So who has read the Second Anthology?

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Hey, Google has a link to the anthology!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah--on the search I just did it appeared right above "Britney and Kevin Watch", "Kevin's Watch Collecting Page", and "Kevin Watch", a blog documenting the life of a baby pigeon. :lol:
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

OK, guys. Here's our first outside commentary. This is from my sister the publisher.
I finally had a chance this week to sit down and read your second anthology. Congratulations, I think you should be really pleased with this one! I think you said you were planning to be a bit more demanding with the authors this time, and the result shows.

For me Todd Caldwell is always a favorite, and I personally also liked Best in Show and Let's Make a Deal very much. The poetry was powerful. Overall, I thought this one had a dynamic feel that really carried the reader through the book. Great job on organizing the order of the stories!

What are Pier's plans with his work? He seems to have the basis of a novel here -- is he planning to put his stories together into a longer piece? I think it would be worthwhile; this story really held my interest, and I want to know what happens in the end!

Again, congratulations! I think you did a great job here. What are your future plans? Are you working on another one?
:biggrin:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

She likes us! She really likes us! :banana:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The coworker I leant the anthology too finished it the other day. She said every story/poem was outstanding.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

We should start stalking the publishers to see if they're interested in a whole bunch of outstanding authors :P
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Xar wrote:We should start stalking the publishers to see if they're interested in a whole bunch of outstanding authors :P
But what about the authors of the Anthology? ;)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Xar wrote:We should start stalking the publishers to see if they're interested in a whole bunch of outstanding authors :P
You've already done that -- since I'm becoming a publisher. :D

www.calderwoodbooks.com
Last edited by Dragonlily on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

JOY! |G

Always good to see you. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

*hugs* VS

Look again -- I edited it.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Dragonlily wrote:
You've already done that -- since I'm becoming a publisher. :D

www.calderwoodbooks.com
Hmm, now THAT is interesting... care to elaborate? :P
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Yep, working on my dream of e-publishing. The plan is to open with a catalog good enough to put us on the map, and then keep our books good enough that even stubborn tree-book readers will want to read them.

So yes, we are accepting submissions now, and you are invited. The Submissions page will tell you what types of books we don't take, which is few.

I won't be the one making the decisions whether to accept my friends' books, you understand, just as my partners won't be deciding about their friends' books. That way we avoid bias. So when you are accepted, you will know it is for merit. :)
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

That's rather intriguing, you know :P Out of curiosity, how do you plan to promote the books? Also, I was reading through the FAQ, where it mentions that most e-book publishers also offer P.O.D. services: however, I haven't noticed any mention of P.O.D. services from your company, so I assume you only intend to deal in e-books, at least for now?
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'd like to expand to POD later, when we can afford it. Most e-publishers who go out of business do it because they have spent too much money. Our author partner says her sales are good in ebook and small in POD, so she isn't enthusiastic. I think it's part of the wave of the future -- once POD publishers figure out how to get their costs down. "A new, more responsive publishing industry" is my rallying cry, and POD is needed to be part of that.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Dragonlily wrote:I'd like to expand to POD later, when we can afford it. Most e-publishers who go out of business do it because they have spent too much money. Our author partner says her sales are good in ebook and small in POD, so she isn't enthusiastic. I think it's part of the wave of the future -- once POD publishers figure out how to get their costs down. "A new, more responsive publishing industry" is my rallying cry, and POD is needed to be part of that.
That sounds sensible - especially since PODs can be useful for people who don't/can't access a computer or a portable e-book reader, as well as a nice conversation piece ;) I do have two more questions (sorry, I'm curious, I know :P): first of all, what would be the average price of an e-book in your case? And, second, apart from the website you listed, do you have any plans for promoting books in other ways as well?
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm told that ebook prices are pretty much set by number of pages. We'll do whatever is standard as far as price goes.

The usual for ebooks, too, unless one of my partners turns out to be a promotions genius. Reviews and contests. The contract shares responsibility for promotions between publisher and author.

The main publicity strategy is to build a reputation for providing good reads. Only word of mouth can do that.

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”