Am I the only one who thinks MN is just a tad like Amber?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

Am I the only one who thinks MN is just a tad like Amber?

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

I mean, if you take the view that Mordant is the hub and all images are "shadows" (Ahem...Chrons of AMber) then yeah it's a lot alike, but if all the worlds of the MN series are equal with Mordant itself, which is almost the theory of KJ and everyone else who thinks images aren't real 'til they come out of the mirror.....Then it's still like Amber...weren't creatures from Shadows of amber considered real? I don't really know, I haven't read but about half the series...pardon me if this has already been discussed.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I would say that there is quite a difference between Mordant and Amber. And even more so between the books in the two series.

Basically the origin of Amber is discussed much more thoroughly in the last five books. (The Merlin books) But in any case shadows are not considered less real than Amber per se, it is only that they are considered less solid. Nobody doubts that the shadows are actually there, but there is some debate as to just exactly what they are. Anyway the Courts of Chaos is definitely real and the worlds around it has an existence that is verifiably different from Amber. This makes it a bipolar universe, sort of, and thus different from Mordant where such matters are not really discussed at all.

I Mordant the point of debate seems to be if the images have a separate existence or not. In Amber shadows definitely have a separate existence, they are just not like Amber.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Drinny
Stonedownor

Post by Drinny »

Nice comparison to Amber. And good timing for me personally, since i just finished rereading Amber books 1-5 :)

Well, there is some similarity. But the specifics are very different. Besides Ryzels accurate points, what I find interesting in Amber is that Shadows are 'shadows' of substance. That is, when there is something in Amber, it casts shadows of varying similarity (depending on how close to Amber you are). So there is some sort of ordering of things, with all shadows replicas in some way of the true substances (Amber, Chaos also?) - but less 'solid' (but maybe not all shadows are replicas of substance?). Anyhow in MN there is no such ordering, there just exist many realities, with one certain one in the unique position of being able to contact the others, via Imagery.

Both series are based on clever ideas, I think.
Merle
Servant of the Land

Post by Merle »

Yes, the shadows near Amber are more orderly and Amber-like. One would expect to find our Earth on the Amber end of things. The farther "out" you go from Amber, the more Chaotic things become, until you get to the Courts themselves.
Brick killed a guy! Did you throw a trident?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ah Amber is one of my passions. Perhaps I should read MN if it is similar?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Perhaps you should... :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

You should definitely read Mordant's Need, whether you like Amber or not.

Do you have anything to say about the "Dawn of Amber" book, or whatever it is called?
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I read them both, yes. First of the series was okay, Ryzel, but the second was very good! Oberon has always been a cool character; he just got better with these books.

I'll check out Mordant's Need, Danlo. :)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. mayhap i should read Amber if it is like MN ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “Mordant's Need”