressful job?

~Lyr, curious
It was, until they sort of promoted me. Now I just review employee behaviour and write up reports or work in ministerials. It's really just a stage before they move me into full psych work.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Loremaster wrote: It was, until they sort of promoted me. Now I just review employee behaviour and write up reports or work in ministerials. It's really just a stage before they move me into full psych work.
That sounds very promising. :D

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Better than being in full psych evaluation :lol:
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Phantasm wrote:Better than being in full psych evaluation :lol:
Yeah. . . I'm certain it is. I've been present for a handful of psychological evaluations at the ER. . . it's never a happy time. But it's usually necessary. :-|

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Aelyria Mireiswen wrote:
Phantasm wrote:Better than being in full psych evaluation :lol:
Yeah. . . I'm certain it is. I've been present for a handful of psychological evaluations at the ER. . . it's never a happy time. But it's usually necessary. :-|
My sister in law is coming over in a few weeks....can you hop a plane to Wisconsin? Bring a straight jacket and some dilautid.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Umm. . . I don't do that kind of thing. I generally bring the person to the ER for the psych eval. Sometimes I've had to do a lot of fast talking to convince the person to go to the hospital. Other times, I've gotten sworn afadavits that the person is a danger to self/others. Generally my clients have legal guardians, and as such have no choice in the matter. :)

If your sister-in-law is a danger to herself, or others (imminent danger) call the police out and ask them to do a "96 hour hold"or however long they are in your state. I'm telling you, though. . . it's tough as hell to get one unless you can prove the person is actively homicidal or suicidal. Good luck. . . ;)
Last edited by Wyldewode on Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Aelyria Mireiswen wrote:Umm. . . I don't do that kind of thing. I generally bring the person to the ER for the psych eval. Sometimes I've had to do a lot of fast talking to convince the person to go to the hospital. Other times, I've gotten sworn afadavits that the person is a danger to self/others. Generally my clients have legal guardians, and as such have no choice in the matter. :)

If your sister-in-law is a danger to herself, or others (iminent danger) call the police out and ask them to do a "96 hour hold"or however long they are in your state. I'm telling you, though. . . it's tough as hell to get one unless you can prove the person is actively homicidal or suicidal. Good luck. . . ;)

I tell you, if she spends more than 18 hours here, it will be me who is BOTH homicidal and suicidal.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

:LOLS:

surrender
Stonedownor

Post by surrender »

well lets see here. i work as a waitress. i run like crazy around a small hometown diner here in Wallaceburg Ontario (Canada)... i do dishes, flip burgers, and serve up the food. i am also in school, so that takes up most of my time. im studying to get into college for radio and telivision broadcasting! i love communications! ive been on the yearbook, actually i was the editor lasy year, and i do announcements at the school! lol yeah im a busy girl but i get by!

-s-
i just roll my eyes and make a beeline for the door but i always end up starryeyed crosslegged on the floor, hanging onto every word. MAN the things i heard!

-----you surrender all to the world around you, i surrender all to the One who created it.-----
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

surrender wrote:well lets see here. i work as a waitress. i run like crazy around a small hometown diner here in Wallaceburg Ontario (Canada)... i do dishes, flip burgers, and serve up the food. i am also in school, so that takes up most of my time. im studying to get into college for radio and telivision broadcasting! i love communications! ive been on the yearbook, actually i was the editor lasy year, and i do announcements at the school! lol yeah im a busy girl but i get by!

-s-
Wow. . you do sound busy! Best wishes on your dream career. . . and welcome to the Watch!

~Lyr

surrender
Stonedownor

Post by surrender »

yeah thanks!!! definately busy though! just got home from work!!!!!
i just roll my eyes and make a beeline for the door but i always end up starryeyed crosslegged on the floor, hanging onto every word. MAN the things i heard!

-----you surrender all to the world around you, i surrender all to the One who created it.-----

Return to “General Discussion Forum”