Which character would you be?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

When I say I'm like Nick, I mean I share more qualities with him than with any other single character in the Gap. If we go outside the Gap, I'm vastly more like Covenant than Nick. But that's not the question.

I think I share Nick's temper, his viciousness, his consuming grudges, his deceit (of both himself and others, though his self-deception is more subtle), and probably other things I can't recall at this moment. Fortunately, in me, most of these are potential and don't really arise, partly because they're balanced by other qualities that are more like Min Donner, and partly because I've never been exposed to the kind of extreme circumstances that might make such behaviour seem like a good idea. But I can definitely feel Nick-like tendencies bubbling beneath the surface.

I also have a tendency to snarl like Nick/Angus when angry or thwarted.
Last edited by CovenantJr on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Loremaster wrote:When Tazz states there's a bit of 'Nick deep down', perhaps what he means is that there's a bit of something that deep down we share with Nick. Perhaps the selfish, self-aggrandizing, superficial part. Also, a part that wants revenge. But let's not make an important error - Nick was bad or evil. He sold Morn to the Amnion, and as Vector said, the crew had done some bad things because of him. I don't think any of us would go that far. I can fairly state that yes we are all like him but we really aren't.
Great points, guys.
Despite Nick's faults, I still felt sorry for the guy. SRD went into quite some detail about Nick's early years in FK - it all began before Sorus. He was a kid on a station who fell in love with ship travel. They started "damaging" him early when Captain's Fancy's original captain fobbed off his ambition to become crew. And his parents weren't exactly supportive of his ambitions either - in fact, they were downright buggers for their dismissal of his wishes. When you see your dreams go up in smoke, it does tend to sour you somewhat. The kid Nick saw his opportunities and seized them, for better or worse. Then Sorus came along, f*cked him over and left an indelible mark on an already scarred psyche. I personally know a LOT of blokes who were 'damaged' early by women who f*cked them over in their youth. Some guys can't let go of that mistrust/fear - EVER (believe me, I tried to turn them around, for all the f*ckin good that did me!)

And Morn is no goody-two-shoes either. Her damage came from Angus -SRD even wrote at one point early on in FK that Morn might have loved, or at least desired, Nick at one point IF SHE'D MET HIM BEFORE ANGUS, IF SHE'D NEVER MET ANGUS. If she hadn't been so brutalized by Captain Thermo-pile, things might have been different. It's obvious Nick fell for her hard, and her betrayal cost him his sanity. But his last words were "Morn...God.." so he realised what it all cost him in the end. He did the Amnion thing to her in revenge for her duplicity. And I dare anyone to say that at sometime or another they haven't dreamed, if not attempted ,some form of revenge. It is a very natural human affliction. Ingrained even. Some people have a more highly developed sense of logic/honor/morals so they don't act upon it. Others do. But everyone THINKS it at some point in their lives.

I can't hate Nick for what he did or became. I feel too sorry for him.
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Elfgirl wrote:I personally know a LOT of blokes who were 'damaged' early by women who f*cked them over in their youth. Some guys can't let go of that mistrust/fear - EVER
I am in the same boat, so to speak. I can understand Nick's pain or anger, but the difference with me is that I went off on a tangent and turned my pain into energy - my drive to succeed. Or perhaps I write and study to escape the misery. Regardless, Nick had the chance to turn away from his pain, but in a sense, he fuels it.

Elfgirl wrote: He did the Amnion thing to her in revenge for her duplicity. And I dare anyone to say that at sometime or another they haven't dreamed, if not attempted ,some form of revenge. It is a very natural human affliction. Ingrained even. Some people have a more highly developed sense of logic/honor/morals so they don't act upon it. Others do. But everyone THINKS it at some point in their lives.
After the all the fear that the characters showed towards mutation - to the loss of identity - selling Morn to the Amnion was just malicious. Sure, Angus did it, but he tried to redeem himself. But Nick never did that. And all because Morn faked it and lied about the child? That form of revenge is too much.

But yes, we think of revenge, but never that way - it's like murder.

Excellent post, Elfgirl.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Loremaster wrote: I am in the same boat, so to speak. I can understand Nick's pain or anger, but the difference with me is that I went off on a tangent and turned my pain into energy - my drive to succeed. Or perhaps I write and study to escape the misery.
Well, you are pretty rare then, Lore. A lot of people would just wallow in their sorrows, or seek revenge. Turning pain into positive energy takes a lot of will power, so props to you for that. I spent four days in bed not eating, not sleeping, just crying my eyes out when my boyfriend dumped me. It took eight months of drugs/drink/therapy to get over it. Then I let my imagination run riot plotting his downfall. Imagination only. I did go down to the local shooting range to practice with a Beretta 9mm, but that was part of the therapy...
Loremaster wrote:Excellent post, Elfgirl.
Ya, danke! :D
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Dirty Whirl
Woodhelvennin

Post by Dirty Whirl »

Someone who doesn't die. I was sad that vector died, I was thinking that he was the only one who could possibly keep reinventing the antimutagen so that the amnion couldn't make it redundant. A lot more useful then angus flying off into space to continue piracy.
I also wouldn't want to be davis... with his elevated endocrine system and lack of childhood I expect a lot of problems for him. Mikka defined herself by who she served, so shes in for a mess... I'd prob be the fat captain, he was pretty cool.
She looked like a crowned vestal, somehow both powerful and fragile, as if she could shatter his bones with a glance and yet would fall from her seat at the touch of a single hurled handful of mud. She daunted him.
- TIW
Warden
Stonedownor

Post by Warden »

Just my $0.02 worth. Warden is the one true hero of the story.

He assessed earth's need and decided, rightly, that Holt wasn't the way forward. He used his position, uncanny ability to judge people and the loyalty he so richly deserved to place the right people in the right place at the right time and so do right by the people of Earth, and in true hero fashion gave his life for the cause.
When you can't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie
Dirty Whirl
Woodhelvennin

Post by Dirty Whirl »

He was... but he ended up dead. Plus it seemed like he didn't have a girlfriend or anything for like the whole history of his life! lame, but I suppose somebody has to restore honour and decency to the whole human race
She looked like a crowned vestal, somehow both powerful and fragile, as if she could shatter his bones with a glance and yet would fall from her seat at the touch of a single hurled handful of mud. She daunted him.
- TIW
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Someone who doesn't die.
I'm right with you, whirl. I'll play along, but really, who would ever want to be a character in an SRD book? It's torture, even if you survive, and there really isn't a safe place to stand and watch.

(To the tune of the Oscar Meyer song)
Oh, I'm glad I'm not a character in the GAP
That is what I'd truly hate to be-e-e
For if I were a character in the GAP
There would soon be nothing left of me!

Sixten Vertigus is fairly safe, and I'd get to meet Min. A kaze (or two) is worth that. Meeting Koina would also be perq.
ItisWritten

Return to “The Gap Series”