One red Paper clip.

Links to the outside world.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

One red Paper clip.

Post by drew »

An intersting idea, and it seems to be working.

oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

although I have nothing against Alice Cooper, I'd say his last trade went backwards.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

jus read an article that most of these net schemes don't work. unless you are a woman trying to get breast implants.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

...but I thought you were! :P :P :P :P 8O :lol: :D :D :D :D 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

ahem.

>edited for good taste<
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Well unless this guy is lying..he's on his way.
From a paperclip to a free condo for a year in eleven trades is pretty good.
But like I said; why would he trade the year in the condo for a day with alice cooper is beyond me.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

-He got a house.

14 trades from a paperclip in one year and he is being given a house by a small twon in Saskatcheweon.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Have to give the man credit.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

After the success and widespread fame of this scheme the paper clip is now worth more on e-bay than the house.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I heard an interview with him on NPR on Labor Day, and he talked about marketing himself. Other people talked about how he was an inspiration. . . :screwy: I even heard that he is writing a book now. :roll:

I think it's a story that Americans love: the something for nothing story. Just like a lottery. The man was able to make trades because of the publicity it garnered the celebrities and/or companies. If there had been no media attention, the story would have been different. I don't grudge the man his house. He got it fair and square (and let's be frank--it's probably worth less than what he traded for it). I just don't see how people feel that this concept will revolutionize business and/or life in America. Let's everyone jump on the bandwagon now. . .
:soapbox:

~Lyr

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

on that note. i will post and art supply thread, you all send me supplies and i produce art that most likely will never see the light of day. a modern harvey darger i say. what say?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

How 'bout we send you random things and you *have* to use whatever we send you in a piece? You could do a sign up and everything. . . make a submission date to be included and such. It sounds like real art to me. . like ephemera collages. By the by. . . I work in collages sometimes. :)

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i also work in collage. but i have specific art projects i need to finish before starting even more. :) so will you be posting a collage or two?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yes, eventually. :P I usually give mine away, and currently own none of my own work. The next time I make one I will post it for sure. :)

I have already posted some of my photos on the Art Thread and the Photography thread.

~Lyr

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Aelyria Mireiswen wrote:I heard an interview with him on NPR on Labor Day, and he talked about marketing himself. Other people talked about how he was an inspiration. . . :screwy: I even heard that he is writing a book now. :roll:

I think it's a story that Americans love: the something for nothing story. Just like a lottery. The man was able to make trades because of the publicity it garnered the celebrities and/or companies. If there had been no media attention, the story would have been different. I don't grudge the man his house. He got it fair and square (and let's be frank--it's probably worth less than what he traded for it). I just don't see how people feel that this concept will revolutionize business and/or life in America. Let's everyone jump on the bandwagon now. . .
:soapbox:

~Lyr
While it's true that he would probably have failed miserably without all the publicity, the fact is that man successfully traded his way from a paperclip to house, and unlike winning the lottery it took some elbow grease, determination and ingenuity to do it.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

As I said, I do not grudge him his house, and I think he found a new angle that worked for him--a way of thinking "outside of the box" as corporate America is so fond of saying. He did work for his house. He did the marketing of his product--the trading of the paperclip. It worked. My only point is that I fail to see how this episode will be significant to the business world in 100 years. Like many other trends that have been over-marketed, I would not be surprised to see the book end up at the $1 store in 2-3 years.

I am not so much harping on him, as I am harping on the general trend to overmarket something, and to embrace the bandwagon theme.

Nevermind. . . it's no big deal.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Early on, he only did a few interviews on the CBC; but once Alice Copper got involved, well that certanly helped with the marketing--there's a clip on his blog of his concert with Alice.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar

Return to “Haven Farm”