Pantheon 2.0 - Rules and Comments Thread

Moderator: Xar

Simjen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Simjen »

My point about the oath: The greeks used to swear, holding their testicles, hence the word 'testify.' I believe the meaning was that if they lied, they'd lose 'em. It would keep me honest. but if we said, for example, "I swear by the Allfather that I did not cut down that cherry tree." If it is proven by another that one did cut down the cherry tree (or if the Allfather heard the oath and knew it to be false), the Allfather would then punish the person who swore falsely.

It's an idea, anyway.
Said she, "What I get I get out of the fire,
So prithee, strike home and redouble the blow."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I like it.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Doesn't Xar punish us enough already? ;)
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

Simjen said:

The greeks used to swear, holding their testicles, hence the word 'testify.'
What if you don't have testicles? :roll:

Anyway, did I read that right? Did someone edit their PM?

I guess gods need rules too. :wink:

Nor, don't leave. The game is much more interesting with you in it.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Jove wrote:Nor, don't leave. The game is much more interesting with you in it.
Thanks. I wont, I was just annoyed about the whole pming issue - that Queea claims me a breaker of treaties yet he has been planning to break the treaty from day one.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

<--- totally confused...

See? This is why I'm only an observer.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That is the other result of having private dealings--people are left out of the loop, even other players, and are left puzzled when it spills out into the open.
It is entirely likely each of us will go around playing our game and remain entirely ignorant of what another player has been doing the whole time.
Vadhaka
Giantfriend

Post by Vadhaka »

If you weren't an observer Menolly, you'd have a better idea of what was going on... ;)

OK, obviously something annoying happened, glad to see it's over with no casualties.

I agree with Simjen. Take it with a grain (or more) of salt. Only things direct from Xar are the truth, everybody else, you take your chances.

PM's are indispensible. The game wouldn't work if there weren't some form of private communication. Or at least, it would be vastly different, because everybody would be on their own.

As for editing PM's...oh I finally figured out what you meant. :lol: You mean selective editing so that what one said can be taken out of context in speaking to another. Haha. Never occurred to me. I rarely quote anyway.

I don't mind a binding oath, everything I actually say is almost always true in some sense. But I agree that it shouldn't be sworn frivolously, and that the AllFather should always be called to witness it.

Waddley...great post. It's a game people. :D I get frustrated, but the mental workout is great.

Oh...spreadsheet...great idea Murrin. :D I just use a word document to keep track. Of course, it's 40 pages long already... :D

The spreadsheet thing is damn clever...but it's a lot of work, and I'm not sure my excel is good enough. :lol:
Death To All Fanatics!
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I have gmail. If there's anything I need to remember, I use the search feature.

Ya'lls methods of tracking have got me feeling rather inadequate.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It might as well just be a list on paper, for all the work it takes. It's just a list of all the things I think I might want to do something about in a turn, with other notes so I know where my power is going. Not even worth doing most of it, but at least I don't forget things.
The other list is more useful--the one that lets me rank everyone by followers and increase of followers. Just so I know where everyone stands. And that's just a list, too. Just use Data>Sort to arrange it.

Edit--Of course, I also label all my turn emails "Pantheon" on gmail, so I can see them all listed with one click.
Vadhaka
Giantfriend

Post by Vadhaka »

I'm one up on you there at least...I have a whole seperate address. :D Maybe I'll see about transfering my list to excel...but then, do you simply replace the values each time? How do you deal with the changing stats?
Death To All Fanatics!
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Personally, I find using a wiki to be very useful. It may not have the sort function of Excel, but a wiki allows you to be very flexible in the editing process, and it can contain everything you need - in my case, the events of all gods, the status of each god, the rules of the game, the behind-the-scenes material, and so on.

Incidentally, the wiki I use doesn't require server capabilities, is self-contained in a html document (so you can also carry it with you in a USB stick, if you wanted), and it doesn't use pages as much as "tiddlers", so that you can open more than one thing at the same time (very useful when defining the events for the next turn, or to keep an eye on the evolution of an event from the first notification to the situation it has turned into). If you are interested, the wiki I use can be downloaded freely at: www.tiddlywiki.com . It's relatively easy to use, but there are also tutorials in case you're lost ;) Besides, those of you who see me on MSN can always ask for help :P

As for the other point... Waddley said it well enough, I think. This is just a game, and if any of you gets annoyed at someone else's actions, just take a deep breath, leave the computer for a while, let yourself cool down, then come back and gut the guy :P In any case, I am amenable to setting up this "godly oath" procedure, especially if some or all of you feel this would make things better and/or less annoying.

Edit: here are a couple of pictures from the wiki I have, so you can have an idea about what it looks like:

The main page (the names of the players have been removed for privacy reasons :P)

An example of two tiddlers open at the same time (useful for comparison purposes)
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Oh by the way, it is quite likely that this week's turn will be at least a couple of days late, but it might even be skipped at all. Sorry guys, but I have to finish a presentation for a symposium on tuesday and I'm supposed to talk in front of a Nobel prize winner, so I'd rather be prepared ;) And after that I have to prepare my dissection for Runes, so... I hope I'll have time to prepare the turn, but I wanted to warn you that perhaps I won't be able to :(
Mithyaat Vam
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mithyaat Vam »

Waddley Hasselhoff wrote:Nothing to see here. These are not the gods you're looking for.

Move along, move along.

------
Waddley, master of jedi-like hand movements

What? Move along? Did you just tell me to move along??

Do you need to rethink how you direct ascendants mortal? Have some respect or I'll make you watch your car being stolen in a recurring dream.
...and on the last day we feasted, like carrion, on her dreams.
~Irvea - from The Death of Mithyaat Vam
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Dude, I just got owned.

Really sad thing is, I had a dream last night where I saw my car driving away and I tried to chase it in my friend's car, but I couldn't catch it.

I'm going to go sob myself to sleep.

------
Waddley- the carless, the sad.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

No problem, Xar. Been there, done that. The only reason I can play the game now is that I graduate next week. YAHOOO!!!!!
The King has one more move.
Bhakti
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Bhakti »

But moves are still due by 11pm GMT Saturday, right?
Murrin wrote:Doesn't Xar punish us enough already? ;)
Among the best lines of Pantheon 2.0! :lol:
I am the self-fulfilling prophecy. Give love, and you WILL receive love. Let your every answer, your every action and reaction, your every desire, be rooted in love.
Benito Alvarez
Giantfriend

Post by Benito Alvarez »

Vadhaka wrote:I'm one up on you there at least...I have a whole seperate address. :D Maybe I'll see about transfering my list to excel...but then, do you simply replace the values each time? How do you deal with the changing stats?

Dude! Use gmail spreadsheets. Thats what I did!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Vadhaka wrote:I'm one up on you there at least...I have a whole seperate address. :D Maybe I'll see about transfering my list to excel...but then, do you simply replace the values each time? How do you deal with the changing stats?
At the minute I just go through the list in the Game Thread and copy in the new values (after moving the old ones into the other column). The differences are just column 1 minus column 2, of course.

Edit: I just went and tried out Google Spreadsheets. Infuriating. You can't move the cells by click+drag--you have to cut and paste. and half the time it doesn't copy, or refuses to paste, or whatever. I need to be able to drag stuff about to arrange things.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I cant believe people are using spreadsheets. :lol: What next, D&D character sheets and hex maps? ;)

Return to “Pantheon”