The Kemper Revisited...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I've also been wondering about the two storms that collided. They felt natural to Linden, but it's a practical certainty that someone sent them anyway. Findail trying to make Linden claim the ring is a good choice, but Kasreyn could also be at fault. Perhaps they both created one storm each.

I think there was a clear implication that the croyel had told Kasreyn about the white gold and that it was at his reach.

As for the power of the yellow gold, I'm tending towards Earthpower. Gold is a color associated with Earthpower, as is seen for example in the golden gleams in the hurtloam. I think malice didn't shine from Kasreyn's works because of his method, which was far more detached and technological than, say, Drool Rockworm's. He did magic with his mind instead of his heart.

I think the croyel will be major plot point in the Last Chronicles.
Spoiler
I think Linden will make a deal with one to keep her alive despite her having been shot to the heart. We have seen her sliding towards the ends justifying the means mindset already. Linden damned beyond redemption? I wonder how that would work out in the end.
I also think Nom will make a return of some sort, that's a hanging plot thread if I've ever seen one, and yellow gold probably will too.
The Dark Overlord
Woodhelvennin

Post by The Dark Overlord »

Yes!! I want Nom back, Nom rules!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Peven wrote:great thread, plenty of interesting conjecture. one thing that keeps popping up that i am bothered by is the assumption that gold has the power of "wild magic". i don't remember any specific statement to that effect in the books, so i am wondering why people are making that assumption. just because gold has magical qualities why does that mean it is wild magic?
Good point, Peve. White gold is merely a means of articulation, like a staff or a stone or a piece of wood. Regular gold is probably lesser than white gold, in the way that regular wood is lesser than high wood, or that a regular staff is inferior to a Lord's staff.

However, if Kasreyn gets Covenant to give him his white gold ring, then of course Covenant's power is ceded as well as the physical ring. So Kasreyn's expectations of that specific white gold remain valid.
ScrapOSamadhi
Stonedownor

Origin of the Croyel

Post by ScrapOSamadhi »

I tend to go back to the early story of how Lord Foul contaminated the Creator's creation. I believe it was something like "standing at his side, throwing dross into his forge" (give or take - I don't have LFB with me).

The "dross" were banes of evil power. The Illearth Stone was one, Mount Thunder had much other evil in it (such that it would oneday move to clense itself). As we've seen long term exposure to these banes warp natural life. Maybe the Coryels started out natural and was subverted or are the expression of such a bane themselves.

It is interesting to note (probably for another thread), but where did the Ravers come from. Foul didn't create them - directly - as they were born of a human woman. Perhaps he impregnated her. It did say that they were old in the land before he cast his shadow there. Only when they went east did they fall under his sway.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

There's some Raver discussion here. :)
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

The Dark Overlord wrote:Yes!! I want Nom back, Nom rules!
The return of Nom would make me giggle and smile, or bring a tear to my eye. I hope I get to find out which.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

What do you think Nom would be like? He gained intelligence from rending and consuming the raver didn't he? A creature as powerful as Nom with intelligence as well - surely he must've been up to great things somewhere!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
SothuTheUnfetterdOne.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by SothuTheUnfetterdOne. »

Ok I have a theory. What if the Kemper Is from our world I read through this
whole topic twice and no one seems to have thought of that.
See if Lord Foul had summond him he not only could have put him any where
he wanted, but he could have had taken over by a Croyel.

Just thinking :D :D
I have learned a lot in the Modern Art of words.

Poetry is the Art of words, random is the modern art.
Mhorram's Revenge
Servant of the Land

Post by Mhorram's Revenge »

That's a great theory. He seemed a strange fit for the world of the 'Land' - his method of magic, behaviour, and personality would be a much better fit if he'd been plucked from Earth and stuck with a croyel...
SothuTheUnfetterdOne.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by SothuTheUnfetterdOne. »

Thank you.
I have learned a lot in the Modern Art of words.

Poetry is the Art of words, random is the modern art.
Mhorram's Revenge
Servant of the Land

Post by Mhorram's Revenge »

I bet he was an accountant in his earth life...
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

caamora wrote:I agree, Ryzel.

I would hate the thought that it was Prothall gone bad!
I would give anything to have Prothall return- bad would be better. I don't think any good guys have turned true evil, Trell having started his RoD is not quite the same as outright villainy.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”